Having Some Doubts About ONR

The Critic

Reaction score
I have a gallon of the new formula ONR.

Used it to wash my Saturn at a ratio of approximately 1 oz per gallon.

The shine was phenomenal, but the product did not seem to remove dried bug residues that well or heavy dirt very well. If I had to rub harder to remove dried bugs or dirt on say, soft Honda paint, I have a feeling that it would result in serious swirls.

Also, lubricity seemed to be pretty low at the car wash (1oz/gallon) strength. As a reference point, I am comparing it to Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss at a 1 oz per 2 gallons strength.

I just finished mixing up a 16 oz sprayer of ONR Quick Detailer strength-- about 1.5 oz for 16 oz of water, and the lubricity doesn't seem much better. How is it supposed to be safe for use as a clay bar lubricant?

I guess my main concern is the apparent lack of lubricity with ONR, even at the highest recommended strength. Don't get me wrong, the shine was great when I used it as a car wash solution, but something just doesn't seem right.

Am I concerned over nothing? Or is the lack of lubricity really a problem with ONR?

Thanks.

The shine was phenomenal, but the product did not seem to remove dried bug residues that well or heavy dirt very well.

I swear I just saw this same question posted someplace else???

Rinsless washes are really not made for heavy dirt and dried up bugs.

Rinseless washes can the take down anything you throw at them besides heavy accumulated dirt like caked on mud. It is all in the technique on how you use it.

Also even a wash regular car shampoo will have a hard time removing dried up bug guts. Removing them is an entirely different process. They need to be soaked and softened up first.

Also rinseless products like ONR and DG RWG are not equal to traditional shampoos in terms of lubricity as rinseless products rely mostly upon water softeners and polymers than encapsulate dirt and bond to the paint. The lubricating ingredients(polymers, silicones and oils) in traditional shampoos while are extremely slick leave a film barrier on the paint which needs to be rinsed off.

You just have to trust in rinseless products like ONR. You won't necessarily feel the lubrication there but it is and the polymers in it are doing its job, otherwise your car would be swirled.

Using a rinseless wash is just one option to getting your car clean, you can always use the traditional approach of using a free flowing source of water to wash your car.

One option for how to remove dried Bug-Splatter

While it's always best to remove bug splatter as soon as possible so the acids in their little guts don't etch into the paint, for those times when you can't get to it right away and the bug splatter dries like epoxy glue onto your car's paint then here's a tip to help loosen the dried bug spatter.

The idea is to to soften or re-liquefy the dried bug guts and thus make it easier to wash them off without having to scrub the paint.

Take a wash rag and saturate it with water or your car wash solution.

2WetWashRag.jpg

Place the wet wash rag on top of the dried bug splatter and allow it to sit for a few minutes. A variation of this would be to use warm/hot water.

2WetWashRag2.jpg

To speed up the process, apply some gentle pressure while drinking a cold soft drink and if need be, hum or whistle a little diddy.

2WetWashRag3.jpg

A variation of the above but for a larger area would be to use a larger cloth such as a bath towel. Saturate a clean, soft 100% cotton towel with water and place it over the affected area.

2WetTowel1.jpg

2WetTowel2.jpg

Allow the wet towel to sit for a short period of time and then remove the towel and wash as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

This product has worked for me without fail, simple and easy.......

Poorboy’s World Bug Squash 32 oz. Refill

Love that Bug Squash. Just spray some on. Let it dwell. Then clean it off with a bug sponge. Lovebugs never had a chance. Thooouuugh I'm fairly certain this stuff removes wax/sealants. Can't see how it wouldn't. If it's strong enough to eat through dried up bug guts it must be strong enough to remove wax off paint.

Last edited:
Love that Bug Squash. Just spray some on. Let it dwell. Then clean it off with a bug sponge. Lovebugs never had a chance. Thooouuugh I'm fairly certain this stuff removes wax/sealants. Can't see how it wouldn't. If it's strong enough to eat through dried up bug guts it must be strong enough to remove wax off paint.

PB says it will not remove your protection if you use it as directed.

Back