Please help me with paint correction

mr. roboto

Reaction score
Hi everybody. This is my first post on the forums, but I've been reading on and off, and have learned a good deal.

I have an issue with my 2001 Monte Carlo, being a 7 year old car, the black paint is starting to show it's age. This was a tough winter on it. I washed, clayed, and waxed the car about 2 weeks ago (by hand with pinnacle sig series II), and was not very pleased with the results, the car is covered in swirls and light scratches. I did my best to try and get some pictures, but they did not come out too good.

Hopefully you can get the idea from these pictures. The last shot is an oveview shot, the car is still in pretty good shape, these swirls are just bigging the heck out of me. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to fix this, i.e. buying a buffer, pads, whatever. I just don't know what to buy/how to use them.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer. I've seen you all work miracles on cars in worse shape than mine, so I have faith that I can get this car back to looking good.

I just started detailing as a hobby this spring. I was told to get the Porter Cable 7424. Its a dual action Orbital. It can make paint corrections with the right pad and polish/swirl remover. How ever its alot safer to use then a buffer. So it was right up my alley. Now because its a Dual action orbital u have to have some patients because it doesnt spin as fast. The pads that i purchased were the Lake Country CCS Smart pads. I have Orange, White, Gray and Blue. There most apprasive pad is Yellow 2nd is Orange,then white,green,gray, blue then red.As for correction polishes. Most people will tell u menzerna. The 2 main groups of products used are IP & FP(Intense Polish & Final Polish) and for harder clear coats SIP & 106F(Super Intesense Polish & nano Polish). Everyone will tell u the safest thing to do is go try least abbrasive first. I used Pinnacle Swirl Remover with a white Pad since it has little cutting ability and polishing. I didnt get the results i wanted so i stepped up to the orange and it did the trick for me. Since u allready clayed the vehicle id suggest a paint cleaner like either Klasse All In One or Pinnacle Paint work Cleansing Lotion. That will help remove ur wax. Then id go a head and use ur swirl remover.White lake country pad first. If it doesnt do the trick then Orange. Then when u apply ur polish just use the next pad down. use the white pad if u used orange previously(Or gray/black pad if u used white previously).Then you can apply ur Pinnacle Signature Series 2(SSII) by hand.
Pinnacle
Watching that video gave me a idea how to work the swirl remover & polish in and what to look for.Just my $0.02

Youve got some great products already, but skipped a significant step in prepping and that is called polishing the paint. As you gathered this step is keeping paint from looking its best, especially given the age and elements.

So we need some polishes, some pads, and a buffer. I will offer a couple links that should easily fit into the current products you have, and bring the Monte back to proper status.

Menzerna Meguiars G110 Ultimate Shine Kit with FREE BONUS!

Menzerna Porter Cable Ceramic Show Car Kit

Menzerna Porter Cable Intensive Shine Kit Free Bonus!

there are video's to help on the Porter Cable pages also an area called Detailing Hints on website look to left for listing.

Thank you both for the replies.

Looking at the kits you've recommended, one looks like it's for ceramic clear coats? I'm not exactly sure what type of clear coat my car has. Would I be better off sticking with the regular intensive shine kit?

Thanks again for all the help.

Would I be better off sticking with the regular intensive shine kit?

Thanks again for all the help.
Ya i think ull be fine with that.all u would need then is a good paint cleaner like Klasse All-In-One.oo ya dont forget to buy some snappy clean pad cleaner.I just pour it into a bucket of 3-4 gallons of water.and when im done with a pad i just drop it in the bucket with the velcro backing faceing up.and after 10 minutes or so i take a pad brush or tooth brush and rub it over the pad while still in the solution.once clean i rinse. then put it on the pc spin dry for about 25 seconds. then lay out in the sun to dry completely.
Like i said before start with a white pad for the IP and see if u like the results.if u want more correction moved to the orange pad.once ur finished with everything and put SSII on ull really like the results.good luck!
:buffing:

It is true that the one Menzerna kit is for ceramiclear polishes, but I can attest on multiple GM vehicles it works well and easier to use than regular polishes. I am not sure if its the clearcoat they use, or thickness but it can be a bear. Remember Menzerna polishes break down quickly, and 106FF specifically becomes one of the best finishing polishes made thus cutting out a step.

So do you think the regular Menzerna Intensive Polish might not cut it for what I need to fix? If it does, I would probably rather buy that kit since it's $50 dollars cheaper than the ceramic kit.

Well, I've done a bit more reading, and I think I will go with the Super Intensive kit, I don't want to get the regular intensive kit and have it not do good enough of a job. Do I run the risk of ruining my finish if my car's clear coat isn't thick enough to stand up to the super intensive compound?

Thanks!

Back