Couple of questions about MF

ZmZoom6

Reaction score
Hey all...couple of quick questions:

1. I did a MF wash w/ warm water and it seems some of the dye ran onto another towel in the wash...not a big deal right?

2. One of my good Cobra Polishing MF's got snagged on an emblem and there is slight unraveling...should I stop using it?

3. Where is a good place to get some MF's besides Cobras?

1. I did a MF wash w/ warm water and it seems some of the dye ran onto another towel in the wash...not a big deal right? The dye from a MF towel ran onto another? Or a regular towel ran onto a MF towel?

2. One of my good Cobra Polishing MF's got snagged on an emblem and there is slight unraveling...should I stop using it? No a snag does not equal putting the MF towel to rest!:o

3. Where is a good place to get some MF's besides Cobras?http://www.autogeek.net/coblallpumit.html

I too am amiss as to what type of towel bleed onto another. I never had any color transfer from micros, and I dont wash them with any other towel. Do it once and you will see what a lint trap they (micros) become.

As for the snag, when possible just trim it away with sissors. If it cannot, then use it for other areas of the car like the interior going forward.

After buying loads of microfiber towels from many vendors, I can tell you stick with Cobras where possible. Ultra plush, , miracle towel, glass WW, and indigo's are the best out there. Guzzler rocks too, but thats for drying.

Cobras a very good paint towels....

Ofcourse asking the "manufacturer" of Cobra where you can get other MF besides them... well I dont think you're going to get an answer you like....

There are other vendors that sell MFs... Some people like Pakshak, and there are others that like what DC sells (if you know what DC is, Id rather not link them and aggrivate the AG gods).... and I think the ones that PB's sells directly are the same type....
Im sure there are others that are quality... but you're gonna have to do your own research unfortunately.....

I love cobras and I already own a few and plan on owning alot more. They're awsome. I just need some budget MF's, thats all, and I don't wanna shell out cash for ones that are gonna do dirty work. Thanks for the input everyone

You want 'budget' MF's ? You aint getting more budget the BJ's or Costco.. I use them at times on the paint... but I dont recommend that to anyone.... But for dash, wheel, glass, etc they are an absolute bargain....

If your looking at budget MF's, stay with either Target's Vroom brand (orange) or the Viking Micros you can find at K-Mart and some auto places. The Viking brand is just as good as the Cobras and Pakshak towels I have. Vroom is slightly less soft but has excellent bite when removing sealents/waxes etc.

What still surprises me is that the Zaino website recommends using 100% USA made cotton towels. Nowhere are MFs ever mentioned!

Any reason for this?

Its because alot of the MF's come from different parts of China/Korea and there isnt much QA with them.... Its tough to say 'Micro Fiber' are safe when there are so many variations/manufactureres.....
With 100% USA towels, there are VERY VERY few left... if any..
He's gonna have to change eventually.... I bet when he finally decides to sell them! :-)

Ace is exactly correct, although Zaino is missing the boat on 100% cotton also. There alot of these type towels, and terry cloth, that still have polyester ribbons and borders. These can scratch. Unfortunately in the modern world no "blanket" stmts are valid. There are good and bad to everything.

A good microfiber is a valid choice, but buy them from the best, and test them on smaller items (cd) first.

Corvette_Parts_003.jpg

What about stains? I used the Pinnacle detergent twice, but there remains discoloration. Will this advesely affect its absorption or softness? My buddy improperly used Crystal Mist on his dirty SUV before I got up (sleepy from late night detailing). He wasted over half the bottle, ruined several MF towels and stained others. I spent three nights just pulling out pieces of leaves with tweezers. And no, he will NOT do that again; adult supervision is now required before touching my AG products.

Torsion Tool said:
What about stains? I used the Pinnacle detergent twice, but there remains discoloration. Will this advesely affect its absorption or softness? My buddy improperly used Crystal Mist on his dirty SUV before I got up (sleepy from late night detailing). He wasted over half the bottle, ruined several MF towels and stained others. I spent three nights just pulling out pieces of leaves with tweezers. And no, he will NOT do that again; adult supervision is now required before touching my AG products.
Stains won't really hurt. This is what I do, all my micros get left in buckets of hot water mixed with a solution of APC/Degreaser and Tide Liquid Free. That alone removes any gunk beofre washing and even grease type stains only leave a slight discoloring to a few of my micros.

I would also note, that once a MF towel has seen leaves and other debris, it is time to rid yourself of it, or leave it as an oil towel. Far to easy to make some serious scratches, and you can buy MF in bulk to help avoid losing just one.

Thanks, guys; that's what I was afraid of. Oh, well... more items on the shopping list. Assuming I properly maintain them, about how long can I expect them to last as first prime before demoting them to auxiliary or mechanical use?

Those grey ones with the black borders are more than 3 years old. Still super soft, and really the first WW design. With proper care, you should see many years. I store mine seperately, wash seperately from any other laundry, and pickup more than my fair share at every detailing site.

Killr: can I please ask what your exact regimen is in cleaning your MFs? Looking at the massive amount that you have, I bet you can share!

P1et said:
Killr: can I please ask what your exact regimen is in cleaning your MFs? Looking at the massive amount that you have, I bet you can share!

1. Keep the clean seperated in a closed cabinet (no dust)

2. After use, keep them segregated in seperate bucket with other micros only, youd be surprised at just what they'll lift when wet.

**Usually around 15 towels to wash weekly. Two cars ... two washing/detailing micro's, one drying towel, one qd'er and one glass. Vette washed twice weekly, SRX once. When full detail needed, more than double quantity due to polishes and waxes always start fresh on each side and tops.

3. Kiss wife for doing all laundry (she takes over here)

4. Places only micro's in wash. Warm water, Microrestore cleaner, and double rinse (no fabric softner) -- I dont add vinegar any longer as use commercial micro cleaners Microrestore and Pinnacle Rejuvinator only.

5. Immediately placed into dryer, air tumble, with dryer balls.

6. Fold in laundry room, do not allow to sit on carpet or cloth furniture in piles till folded. Immediate attention is required once weekly.

7. Kiss wife .... thank her for falling into my crazy detailing regimines.

Back