PDA

View Full Version : Compound/Polish advice, XMT, SSR, Optmium

Anto
06-06-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm unsure which compound is preferred, or which ones have advantages.

It's going to be used for general swirl & haze removal, to prep the surface for a LSP.

Price/Amount is a small factor, but won't completely bias my decision.

Competitors are:

XMT #3 and #1. 12oz bottles @ 16 a piece, making it $32 for 24oz of product
Poorboys SSR #2.5 and #1 (32oz) @ $22 apiece, $44 for 64oz
Optimum compound & polish, 17 apiece making it $34 for 64oz

I'm aiming for ease of use, something that would suit a beginner. I'm leaning toward the SSR, any insight?

novs25
06-06-2008, 07:53 AM
I am a noob and got a xmt PC kit and love it. They are easy to use and great for a beginner. I am sure other with disagree. I think xmt and the PC work great together. Great results.

pricha00
06-13-2008, 07:33 AM
If you are not using a rotary polisher I would advise to stay away from the Optimum line of polishes. They will not break down using a PC or UDM style polisher.I still have 95% of my Optimum compound and polish left and I doubt it will ever get used by me. I went with the XMT line that you mentioned at it works much better with the orbital machines. I am still learning but I learned my lesson on this issue real fast.

Pat.

ScottB
06-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I highly suggest considering the Wolfgang 3.0 twins, very nice and work well together. Made with Menzerna.

Anto
06-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the advice, I already bought some SSR 2.5, SSR #1 and some PwS. Gonna see how it works out. If anything, I'm going for Menzerna & that flex later on : )

budman3
06-14-2008, 09:33 AM
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the SSR and especially PwS. Take a look at my link and hopefully that'll let you use the polish to it's maximum potential. For the ease of use category, yet still impressive results, you can not go wrong with the SSRs.