PDA

View Full Version : first time polisher

triple threat
05-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Hey guys just wondering if i am in the right ball park with this polishing thing i got a cir polisher and 8 in black 3m pad, my car is black honda civic paint is in very good cond i was just wanting to get a really good shine so i was thinking of using meguiars mirror glaze #3 any thoughts would be great.

rohnramirez
05-27-2010, 09:24 PM
:welcome: to AGO.

What products do you currently have and planning to use? Clay, compound, polish, wax and sealant? Let's wait for the experts to dive in with their knowledge.

Apokiliptik1
05-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Glaze will make it shine some but if its black and never been properly polished before then your best bet is to do the whole nine like rohnramirez said.You can make it shine without get the imperfections out but why spend the time making a terd shine? lol just kidding do it right and you won't be dissapointed

triple threat
05-28-2010, 07:44 AM
What do you supose i do then ? any help would be great i was planing on claying and waxing .

Mike Phillips
05-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Hey guys just wondering if i am in the right ball park with this polishing thing i got a cir polisher and 8 in black 3m pad, my car is black Honda civic paint is in very good cond i was just wanting to get a really good shine so i was thinking of using Meguiars mirror glaze #3 any thoughts would be great.

#3 Machine Glaze is a non-abrasive pure polish, it came out in the 1920's or 1930's and was originally for machine buffing single stage paints. It's also very popular for machine polishing molds used to build things like boats and then for polishing boats after they come out of the mold.

A lot of guys in the body shop industry like it for machine buffing a new paint job 'after' sanding and compounding.

It's non-abrasive so it won't remove defects. The pad you use with it can offer some cutting ability and often times people will mistake this cutting action for something inside the #3 but M03 Machine Glaze is non-abrasive.

If you want to use a rotary buffer on a black car to create a swirl free finish you'll need to practice a little bit as most people will end up with some swirls.

You can use the #3 Machine Glaze with your foam pad and rotary buffer, but do wash and clay before hand.

Use the rotary buffer around the 1200 to 1500 RPM range. Keep the pad flat when you can and don't buff to a dry buff.

Afterwards, apply a coat or two of wax and if there are any swirls the wax will mask them.

Take some before and after pictures and share them in this thread...

:)

Apokiliptik1
05-28-2010, 12:11 PM
advice check out the how-to videos they are great and you can take a bunch from them