PDA

View Full Version : Paint Cleaner Still Needed with D151?

The Critic
03-01-2010, 06:15 AM
My mom has a Nissan Altima with the Winter Frost Pearl Paint (white color).

Someone told me that it is necessary to use a "paint cleaner" type product as white paints tend to lose their "whiteness" over time due to contamination.

If I clay the car, then polish it on a G110v2 with the new Meguiar's D151 AIO (which actually has decent cut), do I still need to use a paint cleanser product after claying? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

PAR Detailing
03-01-2010, 07:17 AM
That really depends on the condition of the paint. If it is really bad then yes you will need a compound to remove the oxidized paint first and the D151 will be a nice last step. I use D151 alot and it is a great AIO with some good cut but it definitely isnt up there with the compounds.
Your best friends is going to be a test spot. Do the D151 and see how it looks after. If it looks good then do the whole car but if it still looks oxidized then you should use a compound first then polish it with D151.
Hope that helped
Jon

Mike Phillips
03-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Someone told me that it is necessary to use a "paint cleaner" type product as white paints tend to lose their "whiteness" over time due to contamination.

Actually, all colors lose their brightness if they are daily drivers exposed to the outdoor elements and the paint becomes stained and clouded with the accumulation of dirt and road grime on and in the paint. I have an article about this called "The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us"

If I clay the car, then polish it on a G110v2 with the new Meguiar's D151 AIO (which actually has decent cut), do I still need to use a paint cleanser product after claying? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

The answer to your question is "no"

You either use a dedicated paint cleaner OR a cleaner/wax, not both. If you use the D151 that is your paint cleaner and at the same time it's your polish and wax.

:)

Emile
03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
The D151 will polish and seal the paint, so in this case, no paint cleaner needed.

If you do opt to use a paint cleaner after polishing with D151, it will just clean up the sealant D151 leaves behind and will prime/prep the paint for a non-cleaning sealant or wax.