Got a tricky one! HELLPPP!

Presidential_Detail

Reaction score
Ok, I am working on a BLACK Honda S2000. It was in rough shape when I got it, hit it with SIP/White and SIP/Orange on the hood/trunk. Car looks great, of course minus some hologramming. So I get all the way through my detail, mind you I cautiously looked at it with halogens with every panel..anyways It starts getting dark and Im almost through only to realize there are holograms still on every panel!!!

Now I have tried everything in my book and still cant seem to get the holograms out of the car! This is like the 5th or 6th black s2k I have done and havent had this problem AFTER using po85rd with black AND blue pads, nothing is working!

The process used is

SIP/White/Orange
106fa/White
po85rd/Black/Blue
STILL HOLOGRAMS!! AHH!

The wierd part about this is that these holograms were not visible until hours later, now the weather has been a bit finicky throughout the whole detail, could this be a problem? Its about 86% humidity here(in FL) and chilly outside. None of my polishes have been breaking down like normal and have been a REAL pain to wipe off no matter if I work them long or short. When I first started I was having the problem with the SIP drying up and "rolling up" and flinging off...can anyone fill me in on what I should do next?

Some images for you guys..

Before I touched the car..
test3.jpg

After SIP/106fa/po85rd(thing going down hood is a plane, not hologram)
test.jpg

test1.jpg

test4.jpg

Now there are holograms all of a sudden! This is every panel.
test5.jpg

Can SIP create holograms or do u think that was there from a previous detail?I never noticed holograms when using WG TSR 3.0 with my pc.

Well there was holograms already in it, but anything more aggressive than a finishing polish/pad will put holograms in soft Honda paint using a rotary anyways! Unfortunately I do not have any other brand polish or a PC to finish with! Normally I can finish down perfectly with my rotary but I think the weather has really messed with my polishes this time.

Time to pick up some 3m Uk polishes!

If it's cold try putting the bottle of polish in some warm water for a while.. but I doubt that's got anything to do with your holograms.

Paint prep will play a big part in the polishing process, did you prep it properly?

I'm guessing your using a Rotary, what pads are you using? How are you working in the 106 and the 85?

If it's cold try putting the bottle of polish in some warm water for a while.. but I doubt that's got anything to do with your holograms.

Paint prep will play a big part in the polishing process, did you prep it properly?

I'm guessing your using a Rotary, what pads are you using? How are you working in the 106 and the 85?

The car has been prepped properly, like I said Ive never had this problem before. I am using a rotary. I am using LC FLAT 5.5" pads, Orange/white/black/blue CCS.

My process..
2-4 pea sized dots on pad.
Put pad on surface and spread at 1k rpms.
Then bump to 1500-1200-1000 for a few passes each.

I have tried other methods also, just to give it shot. I tried doing 1000-1200-1000 and still no luck..

Last edited:
If you have a dual action you might try using it as it shouldnt leave and holograms and will be plenty powerful to remove them.

Weird man. I have the NHBP paint, and it's super soft, and PO85RD took care of the holograms just fine with only a blue pad. I did my WF TSR with a black pad actually, so possible you maybe went too aggressive? I don't know...

sometimes they show up after the oils dry up. From what i understand the us and uk version are the same.

Weird man. I have the NHBP paint, and it's super soft, and PO85RD took care of the holograms just fine with only a blue pad. I did my WF TSR with a black pad actually, so possible you maybe went too aggressive? I don't know...

I dont think SIP/white is too aggressive. It is weird though, because I have done a ton of hondas already and about 5 or 6 black s2000's to be exact! haha! Never had this problem on any of the others..my guess is the weather is doing it.

Could be. Also could be a repaint. My car was repainted in a few spots, thanks to a idiot truck driver, and the clear in those areas is softer than the normal super soft clear of a Honda. So it took some kid gloves, and I only worked the polish at 1200 rpm. Seemed to do the truck. Good luck to you!

Sometimes polishing oils look like holograms on my stuff. I usually just hit it with an AIO like Poliseal or do a IPA. If they are in fact holograms that someone else induced, you may have to take more clear off. I had to do that on a Volvo recently. looked like the dealer detailer used wool and no polish at all.

I think it may have been a paint issue, I am polishing an RX-8 today with the same polish and pad and having no issues whatsoever(so far :cross fingers: ) Either way, I have UK UF and UK 3m pads on the way! ;)

Back