PDA

View Full Version : Lake Country HDO/CCS

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

noorth
09-08-2022, 01:47 AM
Hi folks, being a sucker for trying different pads and polishes i picked up an orange HDO/CCS pad to prep my paint for cancoat.

Anyone use them? Seems most of the long throw pads in the industry are open cell. I was drawn to the CCS because it lists smooth operation as one of its features due to the dimples(less friction) and i love my orange SDO.

One thing I noticed with the rupes yellow foam is it can skip for instance.

Looking forward to my order!!

noorth
09-12-2022, 11:55 PM
Just another note: I recently found out the relatively famous detailer Yvan Lacroix highly recommends waffle pads and he's not keen on flat faced pads. CCS pads which in theory are somewhat similar to waffle pads.

Any insights into this? I know he talks about heat generation and the cooler the surface the faster the cut.

I found it very intriguing..

dlc95
09-13-2022, 04:18 AM
These are my new favorite pads.

Lake Country sent us a sample (blue HDC CCS) with some replacements they sent a while back.

I finally broke it out over the weekend due to extra work we had.

Where the flat HDO was jumpy and hard to control without using WAY too much polish, the HDO CCS ran so much smoother. Four pea sized drops of 3D ONE and the Duetto floated over the paint.

As far as the heat dissipation being similar to waffle?. I honestly couldn't say. No heat detection device in the shop.

These are still open cell foams, but the dimples are "collapsed" rather than closed.

I'm currently in the process of selling off all of my old Rupes and Buff and Shine pads to replace them with the HDO, and SDO CCS. I don't usually do that unless I'm over the moon with something. I am over the moon with these pads!

My understanding is that Lake Country wants to do away with their Original cutback flat and CCS lines, and just run with the HDO/SDO lines for orbital polishers. They also mentioned that the classic orange is the same as their HDO. I used to hate that foam, but I've gotten used to it it seems. Works much better as a polishing pad than a cutting pad. I think the black foam is the same or similar as well. The blue is unique though. Very dense, yet very efficient at removing defects and leaving an awesome finish. Reminds me of an updated take on the closed cell (Hydrotech) approach, with an open cell pad - very tight cell structure, but very dense, and a but compression resistant.

noorth
09-13-2022, 04:28 AM

Lake Country sent us a sample (blue HDC CCS) with some replacements they sent a while back.

Where the flat HDO was jumpy and hard to control without using WAY too much polish, the HDO CCS ran so much smoother. Four pea sized drops of 3D ONE and the Duetto floated over the paint.

As far as the heat dissipation being similar to waffle?. I honestly couldn't say. No heat detection device in the shop.

These are still open cell foams, but the dimples are "collapsed" rather than closed.

I'm currently in the process of selling off all of my old Rupes and Buff and Shine pads to replace them with the HDO, and SDO CCS. I don't usually do that unless I'm over the moon with something. I am over the moon with these pads!

My understanding is that Lake Country wants to do away with their Original cutback flat and CCS lines, and just run with the HDO/SDO lines for orbital polishers. They also mentioned that the classic orange is the same as their HDO. I used to hate that foam, but I've gotten used to it it seems. Works much better as a polishing pad than a cutting pad. I think the black foam is the same or similar as well. The blue is unique though. Very dense, yet very efficient at removing defects and leaving an awesome finish. Reminds me of an updated take on the closed cell (Hydrotech) approach, with an open cell pad - very tight cell structure, but very dense, and a but compression resistant.

Awesome! I have the blue SDO pad it is a tough bugger. I was going to wash it out before my yearly polish to break it in. Likewise my yellow and white rupes pads.

The smooth operating - less skipping - characteristics of these pads is what has gained my interest.

Thanks for the feedback!

DanaDetailingPros
09-19-2022, 09:13 PM
I did read your post last night and is why I've decided to go with 3 orange 5' and 1 blue.
I have a $150 credit at TheCleanGarage and is where I filled in the blanks! I still have a 6 pack on here with a 25% off coupon. I thought it was just for the other day. So I grabbed a few items. And today I noticed there was a augpol25 coupon when I was putting a smaller order here. Almost forgot to mention I also picked up a Cancoat! Stuff sounds like it's the BIZ!

DanaDetailingPros
09-21-2022, 11:34 AM
I have no doubt I obviously blew it by mentioning the 25% coupon. I went to check and even had doubled up on certain pads only to see my total went up $60 dollars. Now I don't have that feeling of scoring:(
I sure screwed the pooch!

chilly
09-21-2022, 11:51 AM

I am wondering about the difference in longevity of the HDO vs SDO in a home use environment as well as the "feel" difference between the two

I am assuming the HDO is a bit stiffer than the SDO but feel free to school me if I am wrong

I had already decided that I wasn't buying any more Rupes foam pads before I sold off everything although I will probably get some Rupes yellow wool cause those rock

I am trying to simplify as much as possible

Thanks

dlc95
09-21-2022, 12:19 PM
I am wondering about the difference in longevity of the HDO vs SDO in a home use environment as well as the "feel" difference between the two

I am assuming the HDO is a bit stiffer than the SDO but feel free to school me if I am wrong

I had already decided that I wasn't buying any more Rupes foam pads before I sold off everything although I will probably get some Rupes yellow wool cause those rock

I am trying to simplify as much as possible

Thanks

For your use, the SDO should be fine.

It's difficult for me to tell a difference feel wise from the rupes/B&S Uro-Tec vs HDO.

I tried the Rupes foam pads. The white and yellow are nice, but their blue is too stiff and too porous. It allows for splatter and drying out of their compound. The blue HDO/SDO is way better for me.

chilly
09-21-2022, 12:36 PM
I am drawn to the non CCS line of SDO pads simply because they start at 1" and go through any size I would ever need

That is one thing that drew me towards the B&S Uro-Tec line as well

I realize size availability doesn't count for much if the pads suck but honestly, none of the brands we are discussing suck

They just have subtle differences that might or might not make them good for our individual uses

I guess I better resolve myself to the fact I am going to need to get a few of each and see what works best for me

Thanks as always for your input

dlc95
09-21-2022, 02:30 PM
I am drawn to the non CCS line of SDO pads simply because they start at 1" and go through any size I would ever need

That is one thing that drew me towards the B&S Uro-Tec line as well

I realize size availability doesn't count for much if the pads suck but honestly, none of the brands we are discussing suck

They just have subtle differences that might or might not make them good for our individual uses

I guess I better resolve myself to the fact I am going to need to get a few of each and see what works best for me

Thanks as always for your input

It's somewhat important for pad companies to offer pads for the "nano" style polishers.

The availability of those sizes in the Uro-Tec and SDO foams is an attractive buying point.

I even like Rupes foams, but that blue coarse pad is almost identical to the old UHS grey pads, which I didn't enjoy using! The blue HDO/SDO/Uro Dark Blue are way better for me.

chilly
09-21-2022, 02:47 PM
It's somewhat important for pad companies to offer pads for the "nano" style polishers.

The availability of those sizes in the Uro-Tec and SDO foams is an attractive buying point.

I even like Rupes foams, but that blue coarse pad is almost identical to the old UHS grey pads, which I didn't enjoy using! The blue HDO/SDO/Uro Dark Blue are way better for me.

Part of this is my own OCD but I think that’s a big part of why a lot people get into detailing

I like symmetry and simplicity if I can get away with it

Back when I first got started detailing and was figuring stuff out I was doing my own cars but I was doing cars for friends and family as well

I just asked for the cost of materials so I was able to try a lot of different pads and products under different circumstances and on different brands of cars

I still had pads 20 years later that simply didn’t work for me and just sat in a bin

I’m trying not to repeat that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlc95
09-21-2022, 06:54 PM
Part of this is my own OCD but I think that’s a big part of why a lot people get into detailing

I like symmetry and simplicity if I can get away with it

Back when I first got started detailing and was figuring stuff out I was doing my own cars but I was doing cars for friends and family as well

I just asked for the cost of materials so I was able to try a lot of different pads and products under different circumstances and on different brands of cars

I still had pads 20 years later that simply didn’t work for me and just sat in a bin

I’m trying not to repeat that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Symmetry and simplicity. I like that!

I got back in after my fiancé and I split up in late 2007. That summer after (2008) is when I started taking care of my neighbor's cars, until he moved in 2017.

In 2013 I got serious and the product boom happened a couple years after. I was trying all sorts of pads, but not so much polishes. I was pretty dialed in with Meguiar's and very happy with them.

I ended up selling off a LOT of superfluous products, and pads. In 2015 the Facebook Detailers Trading post was hot. I'd post something and within hours it would sell. When those died I started using ebay.

So I can relate.

The only criticism I have of the LC pads is that sometimes the hole is off center which makes the pad vibrate like crazy. That and my coworker has a technique that separates the velcro from the foam. The ones I've been using have been holding up great!

chilly
09-21-2022, 07:44 PM
The only criticism I have of the LC pads is that sometimes the hole is off center which makes the pad vibrate like crazy. That and my coworker has a technique that separates the velcro from the foam. The ones I've been using have been holding up great!

Wow, not liking that, but that could and probably does happen with any brand

I think because I started out with a PC 7424 (not an XP) I developed a very light touch with a polisher and pads

I never overwork them and generally get a long life out of them

Also as the years go by I have cut way back on how much work I do in a given period of time, usually a couple of panels a day or even less, so I don't need 10 of every pad (notice I said NEED, not WANT)... lol

I have months until I am ready to plop down $$$ on polishers, pads, and liquids so I will just keep reading and making notes of your guys experiences

I have to say I have taken notice that Scott (Sizzle) uses Griots BOSS CC and PC on a wide variety of paints/car brands, but then he could probably make a car shine with a rock

That is the kind of simplicity I am after, assuming it works for me of course

I know enough to know it is NEVER as simple as that, and there will always be the outlier that you struggle and fight with until you have that AH HA moment

I think that is why we wake up one day and realize we have 7 different compounds and 10 different polishes we don't use regularly and we can't remember when we bought them or what we bought them for

Maybe as I get older and more forgetful I need to keep a diary of cars and the stuff that worked, assuming I take on ANY extra work after getting my new garage up and running

Sorry, didn't mean to be so long winded

DanaDetailingPros
09-21-2022, 08:16 PM
Lake Country HDO CCS Pad Blue 5.5" | For 5" Backing Plate
2 x Lake Country HDO CCS Pad Blue 5.5" | For 5" Backing Plate
Lake Country HDO CCS Pad Orange 5.5" | For 5" Backing Plate
2 x Lake Country HDO CCS Pad Orange 5.5" | For 5" Backing Plate
5" Uro-Fiber Finisher Pad | Buff and Shine All Black Microfiber
1 x 5" Uro-Fiber Finisher Pad | Buff and Shine All Black Microfiber
Lake Country CCS Precision Rotary Pad Orange 6" | For 5" Backing Plate
1 x Lake Country CCS Precision Rotary Pad Orange 6" | For 5" Backing Plate
Rupes Rotary Polisher Side Handle | Bigfoot Anti-Vibration Handle
1 x Rupes Rotary Polisher Side Handle | Bigfoot Anti-Vibration Handle
3" Uro-Fiber Pads 2 Pack | Buff and Shine Black and White Microfiber
1 x 3" Uro-Fiber Pads 2 Pack | Buff and Shine Black and White Microfiber
5" Uro-Fiber Pad | Buff and Shine Black and White Microfiber
1 x 5" Uro-Fiber Pad | Buff and Shine Black and White Microfiber
Rupes Yellow Wool Pad Medium 3.5" | For 3" Backing Plate
1 x Rupes Yellow Wool Pad Medium 3.5" | For 3" Backing Plate
Rupes Yellow Wool Pad Medium 5.75" | For 5" Backing Plate
1 x Rupes Yellow Wool Pad Medium 5.75" | For 5" Backing Plate
Microfiber Suede Ceramic Coating Applicator | 4" x 2.5" x 1.25"
3 x Microfiber Suede Ceramic Coating Applicator | 4" x 2.5" x 1.25"
Thanks Big DIm the MAN

PaulMys
09-21-2022, 08:20 PM
Maybe as I get older and more forgetful I need to keep a diary of............ SQUIRREL!!!!!!

:laughing::laughing: