Griots G9/G15/G21 & G8/G13?

CC268

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a Griots GG6 with 5" backing plate that I got a ton of use out of over the years (just as a hobbyist). I ended up selling it about 2 years ago, but luckily I kept all my Griots Boss 5.5" pads (mostly orange pads and a handful of white pads).

I'm in the market to buy another polisher(s). I'm thinking a G9 or G15/G21 paired with a G8 would be a great setup for my hobby usage. I have an F-150 and my wife has a Ford Escape (soon to be Kia Telluride), so I do have a lot polishing area to cover. Not sure if the G15/G21 would be the better option over the G9 because of this.

I've wanted a Flex 3401 for years, but for my needs I think it is probably not the right tool for the job. Rupes would be the dream setup, but I could never justify the cost for using it a handful times a year.

Which of the Griot's polishers would you go with between the G9, G15, or G21?
Would you pair this up with a Griot's G8 or the new Griot's G13?
Is the 5.5" backing plate still the way to go?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well...maybe it is. I'm a hobbyist and thought maybe the Flex is just too much polisher. That said I'm certainly not new to polishing so it might be good next polisher. Only problem is...am I going to have to go with all new pads with the Flex?

Also for the price of the Flex I could get both a G9 and G8. That said, the extra horsepower of the Flex would be nice.

I don't know, I got my Flex in...2007? Long before the long-stroke polishers came out, and as a result I never got a long-stroke. You might have to get the smaller backing plate for the flex to use with your 5.5" pads, maybe not, I dunno, here's a thread about it: What backing plate and pads size for flex 3401

Nothing wrong with the Griots machines at all. And yes, the FLEX has all the power.

But ask yourself this: Are you needing to do deep correction to neglected paint, or just "a tune-up" to well cared-for paint before applying your LSP?

It sounds to me that you take very good care of your paint. If you are just a hobbyist and wanting to save a few bucks (like most of us) I would go with the Griots machines all day long in your case.

Nothing wrong with the Griots machines at all. And yes, the FLEX has all the power.

But ask yourself this: Are you needing to do deep correction to neglected paint, or just "a tune-up" to well cared-for paint before applying your LSP?

It sounds to me that you take very good care of your paint. If you are just a hobbyist and wanting to save a few bucks (like most of us) I would go with the Griots machines all day long in your case.

Thanks for the feedback. My vehicles are pretty well taken care of. That said, the Flex would be nice. I'd actually consider the Rupes 15 as well. I guess I'll have to do some more research and go from there.

Thanks for the feedback. My vehicles are pretty well taken care of. That said, the Flex would be nice. I'd actually consider the Rupes 15 as well. I guess I'll have to do some more research and go from there.

Be careful what you consider..

There are an army of people that experience stalling problems, breakdowns, and horrible customer service with Rupes.

Be warned….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful what you consider..

There are an army of people that experience stalling problems, breakdowns, and horrible customer service with Rupes.

Be warned….

Yea the more I've read about the Rupes the more I think I'd rather go with a Flex 3401 or go back to Griots.

Can the Flex 3401 be used effectively as a "one stop shop"? Meaning can it be used for finishing (just correcting minor defects)? Or is it really just used for heavy defects? I'm honestly leaning towards the Flex 3401. I've always wanted one and there were quite a few times with my GG6 where I wish I would have had some more oomph and forced rotation.

Yea the more I've read about the Rupes the more I think I'd rather go with a Flex 3401 or go back to Griots.

Can the Flex 3401 be used effectively as a "one stop shop"? Meaning can it be used for finishing (just correcting minor defects)? Or is it really just used for heavy defects? I'm honestly leaning towards the Flex 3401. I've always wanted one and there were quite a few times with my GG6 where I wish I would have had some more oomph and forced rotation.

Absolutely. The FLEX is the king of the hill.
You just have to be aware that it is gear-driven and not a random orbit.

Absolutely. The FLEX is the king of the hill.
You just have to be aware that it is gear-driven and not a random orbit.

Thanks...maybe I will go that route then.

What pads are recommended most? What size backing plate and pads?

Thanks...maybe I will go that route then.

What pads are recommended most? What size backing plate and pads?

I’m not a FLEX guy, so I will leave this question to the FLEX owners.

For light usage the Griots are fine. I’ve been using Griots G15 and an Adam’s SK mini for years and been great.

As I stated in your other thread if your adding a mini do a long throw (g15) to cover more ground.

Definitely g13 over g8. G8 stalled a lot for me..

between the G8 and G13 there are some differences...

G8 (8mm orbit) = includes 2" and 3" backing plates and you can purchase their
1" extension backing plate (pictured below) to use with 1" pads..

griots-garage-g8-1-in-extension-backing-plate__84659.1663861465.jpg

G13 (13mm orbit) = includes 2" and 3" backing plates but no 1" extension backing
plate available specifically for it at this time..

also, it's not recommended to use it with this polisher because of the
larger 13mm orbit - this polisher has more power than the G8 as well...

a good combo would be the G15 and G8 - from what i've read the G15/21 have a lot torque/power
and do not stall easily compared to other LT polishers out
if you're only doing your vehicles and a few here and there the G9 (replace the 6" backing plate with a 5") will do...

guarantee.jpg

WE GUARANTEE IT
Griot's Garage was built on high expectations, which is why everything we sell is covered by a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and Lifetime Guarantee against defect. We strive for perfection in everything we do so you always... Have fun in your garage!®

I too am a hobbist who occasionally does other family members or paying customers. I've found a G15 and a G8 to fit my needs quite nicely. The G8 is a little underpowered, but the G13 wasn't on the market when I bought the G8. However, I'm still happy with the work I can accouplish with the two tools.

Thanks guys. Ordered a Flex Supabeast. Will probably add the Flex PXE80 at some point too

Back