Rear view mirrors

A4 1.8tqm

Reaction score
A while ago I had a guy tell me the position of my side mirrors was dangerous. I angle my side mirrors all the way "out", my logic here is that the rear view mirror shows what is behind me so there is no reason for two more mirrors showing the same thing. With my mirrors angled out I am able to see the rear end of a car in the mirror and the front end in my peripheral vision at the same time essentially eliminating the "blind spot" in the lanes next to me. To me it is useless to see my own car and the lane behind me in the side mirrors.

Thoughts? Am I missing something? Feed back please

Exactly what I do also. It is also a recommendation they make in DD and EVAC classes.

I make sure I just about CAN'T see the side of my car when looking in my side view mirrors, for the same reasons you mentioned - to minimize blind spots (which are especially bad in the S2000).

I make sure I just about CAN'T see the side of my car when looking in my side view mirrors, for the same reasons you mentioned - to minimize blind spots (which are especially bad in the S2000).

I do similar to this. Out as far as possible while still seeing the side of the car. A4 1.8tqm, I think you aim them out to far. The thing is Motorcycles. You can easily miss one of these in the blind spot. And if you have the mirrors out all the way I do beleive you will have a blind spot.

Exactly what I do also. It is also a recommendation they make in DD and EVAC classes.

Good to know it's recommended. :xyxthumbs:

Glad others agree. What makes S2000's blind spots worse than others?

I do similar to this. Out as far as possible while still seeing the side of the car. A4 1.8tqm, I think you aim them out to far. The thing is Motorcycles. You can easily miss one of these in the blind spot. And if you have the mirrors out all the way I do believe you will have a blind spot.

Motorcycle's are one of the main reasons I do this, because the angle let's you see whats next to you, opposed to whats behind you (in the neighboring lane).

Good to know it's recommended. :xyxthumbs:

Motorcycle's are one of the main reasons I do this, because the angle let's you see whats next to you, opposed to whats behind you (in the neighboring lane).

Probably that an S200 is a cramped small little car. Most of the little cars I've been in are horrible with it. Chrysler Crossfire SRT 6 to just name one. Screaming metal deathtrap is what comes to mind. There is ZERO visibility front or rear in that thing.

I just do my mirrors liek the average joe I guess. I see a little bit of my car on both side mirrors and I angle my rear view to where I can't see any of my own face.

Sooo bad in the S2000. Especially with the top up...not so bad with the top down.
OP I do the same thing to eliminate my blind spots as well.

I went and did a little research on the internet, and it appears that you are doing it right. I may have to adjust my own mirrors now.

As others said, it's a small car and being a convertible, the rear window is not very large. With the top up, the blind spots suck...obviously when the top is down, they don't exist. :D

I've always adjusted my mirrors so I can barely see my door handle in the bottom right corner of the mirror.

Is that basically what the rest of you are saying?

I've always adjusted my mirrors so I can barely see my door handle in the bottom right corner of the mirror.

Is that basically what the rest of you are saying?

Doh! Looks like I had it wrong ... from Smartmotorist.com

"Simply adjust the side view mirrors just beyond the point where you could see the side of the car on the inside edge of the mirror. With this setup, you almost completely solve the blind spot problem. It takes a little while to get used to, but it is an improvement. Some quick tips: For the driver's side mirror: Place the side of your head against the window, then adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view. For the passenger's side mirror: While sitting in the driver's seat, lean to the right so that your head is in the car's centerline. Adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view."

Doh! Looks like I had it wrong ... from Smartmotorist.com

"Simply adjust the side view mirrors just beyond the point where you could see the side of the car on the inside edge of the mirror. With this setup, you almost completely solve the blind spot problem. It takes a little while to get used to, but it is an improvement. Some quick tips: For the driver's side mirror: Place the side of your head against the window, then adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view. For the passenger's side mirror: While sitting in the driver's seat, lean to the right so that your head is in the car's centerline. Adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view."

+1

The guy that told you that is an idiot...but you probably already knew that seeing the sideswipe mark down the side of his car...you know, the place he couldn't see the way his mirrors were adjusted!!

Yea, I adjust them till I'm right on the border of seeing my car edges, usually so I can't just see them.

Although....the mirrors on my car have a special convex bit on the very end which curves around on the last 1cm of the glass to eliminate the blind spot. Works very well and is straight from the factory, no ugly looking stick on mirrors here!

The best way to adjust them to minimize the blind spot is to adjust them on a flat surface at home using a wheelie trash can to imitate a motorcycle, then adjust them the best you can while trying to always be able to see the trashcan in at least one mirror no matter where you put it around your car. This will take some time but once you've got the mirror adjustment, either save it on your memory seats option or if you don't have that, remember the mirror locations with reference to the sides of the car etc.

Aren't the mirrors just aids?

From what I remember from Driver's Ed when I took it was this:

SMOG

Signal, Mirror, OVER THE SHOULDER, Go

So the best way to solve that blind spot is to turn your head and check. Yes the mirror needs to barely have the side of the car in it so you can eliminate most of the blind spot.

Also attentive driving tends to help, if you are constantly looking in your mirrors while you drive it is hard for someone to sneak up on you. As you see them come and realize someone is near you.

So while mirror position is important, attentive driving and using the over the shoulder look is just as important.

:goodpost: :iagree: In no way is the position intended to replace looking, I was just asking to see if anyone would say something to validate the "dangerous" comment I got... Didn't think so. Thanks for the reply's guy's. :props:

As far as blind spots go Sky has a huge one when the top is up! I use a car in the lane I want to get to as a marker. Then when I pass him I know there is no motorcycle there as long as I can see that marker when I get into the lane in front of it.

Aren't the mirrors just aids?

Signal, Mirror, OVER THE SHOULDER, Go

So the best way to solve that blind spot is to turn your head and check. Yes the mirror needs to barely have the side of the car in it so you can eliminate most of the blind spot.

:iagree:

Of course if you are going to change lanes, then you **MUST** look over your shoulder, but as far as the mirrors go, you need to know what's happening in the "bubble" around your car, so if any emergency action is required, you know which side you can swerve to and which side is empty/ free. If a motorcycle is hiding in your blindspot, then if you have to swerve suddenly and you don't know he's there, then that would be bad.

Of course as said above, using the mirrors to spot them coming up behind you is necessary as well.

Back