PDA

View Full Version : Claying in the sun?

ZmZoom6
09-10-2006, 08:19 AM
I've never clayed before, but I don't have access to a garage. I bought some Clay magic and plan on using that. Anyone know if it can be used in the sun? Also, should I clay after i wash or during?

bluzman
09-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Since your going to be out in the sun, I would clay while I was washing. Or wait til the evening as the sun starts going down.

alban61
09-10-2006, 08:36 AM
I clayed for the first time, about 2 months ago. I used the Mothers Clay Bar system. I used their directions and what I've read on this site. Basically, washed first. Then clayed using a QD. I did this in the sun too and had no problems with the clay sticking. I too have no access to a garage and my SUV sits outdoors 24/7.

ZmZoom6
09-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Good to know. Thanks for the help.

ScottB
09-10-2006, 10:40 AM
you can clay in the sun, the bigger deal is keeping the cars finish wet and slippery.

darksparkz
09-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Just make sure you buff off/dry off the QD after wiping your claybar over that certain stop so it won't dry for water marks. Claying should work fine in the sun, just make sure the surface is properly wet with QD so the bar can smoothly slide across.

supercharged
09-10-2006, 08:06 PM
As long as it's not 90 or higher outside, there should be no problem.

emaxxman
09-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I've never clayed before, but I don't have access to a garage. I bought some Clay magic and plan on using that. Anyone know if it can be used in the sun? Also, should I clay after i wash or during?

The first time I clayed, it was with Clay Magic in full July sun. Now, Clay Magic is actually pretty hard to mold. It was like ooze from the heat of the metal heating it up. You can do it but pay close attention to the thickness of the clay as it softens. I found I had to remold very frequently just to keep its shape. The clay lube also dries very quickly. I had to rewash my car afterwards. Get yourself a few bottles of clay lube or quick detailer if you're going to do this on a hot car.

With that all said, I just clayed the hood, front fenders, and bumber of minivan this past Saturday. The weather was very cool and I was working on it around 10 am. I just finished washing the car and clayed before I dried the car. Car was not even warm to touch even with the sun out...water sheeted off but didn't dry off if you know what I mean.

The clay held its shape very well. I also now use Optimum No Rinse and Wash mixed as a QD. I sprayed liberally with it to keep the lubrication.

I was using Clay Magic too btw. I would really recommend getting up early and clayiny no later than 10 am. My van is silver which may have helped to repel heat. I noticed that the dew collected on my dark green Accord was actually steaming off while I was washing the van. I was done before 11am so neither car was hot to touch.

ZmZoom6
09-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I actually ended up claying in my parents garage. After that I used some VMG and topped it off w/ a coat of S100. Looks good for a daily beater. I'll post some pics tomorrow