PDA

View Full Version : How to remove this?

werdz
05-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Hello guys,

I was wondering if you guys had any tips if these scratches are repairable? Any products I can use? I tried wet sanding the area but it started to eat the clearcoat and it looked horrible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

rohnramirez
05-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Firstly, what caused the scratches? Doesn't actually look like a scratch, looks more like an incorrectly done paint job.

Wetsanding will really make it look horrible because you are instilling marks by attempting to level the paint. When dealing with a deep scratch, you do not want to just sand the scratch itself, you would want to sand the area surrounding the scratch to create an even appearance. On the other hand, when dealing with a high area, such as it seems on the pictures, you will want to directly sand that portion and when leveled with the surrounding area, switch to a higher grit and sand the scratch as well as the surrounding area.

Sanding will remove clearcoat, you should not see any other color but a white residue. Sanding will create a cloudy look, you will need a compound to remove the sandmarks on a wool pad. It sounds easy, but it's actually not, especially if you're working on OEM paint. You have to establish the cause of the damage, how much clear you'll be working on and how much risk you're willing to take. There are just certain damages, that you're left with only a respray as an option.

rohnramirez
05-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Oh yah, since this is your first post! Welcome to AGO!

Showroom Shine
05-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Firstly, what caused the scratches? Doesn't actually look like a scratch, looks more like an incorrectly done paint job.

Wetsanding will really make it look horrible because you are instilling marks by attempting to level the paint. When dealing with a deep scratch, you do not want to just sand the scratch itself, you would want to sand the area surrounding the scratch to create an even appearance. On the other hand, when dealing with a high area, such as it seems on the pictures, you will want to directly sand that portion and when leveled with the surrounding area, switch to a higher grit and sand the scratch as well as the surrounding area.

Sanding will remove clearcoat, you should not see any other color but a white residue. Sanding will create a cloudy look, you will need a compound to remove the sandmarks on a wool pad. It sounds easy, but it's actually not, especially if you're working on OEM paint. You have to establish the cause of the damage, how much clear you'll be working on and how much risk you're willing to take. There are just certain damages, that you're left with only a respray as an option.
:iagree: It does look like someone did a poor job of trying to repair those scratches!

werdz
05-13-2010, 09:22 AM
The scratches were done with a key. Somebody just scratched it overnight at my apartment complex. I tried repainting it with the honda touch up paint, but instead of using the "ball point", I used the brush? <-- rookie mistake :o .. Now Iam trying to see what is the best way to "fix it". What do you guys think its the best way to attack this? As I mentioned in my first post, I tried to wetsand it but I was afraid since I saw "white material" being removed.... I was wondering if there is a safer way of removing the "excess paint"? .. Thanks for all the help!:xyxthumbs:

werdz
05-13-2010, 09:24 AM
rohn, i read your post again.. i was using 2000 grit sand paper to start... is that good? or too low.. <-- started to see white stuff coming out. what do I do after wet sanding? I have some UC and Swirl X, Wolfgang Wax

richy
05-13-2010, 10:31 AM
You did the right thing in trying to fill in the scratch with touch up paint. It's your method that will need improving. You want to use a very small amount of paint and do multiple applications rather than one big blob of an appliction trying to fill that narrow ridge. Obviously you will need to smooth out the paint you've applied on either side of the scratch..no problem, don't worry about that. First, make sure you have actually got the paint ALL the way into the scratch to fill it in the first place. #1: Get yourself a very small bristled brush to fit into the crevice of the scratch. Apply (again) a very small amount of paint and allow it to dry/harden for a day or two. (Before doing that, take some rubbing alcohol and clean the area and allow it to dry) Repeat this procedure until the crevice is filled. Now you are ready to level the area using wet sanding. 2500 will probably do. Just try to do the area needing leveling and do not go too wide as you don't know the thickness of the paint in that area...you are jsut trying to get rid of the excess you put there. It will change to a cloudy appearance. Use some Megs 105 by hand if you don't have any tools and follow it up with some 205 by hand. (It may take some elbow grease on your part). That should get it as good as it can be given the circumstances. Solid colours such as white, black, yellow and red will always fill in better than metallics will, due to the flake. Bottom line is it will look a ton better and save you shooting the panel.

werdz
05-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Richy, thank you so much for the tip.. I have Megs's UC.. Iam not able to find Megs 105 and 205 on the autogeek site..

Dubbin1
05-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Richy, thank you so much for the tip.. I have Megs's UC.. Iam not able to find Megs 105 and 205 on the autogeek site..

Since you have UC then forget about the M105.

Heres the link to M205

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 8oz (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html)

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 32oz
(http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-finishing-polish.html)

werdz
05-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Perfect ,, well I ordered 105 and 205 just to be safe Im the MAN , Now I have all of the following products..

Megs UC, Megs 105, Megs 205, Megs Swirl X remover, Meguiars Clear-Coat Safe Rubbing Compound, Meguiars Clear-Coat Safe Polishing Compound, CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators Trio,Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel,Meguiars Unigrit Sand Paper... I guess I went overkill.. Im the MAN

werdz
05-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Here are some higher resolution pictures of the problem. Anybody else have any input ?

http://imgur.com/u8KHf.jpg

The suspect car ^^^^^^^^

http://imgur.com/NcXjG.jpg

http://imgur.com/grlYV.jpg

http://imgur.com/YMv7n.jpg

http://imgur.com/8F3Be.jpg
^^^^^ a failed attempt at sanding it down,, is it normal for it to turn white like that? How can I remove this?

http://imgur.com/kVbCe.jpg

Dubbin1
05-13-2010, 05:45 PM
You are going to have to wet sand it to get it even with the rest of the paint and yes it is normal for it to turn white like that when sanding. You will need to polish out the scratches left over from sanding.

rohnramirez
05-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Yes that is normal, the white color you're seeing is your clearcoat drying in the space of the scratch.

I agree with what richy has said.

I just have a few questions so i can give you the best answer:
1. Did you sand it prior to adding ANY paint? You need to for proper paint adhesion. You can use 1000-2000grit.

2. Did you grab the color code of your paint? The touchup paint you have does not look the same. Do not skip adding clear or you will never see a uniform appearance even with the same color code of paint.

3. How deep and wide is the scratch? That scratch looks even too long for you not to use a body filler (body filler will make things way easier). If you do not have access to a body filler, you can keep on adding paint every after 30minutes until you have filled the scratch (flash time is long because you are not using a spray gun). You have to add the paint ABOVE the level of the surrounding area because you will never achieve a smooth finish with a brush, hence you will sand it until leveled, before applying your clear.

If you have a body filler, sand the area with 600 first, add the filler until flat. Sand with 600 again lightly until you do not feel any hump or uneven area when you run your fingers through the scratches. Apply your paint thinly, very very thinly. About 3-4 times. Next day, you will sand using 2000grit until the paint is flat, apply your clear, about 5-6 times. Then the next day, sand again using 2000grit to remove the uneven appearance of the clear and the orange peel as well. move up to 2500, then you need a heavy cutting compound. The reason why i am asking you to sand the base too is because you are applying it with a brush, this is called "double finishing." If you were to apply it with a spray gun, your flash time will be reduced, no need to sand the base, and you can finish painting including the clear in 30mins tops. If you can get your color in an aerosol can, that would be a better and easier option.

My apologies for saying it was an incorrectly done paint job on my first post. Thought you had paid someone to do it. :)

Just PM me if you need further assistance. I would be glad to lend a hand.

werdz
05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
What is a good clear coat for a dark color such as mines? (Nighthawk Black Pearl). I am using the touch up paint from Honda. I thought it already included the clear?