Best way to treat/maintain Acura leather

flyfishindawg

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have a 05 Acura RL and am getting confused with the conflicting advice about the proper care for it's leather.

I had a 93 Legend years ago and remember the leather being more "traditional" in its finish and feel. Quite honestly, the leather in my RL seems a bit cheap and Pelosi-like compared to the leather in my 93 Legend.

Anyway, it is what it is. I guess my question is, am I throwing money away buying expensive cleaners/conditioners for what amounts to fancy vinyl?

Thanks,

FFD

Many people are unaware of the fact that since the late ‘80s early ‘90s, many of the newer domestic cars and some imports (US) do not use natural leather hides anymore. Approximately 90% of vehicle manufacturers have used (thermoplastic) polyurethane covered split hide leather for their interior upholstery. Vehicle leather upholstery is made from natural hides, chrome tanned and uniquely treated with a light pigmented water-based polyurethane coating or a vinyl covering to make it more viable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, which besides body oil / salt, is leathers worst enemy. While leather that is vinyl-coated is relatively easy to care for by virtue of its protective plastic surface, it is also inaccessible for purposes of maintenance. Meaning, of course, there is absolutely no point to using leather conditioners on plastic coated leather.

The majority of automotive upholstery is protected leather, these leathers have aspects of a natural finish, but more uniform in appearance, split leather (By-cast) will also stretch more than top grain leather and is therefore subject to show creasing. The heavier pigments can create much darker colours, protected leather has a substantial finish applied that makes them more resistant to heavy wear and stains. The heavier pigments and finish do affect the softness and scent, so these leathers often don't feel or smell like real leather. These leathers are more common in the automotive industry.

To determine if your leather is protected with a polyurethane covering; lightly scratch the surface to see if it leaves a lighter colour, or place a few drops of water on the upholstery surface; if it ‘beads’ it’s a pigmented polyurethane coated finish. Liquids will not penetrate protected leather. These leathers are more common in the automotive industry Using split leather produced from the lower cut or split of the hide is a relatively new development. It is normally produced in darker colours and when stretched, it lightens. It also scratches quite easily. This type of leather is now coming on to the furniture market, but has been used for automotive upholstery, handbags and belts for some time. As the top surface has high polyurethane finish, normal leather creams or oils provide absolutely no value (see conditioners).

For more information see “Basic Automotive Leather Care” one of a collection of detailing articles on DetailingWiki; (Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation) a series of informative, knowledge based, unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing

Last edited:
:goodpost: :iagree: Need to test my cars leather.
Also what would you use to clean coated leather? 303/1Z Einszett Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant?

I have coated leather in my Vette and still use Leatherique annually. It does appear to make a difference in texture and looks. Monthly I use a lower cost leather treatment like Einszett for some additional UV protection, smell, and leather feels a bit more slippery. I do go back and buff it off after initial application so it wont get on my clothes.

Something about this all makes me sad. I guess there just aren't enough people that give a s**t about properly taking care of their stuff; therefore, the manufacturers will make it idiot-proof to sell more cars. Apparently, these guys understood our country's general mood before the politicians did. I guess next will be a polish-free automobile that will allow us more time for productive pursuits like X-Box, Wii, etc.

Sorry for the bad attitude on this but sometimes I long for simpler times when craftsmanship mattered.

I recently picked up some Zaino Z9 and Z10 after hearing good things. I was very impressed and have been using them on both my '08 Acura TSX, and my girls '05 Acura RL. The Z9 cleans well and the Z10 does not leave a glossy look. It also smells like leather too.

I may have to try some Leatherique too as memebers seem to really like it. ;)

Rasky

Something about this all makes me sad. I guess there just aren't enough people that give a s**t about properly taking care of their stuff; therefore, the manufacturers will make it idiot-proof to sell more cars.

it likely has more to do with warranty claims and a way to control them until the bumper/bumper expires.

Well, fellow, I drive '05 RL myself, had it for 3 years and this is how I maintain it - I simply clean and condition leather regularly. How often is depends on how the car is abused. It used to be a daily driver for me, but now it sits in garage, and I only drive it on weekends. Even with that in mind I still condition leather 4-5 times a year with a good leather conditioner. The ones I found that work really well and keep this leather in like new condition are Pinnacle and Wolfgang leather conditioners. Keep in mind that leather is perforated, so you will be going through more leather condtioner then on a regular non-performated leather. Therefore I'd buy more then just a 16 oz bottle, probably something like 64 oz refill. I clean leather about 2 times a year with a good leather cleaner (I follow a 2 step cleaning and conditioning process), in this case again it is Pinnacle, or Wolfgang. Once leather conditioner is applied (I apply it with bare hands to reduce wastage, it won't hurt your hands), I leave it on for an hour, then come back and buff the remainings off, usually you won't have any of them, or very minimal.

Hope this helps. Nice to see another RL owner, I really like this car.

Keep in mind that leather is perforated, so you will be going through more leather condtioner then on a regular non-performated leather..

How does perforated leather affect how much you use? I use Four Star Cleaner and Condiitoner on my top coated leather seats. With both products, I apply to a clean terry cloth applicator. I do not really see any "soaking" action (not expecting much either). I am just cleaning and putting down a protector layer. If oyu apply too much it does get into the holes, so that is one reason I just dampen the pad and wipe on then buff off. I minimize filling any holes.

i noticed lexol conditioner leaves the leather tacky and oily.am i doing something wrong or is that how its supposed 2 be??

I think if you wipe the residue with a damp cloth it should be a little better, but you are right i got the same sticky residue after wiping the excess (1 pass). Going to try other cleaners/conditioners when i figure out what to get (already have Leatherique but not using it as a weekly/monthly cleaner).

Hey folks,
I had a 93 Legend years ago and remember the leather being more "traditional" in its finish and feel. Quite honestly, the leather in my RL seems a bit cheap and Pelosi-like compared to the leather in my 93 Legend.
Acura is known for having among the cheapest leather around, even BMWs pleather fee's more real. I don't know what they did as like you said the old Legends had great leather, their newer cars have so many complaints on cracked leather, wearing, tearing etc. My sister had a TL-S in 2 years the leather even conditioned etc looked like it had 100K hard miles on it even though it was only about 20K.

How does perforated leather affect how much you use? I use Four Star Cleaner and Condiitoner on my top coated leather seats. With both products, I apply to a clean terry cloth applicator. I do not really see any "soaking" action (not expecting much either). I am just cleaning and putting down a protector layer. If oyu apply too much it does get into the holes, so that is one reason I just dampen the pad and wipe on then buff off. I minimize filling any holes.
Some goes to/through the perforation...If you have different cars with different leather interiors you will know what I'm talking about.
My RL is perforated, I30 is slightly perforated (perforation is smaller), and BMW is non-perforated.

Acura is known for having among the cheapest leather around, even BMWs pleather fee's more real. I don't know what they did as like you said the old Legends had great leather, their newer cars have so many complaints on cracked leather, wearing, tearing etc. My sister had a TL-S in 2 years the leather even conditioned etc looked like it had 100K hard miles on it even though it was only about 20K.
that's bs, Surfer. I had a 2000 TL, bought it used with 39K miles, leather was in great condition, sold it with 87k miles.
Wife's 97 TL leather was in a little worse shape, well it had 127k miles when we sold it, it wasn't maintained well. Now sure what kind of leather is in a Legend Now this RL that I bought (2005 in 2005 with 17k miles) was in just like new condition (I was gonna get it brand new, but then this was a better deal with a 40k price tag, while '05 were 46k, and '06s were 50k). Now I have almost 50k and leather is in excellent condition!!! It's just like the day I bought it, it just doesn't smell new. If you use cheap junk like armorall or turtle wax, then you would mess it up and that's for sure... I maintain mine with Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and 4* and am safisfied... Now leather in BMW is extremely hard, and I don't like that.
Gotta check if they upgraded it on newer X5, which I strongly consider to buy soon...

by the way, does your Mountaneer has leather? If yes, I wanna see some leather interior shots...

that's bs, Surfer. I had a 2000 TL, bought it used with 39K miles, leather was in great condition, sold it with 87k miles.
Wife's 97 TL leather was in a little worse shape, well it had 127k miles when we sold it, it wasn't maintained well. Now sure what kind of leather is in a Legend Now this RL that I bought (2005 in 2005 with 17k miles) was in just like new condition (I was gonna get it brand new, but then this was a better deal with a 40k price tag, while '05 were 46k, and '06s were 50k). Now I have almost 50k and leather is in excellent condition!!! It's just like the day I bought it, it just doesn't smell new. If you use cheap junk like armorall or turtle wax, then you would mess it up and that's for sure... I maintain mine with Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and 4* and am safisfied... Now leather in BMW is extremely hard, and I don't like that.
Gotta check if they upgraded it on newer X5, which I strongly consider to buy soon...

by the way, does your Mountaneer has leather? If yes, I wanna see some leather interior shots...
I just remembered what happened to ours, and then a few years back big commotion of complaints regarding their leather, around the time of the previous gen TL. I know there were a lot of complaints online and on their forums. Her's looked horrible, and one of her friends had a reg TL and same thing. Can't remember what year she had, 01' or 02' I think. Yeh the truck has leather, I'll get some pics later, looks damn good for 110K+ miles lol, had a friend who was down I hadn't seen in awhile and couldn't believe thats how many miles are on it. Can't seem to get rid of the damn thing, almost traded it on a new Denali. But I just love how it doesn't stick out, just a reg truck, I don't have to worry about it getting keyed or anything. With that whole gas price thing, had so many friends with high end trucks get keyed over and over. We came out of the mall one day and a buddies Range Rover was keyed on ever side including the hood.

I don't know if BMW changed on their new stuff but they had different options for leather that felt soft to hard, and a synthetic type, pleather or whatever it was called, that wasn't real leather but looked and felt like it.

Last edited:

+1. I have 05 RL to and leather is in brand new condition.BTW I am using Pinnacle. Supercharged, my friend have new X5 for few months now and noting but problems.

Last edited:
+1. I have 05 RL to and leather is in brand new condition.BTW I am using Pinnacle. Supercharged, my friend have new X5 for few months now and noting but problems.
You don't wanna know how many time I've taken my RL to the dealer for warranty repairs...more then all the cars in the family all together...Sometimes you just get that unlucky one...
BMW been to the dealer for repairs 2 or 3 times (had that '04 since 05), only once on Infiniti (in 5 years of it being in the family), while Acura been to the dealer around 10 times for different repairs... Their whole stuff (Niello Acura on Madison and I-80) already knows me...:D...
But again, I still love Japanese cars...

I have a 1998 Acura CL3.0, leather in it is immaculate. Granted, i have no kids yet so the back seat looks like it was just installed at the factory. I use Pinnacle leather cleaner and conditioner spray every 3 months on my seats. I 'm hoping to get Prima Nourish, it's on my wishlist, i'll use it after i'm out of the Pinnacle.:D

Something about this all makes me sad. I guess there just aren't enough people that give a s**t about properly taking care of their stuff; therefore, the manufacturers will make it idiot-proof to sell more cars. Apparently, these guys understood our country's general mood before the politicians did. I guess next will be a polish-free automobile that will allow us more time for productive pursuits like X-Box, Wii, etc.

Sorry for the bad attitude on this but sometimes I long for simpler times when craftsmanship mattered.

Doesn't Infiniti have a "self-healing" paint on their new cars? Pull out Rock Band, i'm coming over!! :)Im the MAN

I use PB Natural Look for my 2006 RSX Type S. Looks good after 33K miles and 2 years.

Back