PDA

View Full Version : Removing spraypaint from alloy wheels

Pages : [1] 2

JCruiza120
07-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Hey guys, I have a set of BBS wheels that I'm doing a little personal cleaning/restoration project on. They were used in track form so they were covered in track pad dust and all kinds of other nasties.

I got all but the most difficult pad dust off, but what is a good product to use to get the rest out? I used Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner for the first attack at theem.

Second question - One wheel has a large area where the previous owner did a test spray with some wheel spray paint, and I'm not sure exactly how to go about getting that off - anyone have suggestions that won't effect the original finish of the BBS's?

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/jcruiza120/bbs%20wheels/CIMG1283.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/jcruiza120/bbs%20wheels/CIMG1282.jpg

Thanks!

James

belcherm58
07-30-2009, 06:44 AM
I think I would try buffing with a light polishing compound with a drill
mounted 3 inch foam pad and backing plate. and use a small power ball
for inside of the spokes. Start light on polishing compounds and step up till you remove the over spray. You probably going to have to buff all the wheels after buffing the problem one to get the same shine on all. I just buffed my wheels that were 7 years old and man what a difference in luster. All my friends thought I bought new wheels. I have aluminum wheels that are clear coated.

JCruiza120
07-30-2009, 06:51 AM
On these should I use any particular wheel polish or should I just use my standard Meg's ultimate compound?

belcherm58
07-30-2009, 06:54 AM
I looked at your wheels again. You might be better served to get the
Mothers cone shaped drill attachment for inside the spokes. The ball worked on mine as they do not have the spokes. Mine are aluminum disc wheels with the holes of about an inch around the center. I used Poorboys SSR1.
I am not familiar with that particular Meguiars compund. Start light and step up till you bust that problem.

JCruiza120
07-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Thank you!

belcherm58
07-30-2009, 07:04 AM
This is the Mothers Power Cone I was telling you about. Autogeek has it. Be sure to use a paint correction polish and not a metal polish.

Mothers PowerCone Polishing Tool, drill polishing tool, foam polishing cone, power cone, polish wheels, polish metal, mother metal polish (http://www.autogeek.net/power-cone-polishing-tool.html)

This is the Mothers Mini Power Ball.

Mothers PowerBall Mini Polishing Tool is a small, foam polishing ball that works with Mothers metal & car polishes! Attach to your electric drill for (http://www.autogeek.net/powerballmini.html)

belcherm58
07-30-2009, 07:17 AM
I might add that the drill operated 3 inch power ball comes with a
extension that comes in handy for recessed areas. I have found the drill
operated balls,cones and 3 inch pads offer significant tools for recessed
areas and small areas that the large buffers can't get to, like grills and
handle recess areas. Autogeek carries all of these attachments for drills.

JCruiza120
07-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Good deal, I'll look into both the ball and the cone.

ryandamartini
07-30-2009, 07:34 AM
have you foamed is with some apc and aggressive soap and letting it sit ?

JCruiza120
07-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I did, I'm starting to think I just need a better wheel tool to scrub the crevices rather than a better cleaning solution.

O.C.Detailing
07-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Try a claybar on the overspray as well, see if that gets it to come off. It's possible the paint is baked on being as it's on a rim and near the center where the heat is the strongest. That would actually mean it's probably bonded to the clearcoat on the rims. You'll probably be stuck compounding as previously mentioned or even wet-sanding. Just make sure, if you wet-sand, to use 1500 grit or higher paper and keep it and the surface soaked with either soapy water or a quick detail spray and it should take that right off. Because it's a rim, the clear coat is usually extra thick, so you should have LOTS of room to play if you need to take a layer or two off of the top, just don't go too aggressive. Once wet-sanded, hit it up with a quality polish, sealant and then wax on top. I bet you'd see a HUGE different in appearance.

I use Meguiar's Wheel Brightener diluted 10:1 for baked on brake dust. Let it dwell for a minute on the bad spots and aggitate with a soft-bristle brush or toothbrush even (hard toothbrush). Good luck.

JCruiza120
07-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'm heading out shortly to get a smaller wheel tool and a powerball (even if it doesn't do the job on this my polished DD wheels really need to get their polish back >.<)

belcherm58
07-30-2009, 08:47 AM
You will love the Mini Powerball. I use it on my grill and recesses for the door handles and under the hood buffing paint when I detail my engine compartment. Great tool.

O.C.Detailing
07-30-2009, 08:50 AM
I'll have to look into the PowerBall as well. Didn't know they made smaller one. That'd help with some of the tight areas in end up in on most cars I detail.

nrengle
07-30-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree with the Meg's Wheel Brightener. Just be careful it's acid based, use as directed only! And only let it dwell for a short time as it can do some serious damage other wise.