PDA

View Full Version : stepping up to rotary

builthatch
01-09-2009, 07:21 PM
i've had my PC for about a year, and i've been doing on average a car a week. i'm ready to get a rotary.

that said, i have a bunch of 5.5" pads...and of course 3.5 and 4" pads.

from what i can see, i can use a 2.75 velcro plate for the small pads, and i assume a 3.75 plate for the 5.5 pads...

is this correct?

i've always had an aversion to pads bigger than 5.5. i know that the smaller the pad, the higher the risk for too much heat, but i love the control of 5.5. am i alone in this belief?

also-

if it takes me 4-5 hours with a PC to get the finish ready for an LSP on the average vehicle i see, how long should it take me then if i'm using a rotary?

AeroCleanse
01-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Most wool pads are 7" (might be 8"). I use 6" foam pads with my Makitia.

4-5 from zero to done or from the paint prepped to done with the paint correction? Last time I did a time check, it took me 4hrs from customer dropping off a Jetta to done with a rotary, that included breaks and pad cleaning.

It will take you longer as your new to it, but you'll speed up as you get the hang of it.

Of course it all depends on the condition of the paint to start with.

D
01-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I prefer the smaller pads myself, <6.5". I can easily spend 30 hours perfecting a cars paint. Its all about quality, not quantity. Than again, I dont do high volume detailing.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-09-2009, 09:57 PM
The 5.5 pads work great on the rotary. I can't say that it has only taken me only 4-5 hours on a detail, usually alot longer. I just don't see how any quality can be achieved in a 4-5 hour detail, just my opinion.

builthatch
01-09-2009, 11:57 PM
The 5.5 pads work great on the rotary. I can't say that it has only taken me only 4-5 hours on a detail, usually alot longer. I just don't see how any quality can be achieved in a 4-5 hour detail, just my opinion.

i think that alot of it has to do with the cars so far. they've all been new or very close to new, except for the ferrari, but that from start to finish took 14 hours, all inclusive.

i'm sure as things progress i'll get tied up with some cars that require a lot more time, finish-wise. that's one of the reasons i need the most efficient and powerful tool for the job.

i also have to be realistic...even people with highline cars, atleast around here, wouldn't want to spend upwards of a grand for a full detail. so i have to maximize my time spent.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-10-2009, 12:08 AM
I understand what you are saying but to me it should take alittle longer, but once again that is just me.

builthatch
01-10-2009, 12:31 AM
4-5 from zero to done or from the paint prepped to done with the paint correction?

4-5 after the car has been dawn'ed, dried and scrutinized. doesn't include claying either if it's in there...

D
01-10-2009, 01:05 AM
i think that alot of it has to do with the cars so far. they've all been new or very close to new, except for the ferrari, but that from start to finish took 14 hours, all inclusive.

i'm sure as things progress i'll get tied up with some cars that require a lot more time, finish-wise. that's one of the reasons i need the most efficient and powerful tool for the job.

i also have to be realistic...even people with highline cars, atleast around here, wouldn't want to spend upwards of a grand for a full detail. so i have to maximize my time spent.

For me, just the jeweling process can take 4 hours. Im working on a new car this weekend. Only has 5k miles. Itll probably take me about 20 hours for a 2- 3 step process. Thats start to finish.

builthatch
01-10-2009, 01:24 AM
For me, just the jeweling process can take 4 hours. Im working on a new car this weekend. Only has 5k miles. Itll probably take me about 20 hours for a 2- 3 step process. Thats start to finish.

the people i detail for would never pay for that, even with exotics. maybe this summer, possibly, when the rich come down from PA, but, between doing the engine bay, cleaning the wheels properly, including inner wheels and wells (which could mean removal), doing the interiors completely...they just would never pay for that type of detail. 20 hours for the exterior, on top of the other stuff...you should feel fortunate that there are people who'd drop a grand or more for that type of thing because they aren't around here.

which makes things interesting for me because i don't take jobs for people who don't care about their car atleast remotely close to how i think of my own. with that, you'd think i could talk some of these people into it but i can't. my car looks spectacular, and i'm building a bit of a reputation, but man...a G? nah, noone will do that hehe.

off topic a bit, but let me ask you this- i'm very artistic, i like to think of myself as having great ability with my hands, i build models, etc. i'm very careful with everything i do, but i have this fear about a rotary for some reason. is it warranted?

D
01-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Ive never been paid a grand for a detail. Im also not trying to say you should undercharge or anything like that. People just dont have a realistic idea of how long proper polishing takes. And unless you do it, or have seen it done, you probably wont appreciate it. For example, when I first joined this board people were bragging about how they could polish out a car in a matter of hours and the paint looks good. Lets be honest here, thats not realistic at all. But when I was new to this I didnt know any better. And little did I know, these people were taking short cuts and what not. It actually hurts the industry if you think about it.

As for being afraid of the rotary. Thats not a bad thing, itll make you be more cautious. Its almost when you get TOO comfortable with the rotary is when you make mistakes. But it takes some time to learn and its a completely different thing than using a PC. I cannot stand using the PC now. You cant pay me to use it. The finish between the two is night and day difference also. Anyone who wants to correct paint should learn how to use one ASAP.

builthatch
01-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Ive never been paid a grand for a detail. Im also not trying to say you should undercharge or anything like that. People just dont have a realistic idea of how long proper polishing takes. And unless you do it, or have seen it done, you probably wont appreciate it. For example, when I first joined this board people were bragging about how they could polish out a car in a matter of hours and the paint looks good. Lets be honest here, thats not realistic at all. But when I was new to this I didnt know any better. And little did I know, these people were taking short cuts and what not. It actually hurts the industry if you think about it.

As for being afraid of the rotary. Thats not a bad thing, itll make you be more cautious. Its almost when you get TOO comfortable with the rotary is when you make mistakes. But it takes some time to learn and its a completely different thing than using a PC. I cannot stand using the PC now. You cant pay me to use it. The finish between the two is night and day difference also. Anyone who wants to correct paint should learn how to use one ASAP.

hey thanks for the replies. makes total sense. i feel like it's about time.

Bradshaw
01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
I just converted to the 9227 rotary. I often wonder how I managed with the PC for so long. We had a detailing get together in my area. I stated I would like to learn basic concepts of the rotary. One of the most respected detailers in the area pulled his VW intO the shop, grabbed the makita, put a foam wool pad on it and handed to me "Go ahead and start on my trunk, let me know if you have any questions." GULP...Off I went and haven't been afraid of the rotary ever since that day.

builthatch
01-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I just converted to the 9227 rotary. I often wonder how I managed with the PC for so long. We had a detailing get together in my area. I stated I would like to learn basic concepts of the rotary. One of the most respected detailers in the area pulled his VW intO the shop, grabbed the makita, put a foam wool pad on it and handed to me "Go ahead and start on my trunk, let me know if you have any questions." GULP...Off I went and haven't been afraid of the rotary ever since that day.

haha...

trial by fire, eh?

i have no idea why i've always had such a fear about it...especially considering how careful i am. i watched a few videos of people deliberately burning paint for demo purposes (thank god for the interw3bZ) and from what i've seen, you'd really have to be careless to hurt anything, esp on flat areas away from edges, etc.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Thats how I learned at age 14. There was an old man that detailed for the shop I worked at and asked him about doing detailing. I went by his shop he handed me the buffer and the way I went. I got hired on the spot which felt great.