Samsung LED TV's

ScottB

Reaction score
Anyone out there own one of these sets ??? Honest thoughts and reviews appreciated especially those using in the real world ??? Is the product any better than the 40' LCD offering by Samsung (650 series)

Why does it seem like only Samsung and Toshiba are using the newer LED lighting technology in tv's ??

-----------

Factors --- decided to replace a 40' in the main room and place the 37' in sons room. Looking originally at the Samsung LN40B650 and being sold at most retailers for 1000.00 during this holiday weekend. However the ungraded LED unit UN40B6000 is just around 200.00 more with no tax and free shipping from several online retailers.

Vizio also has an LED tv. I would go LED myself. It uses much less power to operate and I think LED is going to gain in popularity for many applications. I recently was working for a small home theater company and everyone was in agreement that the LED Samsung was the best, and the owner really knows his products well...

Anyone out there own one of these sets ??? Honest thoughts and reviews appreciated especially those using in the real world ??? Is the product any better than the 40' LCD offering by Samsung (650 series)

Why does it seem like only Samsung and Toshiba are using the newer LED lighting technology in tv's ??

-----------

Factors --- decided to replace a 40' in the main room and place the 37' in sons room. Looking originally at the Samsung LN40B650 and being sold at most retailers for 1000.00 during this holiday weekend. However the ungraded LED unit UN40B6000 is just around 200.00 more with no tax and free shipping from several online retailers.

New technology + early adopter + unproven track record of quality. (Well???)
anyway - the 650 is supposed to have good reviews.
Personally, I've owned several Samsung products and I have not had much luck in their longevity, and I don't have any faith left in them anymore.
I recently bought a Toshiba 240hz. HDTV and am very happy with it.
Good luck in your quest...

I don't own one, but I have researched 120hz sets when I was shopping for HDTV. IMO all Samsung 120hz TVs lag. It's more noticeable in action scenes. I'm not sure about other brands.

The LED TVs are more energy efficient, better color reproduction, and the panel is thinner. However, it's 120hz and as I stated above it lags. If the lag doesn't bother you then LED is the way to go.

Btw, I own a Samsung 56in DLP. The times it was down Samsung was really good with their warranty. They sent out some one quickly to fix my TV and hasn't broken since (3+ years).

-----------

WOW A 37" FOR YOUR SONS ROOM. Can I call you DAD?

I have a 120hz 47" LCD and while the picture is great, at a angle it sucks. My next TV is going to be a plasma, panasonic or samsung 58"

I have the Samsung 40" LED and it is absolutely Phenomenal. Old movies look live on it. I had the 40" Sony XBR4 before it. The Samsung blows away the Sony. The Samsung will ruin you for watching anything else. LCD is yesterday technology.

Last edited:
This is a great place to search for reviews on most TV's:

AVS Forum

I'm looking at the Samsung LN46B650 and the Sony KDL-46W5100, LCD TV's. Haven't chosen yet. The Samsung gets good reviews, but not in the quality department. The Sony gets good reviews and is better know for a quality product. Lots of research needed if you want the best TV for the money.

Not much of an answer from me bt I can tell you that both of my Toshibas (47" DLP) and old 36" CRT run great and have never had a problem. Check cnet.com for reviews as well.

my son works for home theater co and said they sell more panasonics tvs than any other tvs

A buddy of mine has a pretty big Samsung LED. I watched TV on it for an hour or two and the quality was simply AWESOME. Lingerie football in HD made it even better!

my son works for home theater co and said they sell more panasonics tvs than any other tvs

I currently have the highest model Panasonic Viera in the family room (less than 5 months old) , but the picture on both the Samsungs have it beat. I was in three different stores this afternoon and at each store the LED set stands out against them all, it seems to have a glossier screen. Almost had the LED in the car. If only Brandsmart would have dropped another 50.00 as now its become a game to get the deal I want !

I am not happy to hear the service issues however as dont normally consider extended warranties.

WOW A 37" FOR YOUR SONS ROOM. Can I call you DAD?

How else is he going to teach me to Wii ??? Besides mommy says daddy and her are going to use the Balance Board option to get Wii Fit. (smiles, like thats gonna happen). I just wanna blow some **** up and it look cool in hi-def.

A buddy of mine has a pretty big Samsung LED. I watched TV on it for an hour or two and the quality was simply AWESOME. Lingerie football in HD made it even better!

Matt nice to see you back, again ! Please tell me that sig doesnt mean the Z06 is gone.

It is gone unfortunately. But I'm happy to have a newer car with only 10k miles on it... the Vette needed some work and had almost 80k on it! I never used all that power and had been wanting something more docile that I could drive daily for awhile now.

Here's what I don't understand. The current LED Samsung panels use exactly the same LCD panels only with LED peripheral back lighting. So...... where's the difference, other than the fact that LED's are a bit more efficient than the high freq. FL tubes and tend to last longer? Don't get me wrong, I think LED back lighting is the way to go, but fundamentally it's still an LCD panel and the only thing that has changed is the type of back lighting.

Now, Sony's organic LED panels are a different story, but I don't think they've been scaled up to the point where it's useful in a full size panel as far as I know.

Regards

Christian

they suggest, and I cannot confirm, that the blacks are blacker, whites whiter, and all colors more vivid. They certainly "seem" to offer a nicer picture while being more efficient.

Did not hear about Sony having an LED offering, as I understood only a few have starting using it in only the biggest of sets and Samsung brought it to the 40's. I am limited in space right now due to an entertainment center.

I am REALLY wanting OLED technology to progress and get cheap enough to have in full size TV's. I think that move is going to be amazing, as OLED has SUCH a nice view, and can be made super super thin.

Myself right now, have a 50" panasonic plasma and love it for the viewing angle. Have had it for about 2 years with no problems.

-----------

I just got one this black Friday sales, 55" for under $1700...haven't even hooked it up...I got the 6000 series...

Check consumer reports December issue (electronics issue) they generally have ratings on all types of TV,s

I recently got a 50 inch Samsung plasma and love it. (my first big TV) however since you play video games you will have to stay away from plasma's

I forgot to add. Check prices at BH Photo. They generally have really good deals.

I have three Samsung, LCD, Plasma, DLP... love them all but I have been looking at the Samsung LED and the picture is absolutely awesome! I just don't need another TV!

Back