Help removing polish from black trim

02nissanISR

Reaction score
Helping a friend clean up his car and was wondering what the best method is for removing polish from textured door trim.

Get some Wax Blaster or peanut butter will do.

Smoothe or crunchy lol just kidding. That was about the last thing i thaught someone would suggest. What is it about peanut butter that removes polish? And can you get wax blaster OTC I have pep boys, salvos, western auto

thanks for your help on this

Wurth Rubber Care. Believe it or not, this is what the product was originally designed for.

Smoothe or crunchy lol just kidding. That was about the last thing i thaught someone would suggest. What is it about peanut butter that removes polish?
The peanut oil helps breaks down wax or polish that has dried on plastic trim.

It works very well.

Peanut butter!........ it's cheap and I bet you already have some? :props:

I just bought the wax blaster and don't seem to have too much luck with it.:(
I think I will try PB. Who would have thought??

In my experience:
The peanut butter does not usually remove it.

What happens is that the peanut oil gets soaked up into the rubber, thus making it shiny for a while. As soon as the peanut oil wear's out, you're back to where you started.

Maybe others have had better success than me with it - and I could be using the wrong peanut butter or something.

With that said - a good APC and a pressure washer can go a long way on the wax removal.

rasch - I have been wanting to get my hands on some of the Wurth Rubber stuff, just haven't yet. Might need to pick some up now that I know that.

DLB

I had some good luck in removing polish from my windshield wiper cowl and the textured plastic on my running boards with what Asphalt Rocket recommended which was acetone. It took that milky white stuff of in a matter of seconds with no effort. I waited a couple of days and the white residue still hasn't reappeared. I then dressed those areas as well as my tires and all the rubber gaskets and any other vinyl or plastic trim with the FK tire coat that I won from AG a while back. Will let you know about the durability of the FK as time tells the story.

Thanks for the help guys Wurth looks good asetone too anyone tried mineral spirits? Happen to have some that's why I ask.

autogeek_2079_40702985
or
autogeek_2083_25340785

Try Klasse AIO. It took month old FK1000P residue off the textured plastic black trim around my side mirrors with ease.

Experimenting on the plastic fender flares on a Jeep today I found that on hard plastic - Mineral Spirits with a brush works great.

DLB

I have a brand new bottle of mineral spirits. It's like 98% mineral spirits, so almost pure. That is the proper type of mineral spirits to use on rubbers and as an IPA wipe-down replacement, right? It's the odorless mineral spirits though. I've heard that it isn't the right stuff. Not sure.

I have a brand new bottle of mineral spirits. It's like 98% mineral spirits, so almost pure. That is the proper type of mineral spirits to use on rubbers and as an IPA wipe-down replacement, right? It's the odorless mineral spirits though. I've heard that it isn't the right stuff. Not sure.
It should be fine to use.The reason for odorless is that people who do oil paintings use mineral spirits to clean or ruduce oil paints.Since they work close to the canvas that they are painting on the odorless product is used.It's more refined then non orderless .

Okay, it won't dull the clear when I put it on a car will it? I just don't want to damage the cars I'm doing. All of the other bottles say Paint Thinner (Based with Mineral Spirits) on them.

Thanks in advance.

Just to note...

When people use Peanut Butter and it works, it's not the peanut part of peanut butter it's the oil portion in the peanut butter.

It's the same basic idea behind using Vegetable Cooking Oil to dissolve Chewing Gum stuck in a kids hair to dissolve it and get it out or out of household carpet so you don't have to cut the gum out of the hair or the carpet.

:)

odorless mineral spirits
That's what I use on for wipedown's, wax removal on trim, etc. Haven't had any adverse effects to date. It doesn't dull the clear. Just like using IPA, you have to make sure you are wiping clean or it will streak.

DLB

Back