How to remove clear coat on Headlights

PearlWhiteGT

Reaction score
I had a guy restore the headlights over a year ago on this car & he did a bad job. (I didn't know any better) He wet sanded them & sprayed clear coat over them. Now they are peeling so how can I get all the clear coat off. Will wet sanding them with 1500 remove it so that I can try & polish them out?

09-01-08060.jpg

That's a good place to start IMO. Next step I'd follow with 2000 grit and then a polish that will remove 2000 grit.

That's what I plan on doing. Wet sanding with 1500 & then 2000. Then SSR2.5, SSR1 & Pro Polish.

Good luck with that and let us know how it goes!

I've face the same problem as shown before.
I removed the whole headlights and wet sanded with 1500 grit sand paper.
Next, I go with it with Meguiars M86 with Yellow Wool.
Followed this with M86 and W8006 Yellow Foam.
This was then finish down with LC 4" Spot Buff Black with PO85RD.
Hope it helps.
:D

I've face the same problem as shown before.
I removed the whole headlights and wet sanded with 1500 grit sand paper.
Next, I go with it with Meguiars M86 with Yellow Wool.
Followed this with M86 and W8006 Yellow Foam.
This was then finish down with LC 4" Spot Buff Black with PO85RD.
Hope it helps.
:D
Thanks for the info!

A little update... I tried wet sanding them with 1000, 1500 & 2000 but could not get the old clear coat off. I did a quick polish with SSR2.5 & a oragnge pad. Finished with PB Final Polish & Plexus. They look a lot better then they did before but you can see the line from where the clear was peeling. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the rest of the clear coat off???

Pearl,

Try using 800 grit and if that does not work, 600 grit to eliminate the clear. Use an eraser similar to a pink pearl as a sanding block and try to work just where the clear is until it is gone. You can tell by watching closely. Once the clear is gone, finish the way you described before over that entire light. Go thru all of the grades (1000, 1500 and 2000) and then polish and you should be good to go.

Back