PDA

View Full Version : Car wash stripped wax?

Emm
04-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Last week I polished, and put 2 coats of Pinnacle Liquid Souverän Wax on my new 2008 red dodge ram 1500. It looked great, been through a few rain storms, water beaded beautifuly. Well today i ran it through the car wash (it is supposed to be the best one around here) and when I got home to QD it and go over everything. The paint feels like there is no wax on it! The doors are full of swirls! Could one carwash take off 2 coats of wax and cause swirls?

I am so pissed, I will not be going back to that car wash!

ObsessiveAutoDetail
04-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Most automated car wash chemicals are very alkaline. That will indeed remove wax. As far as adding swirls... Oh yeah. Live & learn.

DARK HORSE
04-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Yes, it definitely could and most likely did!!!

Emm
04-09-2010, 08:27 PM
I used to go to this place, I can't always hand wash my truck, and it wasn't that bad. They closed for remodeling, and I wonder if they changed thier soap?

Will any type of sealant hold up to this?

JonM
04-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Prolly not, and even if a sealant does it would be questionable how much protection you're getting out of it. Honestly, if you can't always hand wash your car find a detailer close by that can or just put it off until you have time. Car washes are terrible, just think about some of the cars that go through there...do you really want those brushes slapping your paint after the dude in front of you went mudding?

Emm
04-09-2010, 08:57 PM
What about those touchless carwashes? Same thing

I am so pissed, I spent a good 8 hrs. on it. Just got it 3 weeks ago!

loudog2
04-09-2010, 09:02 PM
What about those touchless carwashes? Same thing

I am so pissed, I spent a good 8 hrs. on it. Just got it 3 weeks ago!
Those use strong cleaners also. But, at least after a touchless, all you have to do is re-wax and not re-polish.:xyxthumbs:

DejaVu
04-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I took my car through a car wash and it melted the nice red paint on my brake calipers. Now they look like someone used nail polish to touch them up, I'll never do that again.

Kurt_s
04-10-2010, 12:31 AM
EMM,
I feel your pain. Used an airport detailer to hand wash and wax and the paint looked like someone used sandpaper. I had to buy a PCXP and chemicals to correct. That's how I came to this site.

This weekend, I tried ONR for the first time. It still took me about 45 minutes but 3 gallons of water, ONR and 4 MFs (2 paint and 2 wheels) and the car looked terrific. I really like this product.

I think that I will use ONR when the car has light soil and a full wash before clay, polish and wax or if the car is really dirty. It may be an alternative for you as it would take me the same time to drive to the local hand wash and wait for them to finish cleaning the car. Results are better too!