PDA

View Full Version : About had a heart attack today!

Pages : [1] 2

crash93ssei
04-23-2009, 08:30 PM
I am detailing a black 2000 S10 Extreme for my soon to be brother-in-law, wedding is this Saturday. He bought the truck new and it is his summer toy.

Anyways, I went through the normal process, wash, clay, dry then inspect it and begin to polish. I used my usual 5.5" orange CCS pad with SIP and 5.5" white pad with Menz. Micro Polish. The hood went great and he only wanted a two stage, so there is still some RIDS hanging around, but a major improvement. Moved onto the passenger side fender and noticed some white spots after the SIP, but didn't think anything of it because of how it dusts sometimes. Changed pads and moved onto the passenger door and extended cab side but noticed the white spots again. I looked closer and about crapped myself.

What did I see?
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/rtoth/P1030148.jpg

Yup. It looked like a grain of sand had somehow gotten imbeded in the pad and just tore up the paint on the door, extended cab, and fender. I remembered changing pads and checked over both pads to see if I could find anything, of course, nothing.

At this point, I am freaking out. I tried Menz Power Gloss compound and it didn't touch the pits. I checked out the fender again and the hood, hood was perfect, but the pits were all over the fender as well. So, as you can imagine, I am about ready to lose it thinking I just killed his paint job. I decided to look at the bed of the truck, knowing that I had not polished that area yet and thankfully found the same marks, but they were very hard to see unless you were actually looking for them.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/rtoth/P1030149.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/rtoth/P1030150.jpg

I knew the truck had been buffed before, I could tell by all the buffer trails all over the place. I called the owner ( Dan ) and explained what I found and asked if he could come out to see first hand the damage and to get proof that I was not the one that caused it. He took it surprisingly well, but I think it had a lot to do with the fact that the guy that buffed it out last time is his best man in his wedding in two days! Personally... I would probably beat the snot out of him.

Dan told me to just do the best I can, so I am going to finish it up tomorrow and throw some Souveran on it Im the MAN

Just thought I would share my little scare for the day with all of you guys :D sorry about the LONG read.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
04-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Yeah man...that would definitely scare the crap out of me!

Rsurfer
04-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Before you beat the snot out of him. The truck is 9 years old, could it be possible that someone else induced those pits, including the owner?

crash93ssei
04-23-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm not going to beat anyone LOL. Not my truck, but if it was my truck I would probably be mad enough to beat someone.

Hard to say for 100% who did the marks, but I would say it was the last buff job it recieved. It has only been done twice before today. The first time was by a friend that knows what he is doing, the last time it was done was by his friend, and Dan told me that he was in a hurry to get it done. It looked like crap and had buffer trails all over the place.

I would say that it was not the owner ( Dan ) though. He does take good care of it.

Rsurfer
04-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Can you feel the pits with your finger nail? If so, repaint is in order. If not, wet sanding is in order. It's hard to beleive that a little grit can do that much damage.

crash93ssei
04-23-2009, 10:10 PM
I dunno... I was soo frustrated that I didn't even bother to check. I do know that nothing I have will touch it. If it was my truck, and I had a rotary, I would try wetsanding, but I just can't try wetsanding on a vehicle that is not mine for my first time, especially with only having a UDM.

I would say that a repaint will probably be in order though.

HMFIC
04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I have never seen pits come from a polisher, maybe scratches.

I have seen sand do similar damage during a hurricane.

Brian_Brice
04-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Those pits didn't come from the polisher, even if you had a rock on your pad, that's now what it would look like.

You're not going to remove natural pitting from a neglested surface with any compound. Maybe someone misinformed you. Normally pitting is more visible after polishing due to a much cleaner, crisp surface, that's to be expected on a canvas such as that.

ZoranC
04-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Those pits didn't come from the polisher, even if you had a rock on your pad, that's now what it would look like.

You're not going to remove natural pitting from a neglested surface with any compound. Maybe someone misinformed you. Normally pitting is more visible after polishing due to a much cleaner, crisp surface, that's to be expected on a canvas such as that.
:whs:

crash93ssei
04-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Normally pitting is more visible after polishing due to a much cleaner, crisp surface, that's to be expected on a canvas such as that.

That is what I was thinking.

As far as it not being from a buffer, then what in the world do you think it could have come from? They are not all pits, most of them just look like very short scratches. I don't know, that is just the only thing I could think of that made any sense to me.

img
04-24-2009, 10:04 AM
1. You live near a gravel pit?
2. They are doing construction on the highway you take to work
3. The kids on the playground thought the gravel would look good on black
4. The crew that was doing construction on the building near where you
work were only concerned about their work
5. Yo did not pay the guy you lost money to on the NCAA Championships

woo0f1
04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
That's pretty bad.. http://www.pppcm.com/72l1082.jpg

RaskyR1
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
IMO it looks like either high wind damage or the starting of "check cracking"

crash93ssei
04-24-2009, 11:21 AM
1. You live near a gravel pit?
2. They are doing construction on the highway you take to work
3. The kids on the playground thought the gravel would look good on black
4. The crew that was doing construction on the building near where you
work were only concerned about their work
5. Yo did not pay the guy you lost money to on the NCAA Championships

Not my truck LOL funny though :D

He does live in an area where there are a lot of dirt roads, although this truck rarely sees them. Upon closer examination of the marks, along with what was said here, I think I am going to retract my statement about it being from a buffer. I have just never seen anything like this before, so that is just the only thing I could think of that could even remotely explain the marks. I am outside working on it right now and am still baffled as to what caused them, but they are so small that I can't feel them with my fingernail.

IMO it looks like either high wind damage or the starting of "check cracking"

I never thought of the cracking. Maybe that is it?

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
04-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Could this have come from an auto carwash? Maybe something was in the brushes or something? I don't know..just thinking out loud.