PDA

View Full Version : optimum fans- opti-seal vs. spray wax

builthatch
12-27-2008, 12:04 AM
i've had both for a few months now. i use the sealant religiously and on all colors. i love it, and everyone who gets the treatment loves it as well.

the spray wax...to me, seems like their sealant technology combined with other goodies...i've used it once, and it worked well, but requires more work and isn't as efficient re: uses per dollar.

there is the age old 'warmth' deal with carnauba...and the 'cold shine' of sealant. optimum claims carnauba content, so is that why people would use this vs. the sealant?

both claim similar durability in terms of months.

why use it vs. the sealant? the sealant is an incredible value, and SO easy to use...and lasts a while!

Chris Thomas
12-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I use both, the OS every 3 months and the OCW every month. I think they compliment each other. I only find either hard to apply when you use too much. Oh, and if you are applying OCW to a warm panel, put it on the towel instead of spraying it directly on the surface or it will flash too fast and leave streaks.

mazdaspeed
12-27-2008, 12:22 AM
something useful to read, thanks guys...im trying to decide on a qd for my black mazda6...any advice would be great, anything but meg though!!!

Chris Thomas
12-27-2008, 12:29 AM
something useful to read, thanks guys...im trying to decide on a qd for my black mazda6...any advice would be great, anything but meg though!!!

You know, I was just thinking of it. I bought Optimum's Instant detailer and use it frequently, but the wax is just as easy to do and adds more protection. Both are very cost effective, so IDK if I will do OCW as a wax as u dry product and just use the OID for touch ups, bird bombs and such.

builthatch
12-27-2008, 12:30 AM

for a straight qd? i think the value of the mid size concentrate of the optimum qd can't be beat! it will last you a long time due to the dilution/mixing, esp if you are not detailing professionally.

ID, well, what i mean by harder is that the spray wax needs to be buffed off, albeit without that much vigor if used properly, whereas the OS can be used with little to no buffing whatsoever.

also i like the fact that you can spray the OS on a middle area of a panel and then use the pad to spread it and precision apply to every last inch of paint, and moldings, etc, but also so it doesn't get on windows, etc. do you do that with the OSW too?

Chris Thomas
12-27-2008, 12:37 AM
ID, well, what i mean by harder is that the spray wax needs to be buffed off, albeit without that much vigor if used properly, whereas the OS can be used with little to no buffing whatsoever.

also i like the fact that you can spray the OS on a middle area of a panel and then use the pad to spread it and precision apply to every last inch of paint, and moldings, etc, but also so it doesn't get on windows, etc. do you do that with the OSW too?

I put it on the windows, trim, and everything, just like the OS. It leaves no residue. The difference may be that I do OCW after blow drying, but with the car a little damp. I don't use the pump sprayer, but shoot it through a HVLP sprayer. With that i lay down a very even coat with about a 6-8 inch fan. Just one rub on the panel, flip the MF and one buff. Works every time.

ScottB
12-27-2008, 09:18 AM
I find sealants in general are quite reflective and use gloss to mimic wetness. For some reason carnaubas seem to show wetness (likely the oils) and depth or 3 Dimensional look better. It really comes down to end user as no wrong answer its personal perception.

Smokin
12-27-2008, 03:01 PM
:iagree::whs:

Bradshaw
12-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Im a big fan of Opti-seal, love it on white paint, it actually looks better than Z2 Pro on white, atleast to my eye.

img
12-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Like both the Pinnacle Sray Wax and Crystal MIst (add polycharger)
sprayed finely with a refillable sprayer.