Shedding Microfibers: Argh!!! >:(

MisterShark

Reaction score
OK, I'm officially done with the cheap MFs from untested/unproven sources!

I just got done washing and waxing (Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax) my car and as the daylight was starting to fade quickly I finished up the job.
Everything looked great from what I could tell.

Later on, once it was completely dark, I went out to the garage for something and grabbed by high power worklight to take a quick look at my handiwork. To my surprise my car had plenty of tiny little individual strands of shed microfibers all over it!:mad:

I had applied the UQW with one of Meguiar's
'Even Coat Microfiber Applicator Pads' and did the 1st wipe-off with a 2nd one. The problem is that I did an additional wipe-off step with one of my Costco el-cheapo MFs, which unbeknown to me, was apparently leaving little fibers all over the place (which were invisible in the fading daylight).
Now I had used this particular MF previously, fresh from the package, and it shed when I did a QD during it's first use, so I should have learned my lesson then. But I had since washed it and being the eternal (and frugal) optimist I was hoping that maybe the washing and drying process would have knocked any loose fibers from the towel and what remained would be a usable MF.
Apparently this was not the case!

So now I'm going to have to figure out the best course of action to remove the little fibers tomorrow without negating the wax job I completed today (suggestions please).

So I suppose I can still use these Costco MFs for interior work, door sills, wheels, tires, etc.. But here's the question that remains on my mind: if I wash these things with my good Cobra MFs, will they shed fibers in the washing machine which might then somehow transfer to my Cobras (and then my car the next time I use those Cobras)?

I usually prefer to do my MF wash load in one batch to save time and conserve water/energy/money, but am thinking that it might be safer to wash these Costco MFs separately.

BTW: this experience has prompted me to pull the trigger on this week's VIP special which will add those six new Indigos to my 2 Guzzler HDs and the 3 530s which are already on their way to me now.

I have officially learned my lesson about too-cheap/good-to-be-true MFs.

So you did wash the MFs before you used them?

I bought some MFs from AG, but I also bought some Proforce Yellow MFs from Sam's Club. I intend to use the Sam's Club MFs for hazardous/disposable situations where I did not want to ruin a $3/ea - $6/ea MF.

MisterShark, after reading your post, I am wondering if I should wash the Sam's Club MFs before I use them. The last thing I want is to be driving a fuzzy bumblebee.

One the back of the Sam's Club package it says that these MFs are made/distributed by HOMETEX. Do the COSTCO ones come from the same place?

So you did wash the MFs before you used them?

No, not when I first got victimized by their shedding tendencies when I used them straight out of the package for a QD.
Read on though: I did wash and dry them following that first incident, and decided to give them one more try to see if it had made a difference.

I bought some MFs from AG, but I also bought some Proforce Yellow MFs from Sam's Club. I intend to use the Sam's Club MFs for hazardous/disposable situations where I did not want to ruin a $3/ea - $6/ea MF.

That's what I've decided to do with these now. Door sills, interior detailing, rims and tire drying (in preparation for tire dressing application).

MisterShark, after reading your post, I am wondering if I should wash the Sam's Club MFs before I use them. The last thing I want is to be driving a fuzzy bumblebee.

lol; you'll have to look closely to see the fibers and most folks won't notice. The people on this board would all notice though.
One of the things that lead to me giving these MFs another try was the hope that a washing and drying would possibly shake loose some of the shed-prone fibers, leaving the useful strongly-attached fibers intact and ready to go. This was a mistake: after putting them through the washer/dryer they still shed when I tried using them for a Quik Wax wipe-off (and I only used them for the 2nd wipe-off pass!).

If you do decide to use them for something other than hazardous/disposable situations then I advise giving your Sam's Club MFs a test panel application using a QD. Choose maybe one of your car's quarter panels: spread your QD with one side and wipe it off with the other. If it ends up shedding it'll be no big deal to remove the little pain-in-the-ass fibers from just that one small test section.

One the back of the Sam's Club package it says that these MFs are made/distributed by HOMETEX. Do the COSTCO ones come from the same place?

I just snapped some camera phone shots of mine for your review. Not sure if there's any tie-in between the 2 stores' stock and their manufacturing points of origin.

Front:
0816091627.jpg

Back:
0816091628.jpg

When was the last time you clay barred the car?

I notice MF fibers on section of my cars that have not been clay barred for awhile.

I notice MF fibers on section of my cars that have not been clay barred for awhile.
Do you really think claying will eliminate linting from a towel that is already linting?

It seems the thicker and softer a towel is the more likely it may lint initially.

I see alot of posts on lint and the new Zaino towels and Cobra Shamrocks and both are some of the nicest and softest towels around. I use a dedicated MF cleaner and dryer balls and it seems to keep lint in check, but really would have to thank wife as she controls laundry in general !

Do you really think claying will eliminate linting from a towel that is already linting?
Is it possible that the contaminants in/on the paint could snag some of the micro fibers and create some lint?
Some of the stuff that clay picks up is pretty coarse.

Is it possible that the contaminants in/on the paint could snag some of the micro fibers and create some lint?
Some of the stuff that clay picks up is pretty coarse.
I agree that a rough surface will trap more lint, but you won't stop a linting towel from getting on to your paint. The static from wiping will stick like glue.

It seems the thicker and softer a towel is the more likely it may lint initially.

I see alot of posts on lint and the new Zaino towels and Cobra Shamrocks and both are some of the nicest and softest towels around. I use a dedicated MF cleaner and dryer balls and it seems to keep lint in check, but really would have to thank wife as she controls laundry in general !
Wow Killr, a live in mf cleaner. Lucky guy!

To address the question of whether or not it's time to clay: I think I have some time before I do that step. The car is only a month old (black 09' RAV4) and it's finish is perfect at this point as far as I can tell.

I gave it it's first wash and application of Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax a week into it's life and have QD'd it since then. Yesterday was marked it's second complete wash and application of Meg's UQW.

My wife took it to Pennsylvania earlier today (about an hour and a half trip from where we live in central Jersey) so I'm hoping that the highway miles (and the air moving past the finish at 70mph) might have blown away some of most of the fibers :)

I'm thinking this is a simple case of poor/low quality merchandise purchased at cut-rate prices.
Let's face it: you usually get what you pay for.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions regarding this. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
If it is brand new it probably needs claying for rail dust and other things.

I'm going to discontinue using those MFs altogether and switch to my Cobra stuff exclusively.
If I still see the same problem with shedding then I'll try clay for the first time.

I picked my new car up in April, I clayed the hood, as I thought that it was the only area that would need it.

Well no fiber on the hood, but there was fibers on the rest of the car. They where new towels (The Cookie Monster Buffing Towel.

Update:

During my lunch break I headed out to my fiber-laden car, armed with my QD spray and a Simoniz MF. The Simoniz MF in question was given to me by someone and I don't know where it stands quality-wise versus a Cobra MF but it's somewhat plush and just has a better quality feel and appearance.

After QDing some of the most fiber-laden areas with a generous application of Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer, a spreading wipe with the Simoniz MF, and a wipe-off with the other side of the Simoniz MF: the little fibers have all but dissapeared.

So what I'm deducing from that scenario is that it is indeed the questionable quality of the Costco MFs that allowed my car to become covered with it's shed fibers.
If the shed fibers were due primarily to contaminants embedded in my new car's clearcoat then I would have expected the Simoniz MF to fall victim to a forced fiber shedding as well (which it did not).

The Verdict:
steer clear of Costco MFs unless you intend to use them for interior dusting perhaps or areas such as rims, tires, or door sills.
Spend the extra $$s on solid-quality MFs and be happy.

Last edited:
Back