PDA

View Full Version : Fixing previous panel paint 'touch-up' with clear-coat: Where to begin?

Bornin1992
08-21-2022, 10:58 PM
Hi, all,

My friend has agreed to allow me to work on his vehicle. A few years ago, he managed to damage the rear passenger door. Originally he used generic green automotive paint that looked 'close enough'. Recently, he acquired the correct colour (SprayMax FillClean mixed at local automotive supply store) and painted over the previous paint, finishing it with clear coat.

Where do I begin? My instinct is the entire panel (or at least half of it) needs to be sanded down to bare metal at which point it can be properly corrected with the use of glazing putty and body filler, etc.

Thanks!

Bornin1992
08-22-2022, 10:45 AM
Any ideas?

Bobby B.
08-22-2022, 11:00 AM
Take it to a quality body shop and have it professionally repaired. Might need a replacement door skin and blending into adjacent panels.

Bornin1992
08-22-2022, 12:49 PM
Take it to a quality body shop and have it professionally repaired. Might need a replacement door skin and blending into adjacent panels.

Bringing it to a quality body shop is obviously a good idea but how would one go about it as a do it yourself project?

opie
08-22-2022, 01:02 PM
If its a do it yourselfer job, doubt youll get a nice blend job. Personally id find a replacement door from a donor vehicle and respray it off the vehicle , then install it and it is what it is.

Otherwise pay the money to have a good body shop to do a correct blend job

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Bobby B.
08-22-2022, 01:24 PM
Search Junk yards for the same door in good shape. Sand, prep, prime, sand, prep, paint, clear coat, buff, polish, and reinstall door. Very time consuming and may cost a lot of money purchasing the materials for DIY project.

Search YouTube for step by step automotive painting guide. This will help give you an idea on what's involved and what supplies are needed. Good luck!