Clay holder......

YankeeFan

Reaction score
Getting ready for my Spring order and was wonder of the few different gadgets I see to hold clay has anyone found any one in particular that works well? Looking to catch more surface area with the than just doing it my hand.

Howard

I don't prefer to clay using a machine at all, if that's what you're referring to. I like to be able to feel the surface, so I know when the area I'm working on is clean.

Just my .02.

You mean something like the Polishin’ Pal clay disc?

I've never used one but I agree with Matt, I like being able to feel the paint through the clay. If you do get one of these gadgets your referring to be sure to give us a full review! :xyxthumbs:

:iagree::iagree:
When I saw the subject I wanted to pipe up but after clicking on it I see Matt and A4 1.8tqm have said exactly what I wanted to say. Definetly like being able to "feel" the contaminates or lack there of. Then I know when it's time to keep moving.

I have the Griots clay holder (machine clayer). Tried it once and absolutely hated it. If you lived near me I'd just give it to you. You might even find out on my curb someday when I am cleaning out my detailing bins.

Clay Holder

Hand clay all the way for me.

I don't prefer to clay using a machine at all, if that's what you're referring to. I like to be able to feel the surface, so I know when the area I'm working on is clean.

Just my .02.

But Matt with an answer like that how are you ever going to get your cookie??? (As K would insinuate):D Sorry I couldn't resist...

wow I looked at the machine driven clay applicator and that thing would scare me.You guys are right using it by hand is the best way to go

I haven't used one but I had thought about it and what I keep thinking is that if It (the clay) would pick up something harder than the paint itself, that would be one nasty pigtail of a scratch to clean up. It sounds like an as seen on TV gimmick to me. Just my 2 cents.

I had it, ended up giving it away, total waste :(

The clay becomes a permanent part of the pad, you need 2 bars to fill up the cavity, and the clay just ends up smearing or flattening too much to make contact with the paint, all the while this hard foam is rubbing the surface...

I prob should have elaborated more. The things I hated about it were mentioned after I posted. Mostly that it rubbed and kinda stuck to the paint. They advertise it as though the foam pad holds more clay lube and therefore makes it glide smoothly. I did not find that to be the case. Although I quit very quickly after I felt the way it stuck to the paint while in motion.

IT does also take a lot of clay to fill it. Kinda hard to get in and out of the holder. So turning and kneading the clay would be a hassle. I turn and knead the clay frequently (and If you don't, you should). You dont want to keep rubbing the grit you are picking up back on the paint.

I am a huge Griots fan. Have been a customer of theirs for a good 7 or 8 years. In fact, they got me started with machine polishing back then. At that time they sold the PC7424. This clay holder is one of the few products of theirs that I have been disappointed in. Their service is also top notch. I'd be willing to bet they would take it back if I called them and complained. And I have had it 3 or 4 years. I just never have because it isn't a flaw in the product. I just don't like it.

Last edited:
I LOVE the polishing pal with clay holder. I can still feel the contaminants and get much better coverage with a larger surface area of clay with even pressure.

Back