PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a Brand New Car

Pages : [1] 2

ronnie335i
11-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new and this is my first post. Have already learned tons from all the info here. I do have a coupoe questions and I apologize because the answer has probably already been posted, but here goes. I'm buying a brand new 2007 BMW 3 series. It's already ordered. I'm not even going to drive it (except for the 15 miles from the dealership to my home) until I have applied a sealant and a polish of possibly two layers. My questions are:
(1) How would you go about detailing a brand new paint job
(2) What products would you use? Can I go wrong by using either Wolfgang, Pinnacle, or Mothers products?

Thanks.

Ronnie
(yes...it's a 335i) I'm getting excited! :)

sparkie
11-05-2006, 12:24 AM
[quote=ronnie335i]
(1) How would you go about detailing a brand new paint job
Wash, clay, polish, wax!

(2) What products would you use? Can I go wrong by using either Wolfgang, Pinnacle, or Mothers products?
I think Pinnacle is one of the best products out there, if not the best!

Welcome to AG!

ronnie335i
11-05-2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks, Sparkie.
So clay would be recommended or needed on a brand new paint job?
Ronnie335i

sparkie
11-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Thanks, Sparkie.
So clay would be recommended or needed on a brand new paint job?
Ronnie335i

That's what I did when I got my new truck! It's a year 1/2 old now. Here is a pic of my hood about two weeks ago maybe a little longer. Playing with some new wax!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/98F-150009.jpg

ScottB
11-05-2006, 09:31 AM
claying is beneficial to all new cars. They see rail dust, or cargo travel, and even truck travel from the ports. As such do it correct the first time, and then its easier to keep up.

Wash ---- Clay ---- Final Polish ---- Protect

If you decide on Wolfgang or Pinnacle and get the kit , you can use the paint cleaning lotions versus final polish as long as no swirls or scratching.

supercharged
11-05-2006, 10:00 AM
What color will that BMW be?

aceshigh73
11-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Here's a tip.... tell the dealership you dont want it cleaned (exterior).. unless they know what they are doing or are actually concerned about your car, all they will do is just put DISO (dealer installed Swirl Option) on your paint.....

ronnie335i
11-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Wow, those are some great reflections on your vehicles.

The color of the BMW is sparkling graphite, the darkest gray before going all black. I already have a black Acura that I'm going to keep as my 'winter rat' and also so I don't have to drive the 335i every day. This will also give me a couple days to fully detail and protect the interior and exterior of the BMW.

I also plan to purchase the Porter Cable 7424.

Ok. So......Wash ---- Clay ---- Final Polish ---- Protect

Got it. Thanks! I'll send photos!
Ronnie

ronnie335i
11-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Great tip. I will check with the dealership about exterior cleaning. The last thing I would want to deal with on day one is swirls!!!!

ryandamartini
11-05-2006, 11:58 AM
wash: Meguiars Gold Class. Excellent wash and can be picked up locally.

clay: Pinnacle Kit. Comes with clay, lube and a nice microfiber to start your collection.

polish: Poorboys SSR1

Sealant: Meguiars #21 on dark silver, youll thank me later :D For even better results top the 21 with DP Maxwax Paste. Also call ahead and tell them you DO NOT want the dealer prep!

hammer55
11-05-2006, 12:04 PM
with the prices of cars these days, If I were buying another car I would tell them up front if the cars finish wasn't perfect I wouldnt accept the car, exspeacially a black car or a red, even if they had to take it to a detrailer who new what they were doing, thats thier problem,

Nica
11-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I must agree with hamer55,

I recently purchased a Lexus GX470 silver color, now I'm not a big fan of silver but when I recieved the vehicle and drove it home the car and the color are a wonderfull combination.

Well what I'm trying to get to is that the dealership installed a "protection package" and after seeing what they did to the vehicle and the product they used I was kicking my self for purchasing the so called "protection package". I mean all I had to do is buy the products here at AG and apply it my self and I know I could have done a better shob then the dealership.

Well that is just my opinion.

ScottB
11-05-2006, 02:53 PM
I ordered my Vette from a Texas dealer to be delivered to Florida. The courtesy dealer knew not to clean it, not to remove any tape, and to notify me as soon as she hit ground. Awesome experience and I rather enjoyed cleaning her my way from day one without someone else damaging her.

When I recently bought the wife her SRX it was already on lot. They were told to gas it and release it. No touchy ... while I love the Cadillac dealer (they serviced our CTS for several years without issue), it was apparent when I saw them washing an Escalade with a broom that sometimes its best to drive a dirty car. They were nice enough to place "DO NOT WASH" all over my file, and even the express oil change team knows to leave it alone.

ronnie335i
11-05-2006, 02:54 PM
No protection package for me!
So many products.....I'm going to have to build a spreadsheet and list the top 3 or 4 products people are talking about under the headings of Wash, clay, polish and sealant since I'm so new to detailing.

FloridaNative
11-05-2006, 03:59 PM
claying is beneficial to all new cars. They see rail dust, or cargo travel, and even truck travel from the ports. As such do it correct the first time, and then its easier to keep up.

Wash ---- Clay ---- Final Polish ---- Protect

If you decide on Wolfgang or Pinnacle and get the kit , you can use the paint cleaning lotions versus final polish as long as no swirls or scratching.

:iagree: 100%