PCXP vs Griots 6"

Kris R

360Detail.com
Reaction score
I've been reading thread after thread and going back and forth between the NEW PCXP and the Griots.

Im not too concerned about the waranty because we all know what an absolute pain it is to get anything fixed after 90 days.

So heres what I like about the Griots: I like the bail handle and I like the power rating. thats it.

I have an old PC so I know what Im getting. I love the new design to it. I have a rotary so Im not too concerned about forcing either machine to try and buff out a hard scratch. I have enough pad and polish variety to tackle anything.

So which one do I choose and why?

Thanks. :xyxthumbs:

I bought the PCXP but never had the opportunity to try the GG, Flex or new Meguires. In hindsight, between the PCXP and GG, it probably doesn't matter in the scheme of things.

While I'm not an expert, I think that you must chose pads and chemicals based on the DA/Polisher that you chose. More power means less aggressive abrasives and pads, however you remove the same amount of paint either way. You will probably use a 2-step process to remove swirls and polish so power may be moot. Power requirements may also be related to the paint that you are correcting, so you will need to learn what product to use with different paints. As my wife keeps telling me, don't get caught up in the minutia (I should listen to her more).

I need to pass to Mike Phillips or someone more experienced than me regarding how aggressive you need to go with the first step (pads and compound/polish) however I'm pretty happy with the PCXP with the hard clearcoat of an older BMW.

Good luck.

I had the same decision to make last month. I liked the GG for same reasons you stated. I had an older PC 7 years ago and didnt love the handle. I am using GG this weekend and have NO regrets! BTW I got the HD model from AG. Love the 30' heavy guage cord.I I bought a 5" and a 4" backplate and a wide variety of pads. Also got glass pads from Griots and Diamondite glass restore. kit. Worked well.

have the GG, and had a chance to play with a buddies 7424 (non-xp)

I like the GG better, handle is definatley better...and more power is always good.

you already mentioned it, but the lifetime warranty is what swayed me over.

I RARELY see people using a DA with a handle of ANY sort. I absolutely love the bailing handle on my rotary, but I wouldn't on my DA. The vibrations in a DA transfer to the handle and beat your forarm to death.

I would just say the PCXP because of the rock solid reputation PC has.

The lifetime warranty is stupid IMO on these machines. 99.99% of the time the ONLY thing that will need to be replaced is the brush within probably 10 years. Simple, easy 10 minute job.

I just went with the PCXP because of the bundled deals. I think if I had all the pads, products, etc. I would probably spring for the Flex because everyone is crazy for it.

I have just recently had to use my lifetime warranty on my Griot's DA and must say, it was absolutely painless.

I used my old one so much that I started getting play in the center bearing assembly allowing approximately 1/8 of an inch of "wobble" in the backing plate so I contacted Autogeek and got a replacement machine since they don't stock any parts of the Griot's machine. All I really needed to do is replace a C-clip ring that keeps the shaft from pulling out of the bearing assembly. I'm glad I went with the Griot's as I've owned it longer than a year now and the 1-year warranty with the PCXP wouldn't have helped me at all. Good luck. I'd choose the Griot's EASILY over the PCXP. I hate switching machines. I'd much rather switch pads.

I have just recently had to use my lifetime warranty on my Griot's DA and must say, it was absolutely painless.

I used my old one so much that I started getting play in the center bearing assembly allowing approximately 1/8 of an inch of "wobble" in the backing plate so I contacted Autogeek and got a replacement machine since they don't stock any parts of the Griot's machine. All I really needed to do is replace a C-clip ring that keeps the shaft from pulling out of the bearing assembly. I'm glad I went with the Griot's as I've owned it longer than a year now and the 1-year warranty with the PCXP wouldn't have helped me at all. Good luck. I'd choose the Griot's EASILY over the PCXP. I hate switching machines. I'd much rather switch pads.

Are you referring to the 1st generation Griot's DA? And you got it replaced with the new version?

Back