PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean tires?

highwaystar
08-24-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm wondering what everyone else uses to clean before dressing. I've used several types of all purpose cleaners (simple green, ect.) diluted with a scrub brush to get the brown stuff off, all with pretty good results. Well, I ran out last week and was ready to clean, so I looked around the house for something else. Ran across a bottle of Clorox Cleanup in the wife's cleaning supplies, so I diluted it 4 to 1 and tried it. Wow, did it do a good job of getting the nice blackness back to the tires.

OK, I know that's probably not the best stuff to use but it's cheap and available and works really well. I was careful not to get any on the wheels, but I'm not sure what it will do to my grass. So far everything seems fine.

I guess my question is what common, around the house stuff do you use to clean tires?

sparkie
08-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Reddwarf
08-24-2006, 12:35 PM
I've not paid much attention to the tires themselves. I'd probably try Simply Green on them. I wonder it the bleach in the clorox would be harmful to the tires or not. I'm guessing that it probably did a darn good job of clearning your tires!

supercharged
08-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Dp Tire and Wheel Cleaner. Acid based cleaners accelarate aging process of rubber, so I stay away form them. Use water based, it's safe.

FloridaNative
08-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Dp Tire and Wheel Cleaner. Acid based cleaners accelarate aging process of rubber, so I stay away form them. Use water based, it's safe.

+1

3Dog
08-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Intially..Amazing Roll-Off...maintain with soap and water and Mr Clean Eraser.

Excessive Detail
08-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Intially..Amazing Roll-Off...maintain with soap and water and Mr Clean Eraser.

What exactly is amazing roll off, also ,maybe I'm wrong, but I've heard that those erasers have fiberglass in them, whcih could be very bad

justin_murphy
08-24-2006, 04:58 PM
I use Purple Power from Advanced Auto. Works amazing on tires and inner fenderwells.
I'm gonna be trying and reviewing DP's Tire and Wheel Gel soon though.

For now, PP is my everyday degreaser and tire cleaner.

3Dog
08-24-2006, 05:14 PM
What exactly is amazing roll off, also ,maybe I'm wrong, but I've heard that those erasers have fiberglass in them, whcih could be very bad
http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html
I too have heard that Mr Erasers have some type of product that is use in the manufacture of fiberglass. We use them on chrome alot without problems. I dont believe you will have any problems using it on tires.

wytstang
08-24-2006, 10:59 PM
What strips my tire dressing off is dog urine, and once I catch the little basterd and possibly the human attached to him I'm going to like like my avatar...... lol j/k I use PB APC mixed 10:1.