Tackling fine swirls on blue bmw... Please help

moose127

Reaction score
I am going to try to correct some spider webbing and fine swirls on my 2006 interlagos blue M3. I just purchased a Porter Cable with different Lake County Pads. My original plan is to wash, clay, then XMT #1, alcohol wash, followed with XMT 360, then maybe Nattys Black Hole, and finally XMT 180. I have most of the different CCS pads for the PC. What Pads should I use for the #1 and 360? I also have XMT #2 and should I switch to that if still seeing swirls after using #1? Should I skip the Black Hole? Should I apply the black hole and 180 with pads or by hand? Any suggestions would be great.

Feed back please

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Regardless of which products you end up using the first thing you want to do is a Test Spot to one small section and dial in a process that makes the paint look GREAT!

Then once you dial in a process that will remove the swirls and restore the finish to better than new condition to one small area all you have to do after that is repeat that process over the rest of the car.

:)

I also have XMT #2 and should I switch to that if still seeing swirls after using #1? Should I skip the Black Hole? Should I apply the black hole and 180 with pads or by

The XMT #1 is pretty light for a swirl mark remover but the idea is to always,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

You won't know what the least aggressive product is until you go out into your garage and do some testing. I alway recommend to people to apply a single strip of painter's tape onto a hood or trunk lid and then just work on one side of the tape line as you're doing your test spot and trying to find a process that works to remove the swirls on your car's paint. This will give you a very distinct snapshot of your progress.

Get some painter's tape and lay down a tape line like this,

TapeLine02.jpg

Make sure the paint is washed or wiped clean so there's no loose surface dirt on the paint. Then buff on only one side of the tape line using the technique shared in this video,

How to do a Section Pass using a Dual Action Polisher - Key to Removing Swirls

The above is just part of doing the entire process which you can watch here,

How to Remove Swirls and Scratches using the Porter Cable 7424XP

Test the XMT #1 with a white polishing pad on the 5.0 to 6.0 Speed setting and then inspect your results, if it's not removing the swirls and scratches fast enough or to your satisfaction then try the XMT #2 and so on.

You can also substitute a more aggressive pad like the light orange cutting pad.

If you find you have to use more aggressive products to remove the swirls then you'll have to re-polish the car using a less aggressive pad and polish to maximize clarity and gloss and then you can seal the paint.

After polishing you can apply the XMT 360 and then top with the XMT 180

:)

Back