QD to clear water spots the day after?

MisterShark

Reaction score
Some background 'case details' in case these facts are relevant for your answer:
  • car in question is my new black RAV4 (1 month old)
  • history: car had previously gotten it's first application of Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax about 2 weeks ago
  • QD in question is Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer
  • car wash used was ArmorAll Car Wash Concentrate
The first chance I've gotten to give my car a thorough washing since first washing & applying the vehicle's first-ever Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax coat came yesterday evening, with threatening skys overhead, but no direct sunshine.

I had precious little time and didn't have a measuring cup on-hand to make the car wash concentrate/water ratio exact, and there's a possibility that I may have used too much.

Anyway, after washing and rinsing using the flooding method I grabbed my brand new Cobra Guzzler WW HD MFs and worked as quickly as I could to dry off the finish.
I thought I had done a decent job drying but due to less-than-ideal lighting conditions and a shortage of available time I guess I didn't see the impending water spotting conditions that I apparently and inadvertantly had set the stage for.
As I mentioned, unfortunately I didn't have time to follow the wash and dry with my Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax spray. In hindsight this is probably a good thing since I apparently had not dried the car adequately enough to set things up ideally for the wax application.

So this morning after pulling into my workplace's underground parking deck I noticed that I've got small water spots all over.

So here's my plan of attack:
  • Carrand Microfiber MAX Pure Shine Car Duster (haven't used this item yet) to remove any dust or whatever might have settled on the finish overnight last night and during the ride in to work this morning.
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer spray applied as directed, with 2 MFs.
Seems like a simple way to remedy my unsightly but recent water spotting, but I thought it best to run it by you folks for your seal of approval. Sometimes some of the simplest plans can go terribly wrong and I'm new to the world of car detailing, so better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the advice ahead of time.

I would just be careful with your plan of attack. I think you have as much of a chance of inducing swirls vs. actually removing the water spots. Toyota is known to have softer paint which means it can easily be marred by doing a once over with a QD. I've experienced this doing a QD day after a wash even on harder VW paint.

Is the armor all shampoo the green apple smelling type stuff? If so, it's pretty strong soap and might be removing some of the quick wax you used.

If I remember correctly, you have a Black RAV4? If I were you, I would only QD the car after a wash, before having driven it again, especially with a black vehicle. Scratches and swirls are so easy to see on black. On the other hand, if you don't wash your car again in a week or so, the water spots will start to etch into the paint. Try to make some time to wash the vehicle again and thoroughly dry it and then use the Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer or Quik Wax.

I would just be careful with your plan of attack. I think you have as much of a chance of inducing swirls vs. actually removing the water spots. Toyota is known to have softer paint which means it can easily be marred by doing a once over with a QD. I've experienced this doing a QD day after a wash even on harder VW paint.

I'll proceed with caution, thanks.
The car has been sitting in the parking deck (in complete shade) since 8:30 this morning, so it's finish surface temp is air temp, and at least it won't be softened due to sun exposure.

Is the armor all shampoo the green apple smelling type stuff? If so, it's pretty strong soap and might be removing some of the quick wax you used.

Nah, no scent that stands out in my memory like a green apple scent would. It's this stuff
ArmorAll claims that it won't strip wax.

If you do it like you planned, make sure you use at elast 3-4 MF's. Always have a clean dust free side to flip to for each panel.

If you do it like you planned, make sure you use at elast 3-4 MF's. Always have a clean dust free side to flip to for each panel.

I actually got by with 2 MFs but learned a lesson anyway about the quality of MFs: cheap ones shed lint fibers :(
The 2 MFs I had thrown in the car this morning for my lunchtime QDing were from a Costco mega pack. You get what you pay for as usual.
Those little shed fibers won't cause any problems if I have to leave them there until my next full wash, right?

I won't make the mistake of buying unknown-quality MFs again, no matter how cheap. I guess I can use them for door jambs, tires, wheels, etc..

I think I am on the right path though. I have just received my 2 new Cobra Guzzler WW HD MFs for drying, and some decent (if not spectacular) Vroom brand MFs for QDing, glass and interior wipedowns.

I would wash it ....

Agreed but with just short of 11 hours of my day being taken by my job, 2 kids, a wife and 2 in-laws living at my house: time is a little short for me.

My only chance to do a full wash is on weekends and that's weather-permitting & granted that I don't have a poker table to build (my side job) or am working on my backyard deck's construction project :(

So I guess I havta pray that those little shed strands lay there benignly until Saturday. In my favor I have underground parking at work, so at least there won't be the likelyhood (if it is possible at all) for those fibers to somehow bake into my finish during the intense sun hours of the days.

Back