Can my headlight be salvaged?

Girn

Reaction score
Hi there, I recently got into an accident and my headlights got messed up.. im just wondering what grit to start at and what grits I need to fix my headlights.. I dont want to buy any headlight restoration product or kits.. id like to use what I have.. i have a meguires polisher with plastx and optimum polish.. let me know what the steps are to fix this. thanks a lot

ImageShack® - Gallery

It looks like you may be able to as long as there are no cracks, which i dont see. I would prob start with 1500 and then 2000 wet sanding, then clear it or use a plastic polish sealant for UV blocking.

i think it may require lower then 1500 to start off with.. but im not sure what grit to start from.. there is no cracks..

You can always try 1500 and if that does not work go lower by one step and see if that helps out. Then polish out.

can anyone else give insight? thanks

If your going to do it by hand 800,1000 then 1200. You only need to finish with 1500 if you dont have a agressive polish/compound otherwise 1200 will be perfectly fine. Plastic is very soft and easily corrected.

I know you said you didn't want to "buy" anything, but check out the 3m Headlight Restoration kit. It is a great kit and has 500, 800 and 3000 grit discs. It is only $20 and my local Autozone had it on the shelf.

You will need to use a drill, and some masking tape to protect the paintwork around the light.

Here is the 3m demo video
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA]YouTube - 3M™ Headlight Lens Restoration System[/video]

Back