Residue under tape

calhoun1

Reaction score
Is there a good quick way to take care of the polish residue that gets left behind on the edges of where you tape a car?

I have been just been using Megs Last Touch and a MF towel to "scrub" it off. Just wondering if there is an easier way to remove it, or if there is a way to avoid it.

Thanks.

Hate that too. I use the IPA mix and getting ready to get some Mineral Spirits. Sometimes, if it's not around plastic and I'm trying my final step using a finishing pad, I'll take the tape off and let my pad get it when I'm finished with a section and plan to clean the pad before the next section. (I just make sure I'm comfortable with what I'm using won't do anything to what was taped.)

I'm still experimenting myself and anxious to see what others are doing as well.

Last edited:
I just hit it with my pad or IPA wipe depending on the section!

Spray with ID/IPA and wipe with MF like Cobra Indigo or a quick pass with a well lubed pad on the polisher.

I guess that's not "anything different" though.

Used to use IPA/Prepsol/Qds but nowadays, I tend to lean more on using an AIO with an mf. My logic, lesser chance of instilling newer swirls, etc. as those leftovers can sometimes be quite difficult to 'scrub' off even with IPA/Prepsol/Qds.

So what products would you recommend using with a pad to get that off?

WG DGPS?
85rd?

Which won't stain the trim?

I'm using DG 501 on paints but I'm not sure whether it'll stain plastic/rubber trims...for me it's either AG Bumper Care/Black WOW for those, clean and dresses at the same time.

What kind of tape are you guy's using that is so hard to remove the residue?

I believe they are talking about the white line at the edge of the tape; where the polish builds up.

I believe they are talking about the white line at the edge of the tape; where the polish builds up.

You are correct CTS. It isn't the tape leaving the residue, but rather the polish that gets caught under the edge and dries. Trying to find an easy way to remove it without introducing swirls.

Does DGPS stain trim? If not, I can use that step to remove the residue.

Back