PDA

View Full Version : Really Dirty Wheels

F348TS
03-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I have a set of Kinesis Supercup 3 piece wheels, and the rim portion of the wheels is quite pitted and filled with brake dust, etc. Any recommendations for trying to get the wheels really clean (and hopefully keeping them that way)?

SpoiledMan
03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Is the rim section polished or coated?

F348TS
03-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Polished.

ScottB
03-28-2006, 06:20 PM
most three piece wheel lips are polished / uncoated which means they will oxidize in normal atmospheric conditions. Most wheel cleaners cannot be used, as well as APC's, as they will stain the rim almost immediately.

I use soap and water most of the time to keep my Iforged 3 Piece wheels clean. I then follow up with a good metal polish (Mothers Powermetal, Simichrome, Wenol) and then seal with DP's Wheel Glaze. When wheels are super dirty and a wheel cleaner is needed, I use P21S Wheel Cleaner or Griots Wheel Cleaner as they dont stain.

SpoiledMan
03-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Since they have gotten to the point of being pitted, your best option at this point is to find a good wheel shop somewhere near you that can remove the centers and re-polish the outer lips. Far better results will be achieved by machine than your hands will ever dream of. After this is done, you can take care of them with aluminum polish and use soap and water for regular cleanings.

F348TS
03-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks very much for the thoughts!