PDA

View Full Version : DI Water System - Talk me off the ledge!

Pages : [1] 2

grambow
03-14-2024, 11:21 AM
I passed up a ridiculously low priced CR Spotless system on Marketplace this week. I saw it for sale and knew others use them but I have never looked into DI so I missed it. Of course, now I am obsessed with getting a DI system. Other than CR Spotless which is out of my budget, does anyone have an economical alternative? I have seen others on YT using RV kits but they have mixed reviews on Amazon. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Bill D
03-14-2024, 11:25 AM
My CR Spotless sits and sits in the corner abandoned. I found it way too much hassle for the results. I have brand new unused resin for it. It was just a waste for me. Glad it was a gift.

grambow
03-14-2024, 11:49 AM
My CR Spotless sits and sits in the corner abandoned. I found it way too much hassle for the results. I have brand new unused resin for it. It was just a waste for me. Glad it was a gift.

This is kind of what I was hoping to hear. I looked into replacing the resin and it gave me enough pause to miss out. However, my driveway faces west so I am often battling water spots. The idea of just letting my cars drip dry is quite attractive!

Silly Rabbit
03-14-2024, 04:34 PM
Feedback on this and sister site is what helped me put the brakes on purchasing a system. Good thing too, cause I have a habit of spending then letting things sit. The buyers fever!

DanaDetailingPros
03-14-2024, 04:45 PM
It would only replace drying aids or LSP's in my eyes.

Bill D
03-14-2024, 04:52 PM
I honestly can say it's not worth it unless maybe only under real extreme conditions

Bruno Soares
03-14-2024, 06:10 PM
It’s nice to have but not a must. I like it for touch less washes where I foam the car with bilt hamber and rinse, without touching anything. Without CR I’d not risk it due to water spotting.

Replacing the resin every year kinda sucks but if you did the math to see how much regular washes at the tunnel inducing place you’d spend a decent amount anyway.

It can last more or less, depends on your water.

Bill D
03-14-2024, 06:55 PM
For me, I’d much rather spend money on a really good powerful blower. With that I could complete a touchless wash in no time.

BudgetPlan1
03-14-2024, 09:10 PM
It can last more or less, depends on your water.

That’s really the key as far as practicality goes. TDS at home is 122 so with little SunJoe pressure washer and very generous 10 minute trigger time per wash, I’m around 50+ washes for $139 resin cost.

Always thought it was silly back when our driveway was shaded 75% of the day but now that driveway is in full sun from 7am to sunset, might just be worth it.

Conveniences always have a cost I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Setec Astronomy
03-14-2024, 09:56 PM
The idea of just letting my cars drip dry is quite attractive!

Yeah, except it never works that way. There is always some dirt or soap that comes out of somewhere, preventing your rinse from being "spotless". As others have mentioned, I gave up fighting it, my solution was to have my soft water from inside the house plumbed to the outside faucet near my driveway.

Bobbykart
03-30-2024, 11:08 AM
I have had a CR spotless for 10 years. I have 2 black cars. I use it for the final rinse. Getting the resin is kind of a hassle. Luckily the company is 2 miles down the road from me in San Diego, across the street from my Home Depot. They have replaced my electrical monitoring device no charge. Is it worth the money? I’m not a pro, just a hobbyist, but I enjoy extra gadgets in the world

Bill D
03-30-2024, 11:14 AM
I have found the DI Spotless is either loved or hated by its owners. I looked at mine unused for years in my garage. The steel hose has corroded now. It's just taking up space. One of these days I'm probably going to trash it.

LSNAutoDetailing
03-30-2024, 12:02 PM
In Arizona, our water is less than desirable for almost anything. It's so mineral-rich, that faucets, valves, and even appliances have to be replaced every several years. I could do one of those full-house water softeners, but they're expensive, and secondly, I dislike the taste of salty water. I have an RO under the kitchen sink, and even then, I can't stand RO water.

The cars are a different story. I use PureTec industrial water system. I've enjoyed their services for years now. Sadly, due to inflation, and rising resin and fuel costs, the quarterly fee has gone up by about 200%. Even then, I decided to stay on as a customer, because I can wash a car, during daylight hours under the heat of Arizona sun. Using mother nature to my advantage, the Puretec is spotless, and the ceramic coating allows the leaf blower to dry the car, again with the aid of the sun.

Prange
04-02-2024, 07:43 AM
I've been using this for awhile now. I wouldn't be without it. It makes washing MUCH easier, not having to chase water spots. I can take my time drying.

Mixed Bed Double Standard Deionizer - On The Go - Portable Water DI (https://www.portablewaterdi.com/shop/deionizers/mixed-bed-double-standard-deionizer?SKU=OTG2-SDDI)

WhiteShadow89
04-05-2024, 09:40 AM
I have owned a CR spotless for 4 years now. I have a love hate relationship with it that has led to it collecting dust in my garage. I love that getting spot free results are easy but I hate the downsides. The downsides for me are:

1. It gives you the ability to get spot free results, but I have yet to have a no touch dry with my CR spotless go spot free regardless of how/where I clean it (outside vs garage). The reason why is that while the water on your car is 0ppm the environment is not. Dust, pollen, grime left behind/in the panels are all examples that create very minor water spotting all over your car. It is easily wiped away, but it is not a drip-dry spotless event.
2. Pending your water quality, your resin cartridges can be blasted through. Resin on the CR spotless is not cheap and adds up over time.

My CR spotless sits in my garage collecting dust with a fresh set of unused cartridges presently because I have splurged for a water softener for the house. After testing the CR vs Water softener, the results are the same to me because any spotting is easily wiped away. All while getting the benefits of a water softener throughout my house. More expensive upfront, but I can tell you I have spent far too much in resin while we were forcibly out in CA.