Advice on DA Polishing Plastic Bumpers

mcpp66

Reaction score
I removed the swirls and other scratches from the metal components of my Camaro........now it's time to buff the plastic bumpers. Is there any last minute advice I should know before using a DA polisher on plastic? I know that the clear coat isn't as hard on plastic surfaces so I should keep the polisher moving. I plan on using white Lake Country foam pads with SwirlX and then will follow that up with 205. Any thoughts or advice before I begin these portions of my car? Thanks.

Not much else you can do, just treat it like paint.

The underlying plastic doesn't seem to dissipate heat as well as metal but with a DA style polisher this shouldn't be a problem.

:)

Okay, thank you for your thoughts sir!

Paint bunching up(or a wrinkle) on a bumper is still posible with a DA. Just make sure the bumper is cool(not in the sun). Here is a link to it happening. I know a couple others that have done it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-polishers/19207-burning-paint-pc-7424-a.html

A lot of factors cause it. Was the bumper repaired wrong, heat and etc. Sometimes on new car, they get damagesd on the way to the dealer. The fix it and don't have to tell you.

Heat with a DA style polisher will be the biggest problem if you're using small foam pads and buffing in one area too long before moving the polisher, so if you're using small pads like 4" pads just remember to keep the polisher moving.

A simple check is to place your hand on the paint where you're buffing for warm or hot temperatures. If when you touch the paint it feels warm but it's not uncomfortable then you're okay, if your Fight or Flight instincts take over and you jerk your hand away then you're getting the paint too hot.

Heat with a DA style polisher will be the biggest problem if you're using small foam pads and buffing in one area too long before moving the polisher, so if you're using small pads like 4" pads just remember to keep the polisher moving.

A simple check is to place your hand on the paint where you're buffing for warm or hot temperatures. If when you touch the paint it feels warm but it's not uncomfortable then you're okay, if your Fight or Flight instincts take over and you jerk your hand away then you're getting the paint too hot.

Once again, thank you for the advice!

Back