Prices

Da Fats

Reaction score
How much are you guys charging for these 15- 30 hour detail jobs? and how much time are you spending on each part? Washing, wheels, interior, engine, paint prep, and each step?

Does every car get the same attention to detail just no paint correction or do you do other jobs at a lower level and lower cost to the client?

I feel like I am stuck in the mini-van- soccer mom loop... they don't care about the paint they want 9 hours of interior work done to get all red stuff outta the carpet :( Some of these interior are trashed and they expect a "full detail" for a couple hundred dollars.

I charge 60/hr for paint correction. Depending on condition of the car and owners expectations determine how long of a process.

I replied to your other thread too, but for such cases as this (soccer mom's wanting a "full detail" with the interior being the focal point), I don't do a full detail. I do a full interior detail, and my normal wash routine (which includes fender wells, jambs, tires [dressed], wheels, etc. - all the outside stuff cleaned). I don't do any paint correction, and for a little more $ do a wax job (applied via PC). This is what 90% of the ones I have encountered want. As long as the outside is clean and shiny, they don't care about any marks, swirls, etc.

I did make the mistake one time of underestimating how long a Yukon Denali XL was going to take, and did a 3-step paint correction on it, and a full interior detail (behind 5 kids being in it for a week of vacation - use your imagination). Lesson learned - the interior and the exterior are 2 different animals (on dirty vehicles). Treat them as such.

Now, if you have a clientele that drives high-end cars and dirty means they have a few dirt spots on the floor mats, some dirt on the carpet, and dust on the rest of the interior, that's almost a gimme.

DLB

I just recently started to offer an "interior package". I've had a good response by offering it. (I also offer an "exterior package" as well.)

I do get mini van moms like you mentioned. That's why I had to spring for the Aztec. Worth it though.

$45 per hour....

Boy. I wish I could charge that much. It's had for me to get $30/hr down here next door to Mexico.

StephensPrestigeDetailing-NEWRATES-.jpg

I think I need to move away from here. lol

as much as I can get......no seriously, quote high, build yourself up and the quality you give and ask them what they thinks its worth. most of my client dont argue price...it is what it is. How do you price perfection?

In time, in time. Once your rep is even further established, I'm sure you will not have a problem getting $60+ an hour.

Uh, the Rio Grande Valley runs about 10 years behind San Antonio, TX in everything. No one down here spends their money. Also, well ove 75% of the population down here has very poor credit.

It will not happen. :(

as much as I can get......no seriously, quote high, build yourself up and the quality you give and ask them what they thinks its worth. most of my client dont argue price...it is what it is. How do you price perfection?

If you wish to see how bad things are, please look at the attached link. The two worst counties in the US are, America's 10 Most Impoverished Cities, :

#1 - Hidalgo County
#2 - Cameron County

In Depth: America's 10 Most Impoverished Cities - McAllen, Texas (Worst Poverty) - Forbes.com

Uh, the Rio Grande Valley runs about 10 years behind San Antonio, TX in everything. No one down here spends their money. Also, well ove 75% of the population down here has very poor credit.

Stephen, you're right. Don't let these guys that have wealthy clientel tell you otherwise. Your area will determine what you charge.

I've been on both ends of the spectrum. In Florida, I could charge what I wanted and was never questioned. Here in the San Luis Valley in Southern Colorado I have to charge what the people can afford. This is a farming community. We also have two of the poorest counties in the nation located in the San Luis Valley. I could charge what I wanted, but my intentions aren't to stare at the wall dreaming of detailing cars.

Most of us dream of living in an area where we can charge ungodly amounts and never be questioned. The ones that do live in those areas don't understand what its like to be in an area where that won't get you a single client.

Colin

Last edited:

I went for the silver lining. I failed. :D I guess it's like cnfowler said, I don't understand the situation/locale you guys are in. Well whatever happens, good luck. Although, $30 an hour is not too shabby.

Do some of you trust to guess what they can afford and charge more?

It in not uncommon to see different prices even in the same city but just depends on where you live. Should you have to charge what the poorest clientele can afford to pay? If you publish prices you are locked in.

I have the toys that no one down here has. Well, except for one person who is part of our AGO family. I have a steamer which is AWSOME for doing interior work. I also have a Tornado which is also AWSOME for interior work.

In this town, people do refer others to me since I take my time and get things down correctly. I have some people waiting on me to arrive back in town after Thanksgiving. 2 Lexus, MB GL550 and some others. It's all mainly interior work. :props:

If you wish to see how bad things are, please look at the attached link. The two worst counties in the US are, America's 10 Most Impoverished Cities, :

#1 - Hidalgo County
#2 - Cameron County

In Depth: America's 10 Most Impoverished Cities - McAllen, Texas (Worst Poverty) - Forbes.com

I guess what I was trying to say was for your area, survey other detailers and base your charge on a slightly higher wage and build yourself up to the customer that your detail is far superior than others thats why you demand a higher price. Most people that want their cars "detailed" know they are going to pay more than the "hand wax" guy up the street. If they drive nice cars and take care of them, which is the reason they come to you in the first place, than they probably could afford the few extra $$ IMO

I guess what I was trying to say was for your area, survey other detailers and base your charge on a slightly higher wage and build yourself up to the customer that your detail is far superior than others thats why you demand a higher price. Most people that want their cars "detailed" know they are going to pay more than the "hand wax" guy up the street. If they drive nice cars and take care of them, which is the reason they come to you in the first place, than they probably could afford the few extra $$ IMO

When I get back here after Thanksgiving, I will have to drive around and take pics of these so called "Car Wash Places" and you will be able to understand. These places charge less than $10 for wash, vac, dressing and such. Their job work is bad but, people do not care. They want the cheap price.

When I get back here after Thanksgiving, I will have to drive around and take pics of these so called "Car Wash Places" and you will be able to understand. These places charge less than $10 for wash, vac, dressing and such. Their job work is bad but, people do not care. They want the cheap price.

Yes! Cheap is the word in this economic crunch. I sell professional house painting, kitchen and bath remodeling, and floors.

Next year I plan on making a killing repairing what the cheap hacks have messed up.

A car wash here charges $7.50 for a touch-less wash, blow dry followed by a towel dry, and foam tire dressing. That line is around the corner everyday at lunch and dinner time. He is doing so well with it, that he just added two more stores within 10 miles of each other.

Back