"Pits" in paint---what are they caused from?

dengood1

Reaction score
"Pits" in paint---what are they caused from?

What are these tiny pits in my hood (entire hood) that I cannot seem to eliminate? They are about the size of a pinhead and I cannot remove or diminish them. Please try to help me identify what they are from. I used a nickel for size reference.

Thanks!

Picture022.jpg

IMG%5D

Picture020.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture018.jpg

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

:Picture: :Picture: :Picture: :Picture: :Picture:

Last edited:
Damn, I would say that just really bad paint, like thier were air bubbles and didn't wait long enough to spray the clear. A high peed might be able to level out most of them.

i have the same freakin crap. my guess is it just wasnt cared for previously( mines a 95 and i just bought it maybe 6 months ago) but i dunno what actually causes it

Possibly a repaint with poor surface prep and/or paint mixing prep or spraying technique. I don't think your going to be able to do much in the way of eliminating those pits.

It looks like hail damage! Don't know for sure.

not a repaint(atleast on mine) cause i know its factory paint still.... hail damage is possible but i would be skeptical honestly. i havent found any other more valid thoughts though

Whether it's factory or a repaint it's bad prep work. Doesn't look like it was sanded properly. It almost looks like it's body filler that has been painted.

Looks like fish eye in the paint from not putting fish eye killer in the paint prior to painting......

fish eye is contributed to silicone from wax, oils, and containments not removed because of lousy prepping before painting...putting a few drops of fish eye killer before hand would have helped prevent this.....obvisely this car may have been spot repaired and spot painted from a outside body-paint shop....

BILL said:
Looks like fish eye in the paint from not putting fish eye killer in the paint prior to painting......

fish eye is contributed to silicone from wax, oils, and containments not removed because of lousy prepping before painting...putting a few drops of fish eye killer before hand would have helped prevent this.....obvisely this car may have been spot repaired and spot painted from a outside body-paint shop....

I considered this to be the problem also other than the fact he seems pretty sure it's factory paint.

GearHead_1 said:
I considered this to be the problem also other than the fact he seems pretty sure it's factory paint.

Gearhead, I didn't say I believed it was factory paint:confused: I definitely think the hood has had a repaint, a poor one at that! What do you think it would cost me to have someone sand it down and repaint correctly? Thanks for your thoughts.

dengood1 said:
Gearhead, I didn't say I believed it was factory paint:confused: I definitely think the hood has had a repaint, a poor one at that! What do you think it would cost me to have someone sand it down and repaint correctly? Thanks for your thoughts.

Sorry about that, I read Kelso's post and attributed it to your original. My bad.

dengood1 said:

Not knowing the make and model.....whether its a single or two or 3 stages paint process........

Any good shop will not only sand it down but will remove whatever paint is on the hood and start from scratch......$350-$500 on the in-expensive side of a inexpensive car

$1000-$1500 on a benz or equivalent car........

No problem Gearhead, I realized what you were talking about after I read the posts again....I was confused man!! lol

Bill, $350-500 just for the hood?? WOW.....I'll live with the pits:-)

Thanks all!

Before spending the money to repaint, I'd wet sand it and polish it back up. It's likely to make the surface pretty much perfect BUT it's only a temporary fix as the environment will take its toll once again and you'll be right back to where you are now.

Back