PDA

View Full Version : Weird pattern on roof

Quick5Oh
09-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey guys,

Well after washing my car today and pulling it into the garage I noticed some weird marks on the roof. The only way I can describe it is it looks like lizard skin, kind of like a dirt under the surface. I tried to use QD on it and that did nothing. I then tried to use claybar on it and I didn't see any change either. I remember seeing this stuff last weekend when I was polishing, but the polish removed it, or so I thought. Any idea what could cause this? Could dirt baking in the sun all day do anything like this? Like I said it looks like dirt under the clear coat but I know thats not possible, so any ideas? And you can only see it from certain angles in light.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6049/picture002gs7.th.jpg (http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture002gs7.jpg)

Thanks,
Evan

carguy
09-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Pictures would help to see what the problem is.

ScottB
09-11-2008, 10:03 PM
dirt can get imbedded or grounded into the finish, but should be removed by clay somewhat and polishing as a second resort. If it truly is below the clearcoat then you have a defect or paint issue and depending on the age of car/truck might wanna check with manufacturer.

Quick5Oh
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Pictures would help to see what the problem is.

I was trying to get a picture, but like I was saying, you have to be at a perfect angle to see it and I couldn't get the camera to show it..

dirt can get imbedded or grounded into the finish, but should be removed by clay somewhat and polishing as a second resort. If it truly is below the clearcoat then you have a defect or paint issue and depending on the age of car/truck might wanna check with manufacturer.

Yea, unfortunately the car was repainted a few years ago by the previous owner and I have no idea of what was done or where it was done.

Is there any reason why polishing it last weekend would make it dissapear until I washed it tonight?

ScottB
09-11-2008, 10:12 PM
wrong angle, wrong lighting, all the rest of the car gleemed so this area was harder to deduce. Light filling on the area. It could be anything, but you will likely find that the repaint was where it was introduced and likely a permanent marking if indeed below or in the clearcoat. Maybe a very light wet-sanding might help ??

Quick5Oh
09-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Edit- I tried to post the picture but can't seem to figure it out how to do it exactly. There is the thumbnail up there, please just click it.. Look around the edges of the light and you will see it.

Quick5Oh
09-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Well I hit it with menz. 85rd last night and it was gone. I did a wipe to see if left over polish was covering the marks and even after that I did not see it. So, I don't have a clue what it could be. It was exactly the same last wash and only on the roof as well. So we'll see how it goes next wash..