PDA

View Full Version : Grit Guards in possibly too small of a bucket

aTeam
01-20-2010, 08:00 PM
This is my first post here so I guess it's appropriate to introduce myself.
My name is Bryan, I'm 18 and I live in NJ. I started detailing in the middle of last summer doing family cars and such, so I don't even have a year of experience yet. I've been careful to not try anything out of my league, and I've read all of the training tips and articles religiously. So anyway, I just have two simple questions.

1. For those of you who have grit guards how large in diameter is the bottom of it? Is it the same 10 1/8" as the top? My buckets are 9 1/2" at the very bottom.

2. I was also wondering if investing in a g110v2 (more specifically this (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-foam-pad-kit.html) kit) is a smart move at this point. I figured I could try it out and be extremely careful my first few times until I get the hang of it. I am confident that if I pay close attention to what I'm doing and stick to what I've learned I'll be okay. Once I get the hang of things I'll start doing occasional jobs for money, and I'll get good use out of the MEguiars #2 and #9 polishes I got for Christmas.

evilwrx
01-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi and :welcome:!

Just measured the bottom diameter of a grit guard and it is 10 1/8". It fits all standard 5 gallon buckets like this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/9a/9ae472bd-7aae-4dfd-ac2f-97c6448663e2_300.jpg.
or this one
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/051596/051596100551lg.jpg

The Megs g110v2 is a great starting point to take care of any car. There are lots of resources on here that can help you learn how to use it effectively. This one is one of the best:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-tips-techniques-using-porter-cable-7424xp.html

Good luck and have fun.

Lasthope05
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Grit guards dont work with Lowes buckets. They taper down to much towards the bottom. Grab the Homedepot buckets instead since they do work.

PAR Detailing
01-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Why dont lowes buckets work? I have one and it works perfect and fits perfect for me and I havent had any issues with it?

Lasthope05
01-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Why dont lowes buckets work? I have one and it works perfect and fits perfect for me and I havent had any issues with it?

Maybe their new buckets were remade but I remember the old ones never worked for me.

Wax Gorilla
01-20-2010, 09:53 PM
But the AG buckets they will always work and you won't have to figure out whether you have the old or new LOWES BUCKET !

PAR Detailing
01-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Maybe their new buckets were remade but I remember the old ones never worked for me.

Ahh ok that makes sense, the one I have now works great and for the price ($2.50) you cant beat it

aTeam
01-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Picking up new buckets is no big deal, if they don't fit I'll get new ones. Are grit guards supposed to sit on the bottom of the bucket or kinda wedge in a little before the bottom? I'm assuming sit on the bottom because of their shape.

Also about getting a DA, I read the whole article yesterday. It's really well written and as soon as I got a question in my head he answered it in the next sentence haha. The only difference between the PC and g110v2 is that meguiars added the cruise control or something (even though its a PC that is rebranded). I've already learned a lot from reading this site for a while (without registering) and watching youtube videos, some of which even had Mike Phillips in it. So it was all good. I guess I'll do it, and order the DA sometime this week.

TLMitchell
01-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Picking up new buckets is no big deal, if they don't fit I'll get new ones. Are grit guards supposed to sit on the bottom of the bucket or kinda wedge in a little before the bottom? I'm assuming sit on the bottom because of their shape.

Mine sit on the bottom. Drop by the bakery of a Wal Mart or Super K Mart and ask if they'll save you a couple of buckets that glaze comes in. 5 gallons with lids :props: They throw them away by the dozens.

TL

evilwrx
01-21-2010, 08:08 AM
free buckets, now that is a great tip!!

DLB
01-21-2010, 08:49 AM
FWIW - I use buckets that the Grit Guard wedges in toward the bottom. Makes it really nice when you want to clean the sponge/brush/whatever out without the GG spinning on you. Plus with it being low enough in the bucket, you still get the same effect - the dirt drops and the water doesn't go into a spin when you twist your sponge on top of it - the fins still work. Plus, you are farther away from the dirt when you do that.

The Meg's Polisher Kit will be fine to start out with.

DLB

Kris R
01-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Whatever you do....DO NOT use the pickle buckets that sub shops sell for 2-3 bucks. That pickle smell is burried DEEP in the plastic and your car soap will smell like (INSERT FRAGRANCE OF SOAP HERE) and pickles....barf!

I bought a bucket from the parts store that didnt taper right and my grit guard didnt work there either....

Home depot buckets rule.

08krewkab
01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
my Lowes bucket works perfect

turbos17
01-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Mine sit on the bottom. Drop by the bakery of a Wal Mart or Super K Mart and ask if they'll save you a couple of buckets that glaze comes in. 5 gallons with lids :props: They throw them away by the dozens.

TL

That is awesome to know! :dblthumb2: