PDA

View Full Version : In Need Of a M105 Replacement

Pages : [1] 2

Dubbin1
03-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Whats out there that's a good replacement for M105 that doesn't dust as much?

Z06-Goose
03-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Meguiars "Ultimate Compound" hands down!
It doesn't dust at all, has a looong working time, and does a great job removing scratches and deep swirls.
It's only $9.99.
I'm impressed with it. Great product for sure!

VR8
03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
I've found if I add a few drops of #205 to the pad every second section, the #105 doesn't dust as much ... but it still dusts some.

termigator
03-24-2010, 08:47 PM
I haven't noticed any dusting when I used M105, but I find Ultimate Compound to be a great inexpensive substitute to M105. As a matter of fact, I've hardly used M105 because UC has been more than adequate for my paint corrections. The fact that it costs half as much and is readily available OTC doesn't hurt either:xyxthumbs:.

termigator
03-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Meguiars "Ultimate Compound" hands down!
It doesn't dust at all, has a looong working time, and does a great job removing scratches and deep swirls.
It's only $9.99.
I'm impressed with it. Great product for sure!

Where do you live? $9.99 seems kind of pricey for UC. I can pick up UC at the local Walmart for $7+change.

Dubbin1
03-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I haven't noticed any dusting when I used M105

Really? I get massive amounts of dust every time I use it :confused:

Dubbin1
03-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Where do you live? $9.99 seems kind of pricey for UC. I can pick up UC at the local Walmart for $7+change.

Its 9.99 from AG

Z06-Goose
03-24-2010, 09:55 PM
In Colorado.
Actually, I paid around 8 bucks and change at Autozone. The $9.99 price was to refer to autogeek's price in case he wanted to order from them...

Z06-Goose
03-24-2010, 09:59 PM
The M105 can dust and will dust if you work it 'til dry.
I usually try to keep it moist while working with it. I give it a little spritz if my pad still has product on it that I can "revive" and reuse as I go
It will dry up on your pad, so you'd need to brush your pad off every so often while working with it.
The M105 cuts fast and you can control the dusting issue by using some techniques like I've mentioned above...

Z06-Goose
03-24-2010, 10:01 PM
I haven't noticed any dusting when I used M105, but I find Ultimate Compound to be a great inexpensive substitute to M105. As a matter of fact, I've hardly used M105 because UC has been more than adequate for my paint corrections. The fact that it costs half as much and is readily available OTC doesn't hurt either:xyxthumbs:.Very good indeed.
I was floored by the results I've got. I've gone thru a bottle in two weeks.
Time to restock! :xyxthumbs:

termigator
03-24-2010, 10:12 PM
I guess I haven't had the dusting issue because I haven't had to work the product that long. I haven't had any deep swirling issues with my cars or my immediate family's cars, which I take care of. I've used M105 and UC after some wetsanding, but I'm only spot polishing.

C. Charles Hahn
03-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Really? I get massive amounts of dust every time I use it :confused:

What I personally have found is that M105 dusts if you get too much heat going, but it doesn't dust if you give it a little less heat. Maybe try running your buffer at a slightly lower speed or make sure you work in as shaded an area as possible to help keep the heat down and it may help.

Troy@Protekt
03-24-2010, 10:36 PM
What I personally have found is that M105 dusts if you get too much heat going, but it doesn't dust if you give it a little less heat. Maybe try running your buffer at a slightly lower speed or make sure you work in as shaded an area as possible to help keep the heat down and it may help.

I agree. Slower buffing speed and in shade is probably going to fix your dusting issue. Adding a little 205 or even Ultimate Compound does help as well with dusting as mentioned.

You will definitely get faster cutting with the 105 but if speed isn't an issue the Ultimate Compound is the way to go for ease of use.

I'm sold on the SMAT products. I still like finishing with diminishing abrasives on some finishes but very thankful to have the 105 and Ultimate Compound in my arsenol.

Dubbin1
03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Heat isn't an issue here, I have a garage, its cool out and I can't set the PC any lower or it will stop spinning.

I'll give it a drop or two of 205 and see how it works. If that doesn't work then I'll give the UC a shot.

kronos
03-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Heat isn't an issue here, I have a garage, its cool out and I can't set the PC any lower or it will stop spinning.

I'll give it a drop or two of 205 and see how it works. If that doesn't work then I'll give the UC a shot.

What size pads are you using? PC's work best with 5.5" or smaller pads.