PDA

View Full Version : Winter Car Care Plan, Any suggestions????

touringsedan
06-29-2009, 11:25 AM
So I just got started using a PC 7424 and am getting used to it. I also am getting used to some of the products here on the forum as well. Most of which I have never heard of before. I have decided upon a general plan of weekly washing, quarterly waxing and twice yearly claying. Now what I am trying to do is decide upon some new products. What I need to do is find some products that will last the winter and stand up to it as well.

I hear that Klasse and Collinite are good long term sealants. Does each repective polish also stand up on its own just as well? Is there any one that is preferred more than the other? I keep hearing about the Klasse/souveran combo does it really work that well? What about the other brands?

Is there any brand or type of wax that would be best suited for cold winters with regular/occasional snow and precipitation?

Trying to get the plan together before the time hits.

As always any help is appreciated

Touring Sedan

Blackfire
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
My plan is quarterly claying, washing, polishing and wax. I've learned today to clay & wash. No more spritzing for me, it's a waste of time. Using the Megs shampoo is just as slick and the contaminants come right off. The clay bar lasts longer too!

My fall plan for both vehicles, which are black and dark gray:

Wash & Clay as the same time, rinse away contamination. :)
Wolfgang Polish Enhancer
Wolfgang Sealant 3.0
Two to Three layers of Max Wax right up to Thanksgiving.
Wheel Glaze Monthly up to Thanksgiving.
DP Gel Gloss tire treatment as needed.

Combined with washing as needed, (I wash when dirty), this should get my cars through the winter.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
06-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Winter?! I sure hate to think about winter in JUNE! Anyways... In October'ish,I hit my personal ride with a light spot claying, a stripping wash solution to remove all traces of sealant/wax. Then I amp up the shine with Menzerna 106 followed by some PO87MC on a gold Kompressor pad on the Makita 9227. I then apply a sealant, 2 coats, followed by Collonite #476. This combo lasted a HARSH Michigan winter. The water was STILL beading in March. Durring the winter, I went through a no-touch wash four times. I know I'm gonna get some heat for this one... but the main reason I did was for the undercarriage wash. All other washes were done at the quarter wash. I used the pressure washer (plain water) to blast off the salt and grime then went home to do a waterless wash. Hope this helps.

Emile
06-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Klasse AIO and Collinite 845 are extremely durable products but they are both extremely hard to buff off, unless you are good at applying products super thin. But aside from difficult application/removal, they are a great winter setup.

Personally, I never use the same winter setup twice because I just get bored of doing the same thing over and over again. Last year, I used a coat of Zaino Z-AIO and Zaino Z-CS and topped them both with Optimum Car Wax. And after almost every wash, I re-applied the Optimum Car Wax since it's a spray wax.

For next winter, I am thinking of a base of Z-AIO, 2 coats of Collinte 845, and then Optimum Car Wax as my maintenance spray. And I'd like to seal up the glass with Z-CS.