The qualities of a good sealant

r0ckstrWS6

Reaction score
so with winter coming up, I've been trying to winterize my 04 jeep grand cherokee. I'll admit I've never used a sealant before (gasp) anyways. This winter I have decided to try a sealant, I chose pinnacles xmt 360. Now I know it's a fairly new product but I will be testing it's durability when winter comes.

I've been thinking about doing a test so to speak on my jeep, half of the jeep is sealed with the 360 and the rest is bare so I thought I'd apply wolfgang deep gloss 3.0 to the rest of my jeep and compare the two products over the course of winter. I'd take lots of pics of course and post em :D

on to my question, what makes a good sealant good? i.e. how can you tell it's providing protection for your paint?

Beading, slickness, and how hard it is to remove dirt from the paint are 3 main things I look at.

I would chose a different sealant to use for winter. Being that 360 is an all in one it doesn't excel in one category. A dedicated sealant like WG 3.0 and the like will win that battle.

I would chose a different sealant to use for winter. Being that 360 is an all in one it doesn't excel in one category. A dedicated sealant like WG 3.0 and the like will win that battle.

can I just go over the 360 with the WG 3.0 then or do I have to strip it? ( i'm a sealant noob)

can I just go over the 360 with the WG 3.0 then or do I have to strip it? ( i'm a sealant noob)
If 360 using any type of carnuaba in it those oils will prevent WG (and most sealants) from properly bonding/cross linking well. For the sake of winter and not wanting to be out there *I* would just strip it and start over. If you have some Opti-seal you could use that (x's 2) and be fine (with out striping 360).

alright looks like I'll be striping it and starting over tomorrow, hopefully I'll finish tomorrow too.

thanks everyone for the replies :)

for winter specifically .... ease of use, durability, and gloss factor. I dont want any sterile sealants !

Back