PDA

View Full Version : Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

Reddwarf
08-12-2006, 08:12 PM
I have some Meg's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner.

Not sure when it sould be used. Or even id I sould use it. The product description sounds like it should go on after clay and before polish. It says it removes slight swirls, so would this be used instead of say a PB SSR 2.5 or 1? Or before?

emaxxman
08-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Meguiar's states that it's a chemical cleaner with only a very minimal amount of abrasives. I doubt it actually gets rid of swirls. I used it the other day to get rid of some very light paint transfer from a hit and run. Even then, it took quite a bit of elbow grease.

There is no way it could be used instead of SSR. DC#1 is meant to be used after clay but before DC#2 which is a polish by Meg's standards...again, DC#2 has no real abrasives.

ScottB
08-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Pinnacles and P21S make better paint cleaners, and you really only use them when topping with a carnuaba and skipping the polishing step.

FloridaNative
08-13-2006, 01:30 AM
[quote=emaxxman]Meguiar's states that it's a chemical cleaner with only a very minimal amount of abrasives. I doubt it actually gets rid of swirls. I used it the other day to get rid of some very light paint transfer from a hit and run. Even then, it took quite a bit of elbow grease.

I hope it was not your car that was hit. :(

Reddwarf
08-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Pinnacles and P21S make better paint cleaners, and you really only use them when topping with a carnuaba and skipping the polishing step.

Thanks Killr, that makes sense. So, in other words, if I were going to wax the car but not polish it with the PC and x brand of polish, then applying the Deep Crystal Paint cleaner (I say Meg's becuase that is what I have on hand) before waxing is a good idea.

ScottB
08-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks Killr, that makes sense. So, in other words, if I were going to wax the car but not polish it with the PC and x brand of polish, then applying the Deep Crystal Paint cleaner (I say Meg's becuase that is what I have on hand) before waxing is a good idea.

yes because it will chemically remove and oxidation and old wax/sealant. It also likely has some light fillers to hide any flaws. You dont need to polish EVERY time you wax. In truth its probably better to use a paint cleaner once in a while and skip polishing until really needed.

Reddwarf
08-13-2006, 09:05 AM
But you can just top the wax with another coat without the cleaner, no?

ScottB
08-13-2006, 09:12 AM
But you can just top the wax with another coat without the cleaner, no?

correct, unless there is some appreciable dirt or grime. Then I would paint cleanse and rewax. Sealing dirt between layers of wax will likely make that car look less than pristine.

emaxxman
08-13-2006, 07:41 PM
[quote=emaxxman]Meguiar's states that it's a chemical cleaner with only a very minimal amount of abrasives. I doubt it actually gets rid of swirls. I used it the other day to get rid of some very light paint transfer from a hit and run. Even then, it took quite a bit of elbow grease.

I hope it was not your car that was hit. :(

Unfortunately, yes it was. It was my 2005 Odyssey...it was in pristine condition. I had it parallel parked in front of my in-laws house in Paterson, NJ. If you know Paterson, it's not the greatest town in the world. It's probably a couple drug dealers short of Newark, NJ (as close to hell on Earth as you can get if you ask me.):mad:

Someone in a black car swiped the passenger side of the rear bumper as they were pulling out. No dents but there are 3 clear, deep, distinct scratches straight down to the black primer on bumper. They are pretty wide gashes.

There was some nasty paint transfer on the rear quarter panel...looks like it was from a side mirror. No dents or scratches there. I was able to remove all the paint transfer using Meg's Paint Cleaner and a foam pad. I still need to use my PC and some polish to bring the clearcoat back to a nice shine...luckily there are no scratches or dents.

Sucks big time!!! This is on top of the windshield that I still need to get replaced on my Accord. I'm looking it at ~$800 in repairs between the two. Puts a real damper on any "fun" spending.:(

emaxxman
08-13-2006, 07:45 PM
correct, unless there is some appreciable dirt or grime. Then I would paint cleanse and rewax. Sealing dirt between layers of wax will likely make that car look less than pristine.

Also, some waxes such as Meguiar's NXT contain cleaners in them. With these, if you have a relatively clean car, the cleaners in the wax will remove any light oxidation and light dirt. It's also why these types of waxes have no real benefit when layering. The previous layer is usually removed to a slight degree by the second layer. The second layer is really more for coverage...however, that is less necessary if you apply with a PC (less chance of missing a spot.)

The other benefit of not polishing is to create layers. But like Killer stated, your paint should be fairly clean. I plan on layering Optimum Car Wax over my sealant. I apply them over the course of a few days if weather permits (or weeks if necessary.)

Reddwarf
08-13-2006, 08:04 PM
That is a bummer about your hit and run. I've been through Patterson before, not as bad as Bayonne :)

I spent over a year in Fairfield on a project and then more than a year on another one in Short Hills. Short Hills is a lot nicer than Fairfield!