car is getting fresh paint one more question

turboman808

Jun 9, 2008
Hi guys I was just curious about your take on getting just a base coat or getting a base coat and a clear coat.

My gut it telling me to go with just a single stage paint. I was thinking of painting my car british racing green.

It just seems to me in the future if I need to repair the paint it would be easier without a clear coat.

Just looking to see what opinions are on this.

Also with the clear coat it always has the orange peel effect.

Thanks

oh here is the most recent picture from the builder.

9143.jpg

9142.jpg

Last edited:
Well I personally like working on single stage paints but no matter what route you go wet sanding will be required to remove orange peel after painting. Of course I did use a BC/CC system on both cars that I had repainted back in the day. :D

I'm asuming this will be a garage queen and not a daily driver?

I would go with a CC. I would think it would stay looking better longer with the proper washing techniques since you wouldn't have to worry about oxidation.

Go with the BC/CC setup, and have him put on some extra layers of clear so you can have him sand out the OP, and get a nice glass smooth paint surface.

clearcoat is basically unpigmented paint. So 5 coats of a single stage paint and 3 coats of colored and 2 coats of clear can likely equal the same outcome. (well provided the thickness of each coat, but lets not get into that)