help with using a new a buffer on a black altima

jamores23

Reaction score
I just got a dewalt high speed buffer with 3 pads one is black one is white and the other is a wool pad. Now, I have a friend that has a black altima that is a total mess with fine scratches on the clear coat that looks like a spider did some webbing to his car. Can anyone tell me what I would need, why, and the process step by step please! How much would you guys charge for scratch removal or swirl mark removal on a black altima that has it all over the car. Please help me i am new to this

My best advice is do some reading.

Those pads that probably came with the machine are probably not proper, and i would invest in some DD Pads or some LCC Pads from here. Get a few different polishes from course to fine, or maybe even a product like Menzerna Power Finish, which is a one step product

It wont remove all the imperfections, but a good amount

IF this is ur first correction with a rotary, i would not suggest starting a black car that the customer appreciates...you'll need some practice first, and a array of products to achieve results

why stay away from the wool pad? I know it has to been extremely clean. I dont know what polishes to get. How do i determine what polish to use? does a polish remove swirl marks and fine scratches?

First off, you're getting WAY ahead of yourself. You need several hours of practice before even thinking of polishing your buddies car, especially if he cares about it. Its extremely easy to cause permanent damage with a rotary.

Second, this is an extremely loaded question. You can't expect people to give you all the answers. You gotta at least do some research, than ask questions about what you don't understand. You'll get a lot more responses that way.

why stay away from the wool pad? I know it has to been extremely clean. I dont know what polishes to get. How do i determine what polish to use? does a polish remove swirl marks and fine scratches?
Wool is for the heaviest cut. Use it wrong and you'll go straight through the paint.
Use it right, and you are going to put swirl marks everywhere.

There is more than enough info on autogeek to learn about detailing.
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

Wool is for the heaviest cut. Use it wrong and you'll go straight through the paint.
Use it right, and you are going to put swirl marks everywhere.

There is more than enough info on autogeek to learn about detailing.
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

Actually you will have more problems with a foam pad , not wool. I would use the wool pad over an orange pad, the wool pad is easier to use and less forgiving than a foam pad. Just so you know, it doesn't matter what pad you use wrong it will do damage to a finish.

+1 on needing some more experience before taking on a car. Find a junker to practice on, or pick up a old panel from a junk yard/body shop. Maybe start with the wool pad and a good low cut polish to get and understanding of how the machine works. I find they tend to be a little easier to use and won't hop/grab as much as some foam pads can. There are a lot of good videos on the net, watch them and then go practice.

Once you feel comfortable with it, pick up some good pads. I'm guessing you have the pads that came with the buffer. It would be better to get some where you know what they are for (cutting, polishing, finishing).

The rotary is a great tool but it can cause a lot of damage in the hands on an inexperienced user.

Rasky :cheers:

Back