sticky coating

Impressions

Reaction score
I've run across this problem on a couple of cars now, the coating on plastic switches and trim gets real gooey and sticky. I've tried a number of cleaner...all seem to make it worse. My customer with Ferrari F355 had the coatings removed at a cost of $10,000 to do all interior pieces. Sounds like alot of $, probably could have replaced all the pieces at that cost. The Catera I just did had excessive sticky on door panels and dash switches ie: headlight, window, lock, defrost...etc
Some parts will clean but I cant seem to get rid of sticky
anyone find something to minimize or remove this crap
last pic has been cleaned, marks that wont come out are real sticky and seem to just move around the sticky.......I'm sure others have come across this problem

how about diluted Optimum PowerWash and then Cockpit Premium to protect ???

in the pics the plastic surround and the door console lid are all the same sticky mess

mostly upholstery cleaners or APC, tried a petro based cleaner on switch toggle, seemed to work but it did affect the black color of the switch and took a lot of rubbing to get off
what causes this problem?

Goo gone will probably clean away the surface residue, but it won't cure the problem.

The underlying problem may be in the vinyl or plastic component. Ask the car manufacturer. They are most likely aware of the defects.

Were you ever able to resolve the stickiness? We just had a car detailed and whatever they used on the interior left several surfaces a sticky mess.

Were you ever able to resolve the stickiness? We just had a car detailed and whatever they used on the interior left several surfaces a sticky mess.

Bump? Does anyone else know how to remove sticky silicone-like residue left by a ham-handed detailer?

Thanks.

I left my computer mouse and my watch with a rubber strap inside my drawer for over a year, when I took them out... became sticky. maybe at one point the rubber melted

Personally I'd give mineral spirits a try and see if it dissolves the goo and residue then hit it with some Optimum Power Clean. Enamel reducer is another option and use it the same way you would mineral spirits....

You never noticed the areas being sticky before the detail?? Did the areas that are sticky look like the pics before the detail...or were they pretty clean??

You never noticed the areas being sticky before the detail?? Did the areas that are sticky look like the pics before the detail...or were they pretty clean??

They weren't sticky before the detail, but the car is a 2001 BMW convertible with only 30k miles (vacation car), and while it's been garaged and kept clean, this is it's first detail. Not all surfaces are sticky/shiny, just the door above the ashtray and the horn cover in the middle of the steering wheel.

I have Einzett Cockpit (mild) and OPC (strong) on order. Just hope they arrive before I head back to work and reality Saturday.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll post updates when I get the supplies. I also ordered 303 for the plastic trim parts when/if I get them back to like-new condition.

I only have my iPad, and can't figure out how to upload pics.

Well Cockpit just p***ed it off and spread around the sticky stuff. 10:1 OPC worked a bit better, 3:1 better still, removing the stickiness from the horn, but it tools several applications of full strength OPC with several microfiber towels and an upholstery brush to really remove it from the compartment door.

I think it's a coating of some sort (or was). Anybody know if BMW used a rubberized coating on interior surfaces? Regardless it's much better, and OPC is amazing stuff. It needs a bit more work, as the sticky stuff got spread to the trim and crevices, and I don't have a crevice tool with me, plus I'm enjoying my last day of sun before going back to rainy Portland.

Thanks for the help and guidance.

Back