Wet Tire Dressing

sparkie

Reaction score
I need a tire dressing with a very wet shine for my customers, and also that last in the rain and non-greasy. I like the matt look, but they like the wet high gloss look. I also like it not attract dust or sling all over the paint. Suggestions

I like PB BnB water based so easy application, good durability, quite glossy, not a real high shine though

The Meguiar's Insane Shine is the shiniest one that I have used so far. I bought it on a whim one day to try it out and it is very very shiny. The name really fits the product. lol

I have Megs Insane Shine and its very bling blingy, if your into that, like literally there are reflections on the tire lol. But I'm not going to buy it again, aersol can causes it to spray everywhere even when aimed at the tire, and the little spray floating in the air gets on your paint and other places. It can be a pain to remove, and smears like crazy if it gets on my chrome wheels (even though I custom made a shield to keep them wheels clean when spraying). Plus it doesn't really dry, you can touch it days later and it leaves a residue on your fingers, which makes dirt and other stuff stick to it like glue.

Peronally I think I'm going to stick to the new Armor All Tire Gel that's OTC, cheap, deep wet look and good durability, but more importantly easy to apply and not messy like other gels. Otherwise I'd get Poorboys B&B, or maybe the Wolfgang or Pinnacle Tire Gels.

I really like the DP tire gel. However, I learned about the sling problem you mentioned! My 13 year old did the tires for me recently and he applied way too much. I have to rewash the car now! That hasn't happened to me before so I assume it was due to applying too much product.

I love you BnB. The more layers you add the shinier it gets. I like the high gloss look against the black finish. But I currently use Meg's Insane shine because of its high gloss and it stands up to the rain longer. The Aerosol is a pain but I find it makes things easier if you apply right after you're done washing.

when im doing customer cars i use turtle wax wet and black

its is realy shiny and seams to hold up in the weather

on my car i use poorboys bnb and i love it

2 layers and im good to go for 2 weeks

-z

Meg's endurance glossy version. You can find it at autozone and you can layer it for more gloss. Also it lasts a good while, couple weeks, a lot better than Meg's insane shine (2-3 days). I haven't had problems with dust or anything, but I use the matte version.

DP's Gloss Gel is a super value and a great glossy product. Drying tires properly and getting the water out of the tread/design/letters is the key. I rather like the Poorboys Bright and Bold also.

killrwheels@autogeek said:
DP's Gloss Gel is a super value and a great glossy product. Drying tires properly and getting the water out of the tread/design/letters is the key. I rather like the Poorboys Bright and Bold also.

Perhaps that was my problem. I love the way the DP Gel goes on the tire. I let it sit for 30 minutes before driving, but should I do something else to make sure they are dry?

Reddwarf said:
Perhaps that was my problem. I love the way the DP Gel goes on the tire. I let it sit for 30 minutes before driving, but should I do something else to make sure they are dry?

Using a leaf blower is the easiest ... compressed air is another. You cannot believe how much water the ribbing holds. I also find that using a terry cloth round wax applicator works well and keeps from overloading the tires which can then cause spitting as the product cannot dry properly.

what about those foam blocks you can buy. anyone have luck with those?

This is what I use!
200graysponge.jpg

Has anyone ever use Bleche White? It's only $2.50 at Wal*Mart and it strips EVERYTHING off your tires for that brand-new, from the factory look. Pretty cool stuff.

Just make sure to NOT get it on your wheels, it will leave spots. You have to be really careful.

466938_front200.jpg

Surfer said:
I have Megs Insane Shine and its very bling blingy, if your into that, like literally there are reflections on the tire lol. But I'm not going to buy it again, aersol can causes it to spray everywhere even when aimed at the tire, and the little spray floating in the air gets on your paint and other places. It can be a pain to remove, and smears like crazy if it gets on my chrome wheels (even though I custom made a shield to keep them wheels clean when spraying). Plus it doesn't really dry, you can touch it days later and it leaves a residue on your fingers, which makes dirt and other stuff stick to it like glue.

Peronally I think I'm going to stick to the new Armor All Tire Gel that's OTC, cheap, deep wet look and good durability, but more importantly easy to apply and not messy like other gels. Otherwise I'd get Poorboys B&B, or maybe the Wolfgang or Pinnacle Tire Gels.

Is that stuff really worth it, I've always questioned amor all products mainly after all the rumors about it cracking dashes and stuff, I know this is for tires, but still. I just feel bad using something that I can't get from ag and of such low quality.

Excessive Detail said:
Is that stuff really worth it, I've always questioned amor all products mainly after all the rumors about it cracking dashes and stuff, I know this is for tires, but still. I just feel bad using something that I can't get from ag and of such low quality.
Their OTC tire gel is pretty good. Their old products were crap, and harsh.

If your gonna get from AG I'd stick with Poorboys Bold and Bright (or WG, Pinnacle Gels). Actually if you search on here I had a tire gel poll thread somewhere, I ended up finding Megs High Endurance Gloss to be too messy.

P1et said:
Has anyone ever use Bleche White? It's only $2.50 at Wal*Mart and it strips EVERYTHING off your tires for that brand-new, from the factory look. Pretty cool stuff.

Just make sure to NOT get it on your wheels, it will leave spots. You have to be really careful.

466938_front200.jpg
I use it, buy it by the gallon! OTC

Excessive Detail said:

I have a 1998 Accord and had a 1994 Civic (sold earlier this year.) Both, until I found this site earlier this year, had been dressed with Armor All (original formula) the whole time. I used that stuff on everything but the leather and cloth upholstery. Used it on the tires and bras/nose covers too. I never once had any cracking or premature aging. Both cars still look new wherever the Armor All was used.

The new Armor All formula is supposed to be all water-based...not sure about the tire gels though.

I do hear ya on the reluctance. If I buy OTC, I stick with Meguiar's. But I have to say, I'm using less and less OTC products. The stuff I have, I plan on just finishing. I'm using Meg's detailer line as well as some of the higher end stuff like DP, Poorboys, etc.

P1et said:

Hmmm...considering it's really tough to not get overspray on your wheels when you spray your tires AND that it'll be flowing over the wheels when you rinse it off, I'm really reluctant to use it with that kind of drawback. I'm glad you mentioned it though. I was all set to try it.

Back