New white Mercedes

jcash60

Reaction score
Hi yep I`m new here. I have a almost new Mercedes [color white, 3000mi.] Paint is in perfect condition [no swirls, no scratches no marks] From reading I found out the clearcoat is "scratch resistant" question: I`m looking to bring the paint up to as glossy as it can be, would your suggestion be polish then wax or sealant? whos products do you like? I have a P.C. 7424XP and lake C. blue, black pads.

I hate to remove any paint but I know a small amount must go. Is there a ultra fine polish good for the scratch resistant clear coats? Thanks Jim

Hi yep I`m new here. I have a almost new Mercedes [color white, 3000mi.] Paint is in
I`m looking to bring the paint up to as glossy as it can be, would your suggestion be polish then wax or sealant? whos products do you like?

I have a P.C. 7424XP and lake C. blue, black pads.

I hate to remove any paint but I know a small amount must go. Is there a ultra fine polish good for the scratch resistant clear coats?

Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,

Since this is your first post, welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

If there are no swirls and scratches at this point and the paint looks great, how does it feel?

After you wash and dry the paint, feel the paint with your clan hand, if you place a sandwich baggie over your hand the plastic film will increase your sensitivity enabling you to feel any bonded contaminants that you might otherwise not feel.

It could be you might be able to just apply a quality wax or sealant if your paint doesn't need polishing.

Polishing will insure that the surface is absolutely smooth and clean and if you want to maximize gloss then that would be a good step to go ahead and do with your Porter Cable.

Do you have any light polishes already?

Also, if you've never seen what's loosely called the "Baggie Test", you can see it in this video...

How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

:)

If you don't have a light polish yet then check out this product...

Menzerna PO85RD

Besides being developed for scratch-resistant paints, it's very popular as final finishing polish for any paint...

Check out Tad's recent show car finish on his Mustang here,

85RD meets the Dark Pony

:xyxthumbs:

Hi Jim,

Since this is your first post, welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

If there are no swirls and scratches at this point and the paint looks great, how does it feel?

After you wash and dry the paint, feel the paint with your clan hand, if you place a sandwich baggie over your hand the plastic film will increase your sensitivity enabling you to feel any bonded contaminants that you might otherwise not feel.

It could be you might be able to just apply a quality wax or sealant if your paint doesn't need polishing.

Polishing will insure that the surface is absolutely smooth and clean and if you want to maximize gloss then that would be a good step to go ahead and do with your Porter Cable.

Do you have any light polishes already?

Also, if you've never seen what's loosely called the "Baggie Test", you can see it in this video...

How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

Hi Mike, First: I purchased your video [ Meguairs 1960 Corvette] when I purchsed the 7424XP and it was very good and I learned many things, great for anyone looking to improve their paint.

My cars white paint is very good but I want to make it its glossiest best. I have never polished a car only used seslants and waxes. All my cars [and there have been many] paints have been well cared for and never needed correction. I have used Meguiars products [ ie. #26, #21, #7 and Tec 2.0 among others] for many years and always liked them but would change if there was something better.

My Mercedes has some orange peel like all my other White Mercedes I`ve had, I`m not going to deal with that, since I understand that sanding would be the only remedy and thats better left to the professionals but I still want to bring the paint up to its glossiest without sanding.

I`ve done the baggy test and the paint is smooth, no snags. I have not purchased a polish yet but have read some about Meguiars #205 and Menzurnas I think it was a utlra fine polish. Whats your choice for a fine polish with the latest tech [if there is any] and would my Lake Country blue and black pads work? Or would a sealant work better to bring the gloss up. Thanks Jim

If you don't have a light polish yet then check out this product...

Menzerna PO85RD

Besides being developed for scratch-resistant paints, it's very popular as final finishing polish for any paint...

Check out Tad's recent show car finish on his Mustang here,

85RD meets the Dark Pony

:xyxthumbs:

Ah Ha! Looks like you`ve answered my questions "before I asked them, a sign of a man that really knows!

Would my LC. blue or black pads work good for the Menzurna polish or do you have a better choice. Thanks Jim

Hi Mike, First: I purchased your video [ Meguiars 1960 Corvette] when I purchased the 7424XP and it was very good and I learned many things, great for anyone looking to improve their paint.

Hard to believe how many people I meet that purchased that video... glad you like it, it did have a lot of "details" in it for how to go about buffing out an entire car from start to finish. Hard to believe we shot that without a script or even an outline, Richard just turned the camera on and we went to work on Steve's Vette.

Would my LC. blue or black pads work good for the Menzerna polish or do you have a better choice. Thanks Jim

Either of those will work fine and the paint will look great!

I have a couple of all white cars coming up, one is a Toyota and the other is a 1977 Corvette, all original.

Back