PDA

View Full Version : Product Warning --- FX Wheel Cleaner

ScottB
11-05-2006, 10:06 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1922_136320687

I am warning anyone using this wheel cleaner to be careful and that it is obviously acid based. While it cleaned well, and did as advertised without stripping clearcoat or discoloring, I was surprised at the heavy acidic smell and that it was not noted on the bottle.

In truth I never use store bought wheel cleaners as most use lye or acid as the cleaning agent. That said, I ran out and needed to get something since I forgot to ask Jason to order. So .... I grabbed the one bottle on the shelve with a trusted name (I love their Powerballs and Metal Polishes) and headed home. Needless to say I was surprised that it was not citrus based on just surfacant based as had hoped.

Now please understand I am not knocking the product, nor the outcome. That said I personally feel acid is too harsh for wheel cleaning on a normal basis. Anyone using I highly suggest some hints ... cool wheels, wet wheels first , and do not allow to sit very long.

justin_murphy
11-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the alert Killr. I agree with you on the use of acid for everyday cleaning.

Reddwarf
11-05-2006, 10:28 AM
What?! You ran out of a cleanng product? I'm shocked and dismayed. :D

Whitethunder46
11-05-2006, 12:54 PM
What are some good wheel cleaners that aren't acid?

EDIT: Can you use Megs APC as a wheel cleaner? And is it safe to do?

justin_murphy
11-05-2006, 01:35 PM
I do use Meg's Wheel Brightner cut 4:1 for initial details or really bad German cars. Cuts right through the dust soooo easy. I have not had one problem with it. You just have to know your wheels and what they are made of too. 90% of the time I just use and APC or degreaser and my Versa Brush.

Whitethunder46
11-05-2006, 01:56 PM
I do use Meg's Wheel Brightner cut 4:1 for initial details or really bad German cars. Cuts right through the dust soooo easy. I have not had one problem with it. You just have to know your wheels and what they are made of too. 90% of the time I just use and APC or degreaser and my Versa Brush.

Excellent. I'm planning on ordering the gallon sized APC from megs for interior cleaning. Would like to use this on as many applications as possible.

How well does it work as a bug remover compared to actually specific bug removers, such as poorboys?

ScottB
11-05-2006, 02:36 PM
P21S is my fav and safe on all wheels. DP Wheel Cleaner is a nice second and much more economical. Lots of other choices including just soap and water, but be careful and heed the directions.

supercharged
11-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Mothers, Meguir's, Turtle wax, Armor All - all those wheel cleaners have acids in them. If it's not acid A, it's acid B. They all have those hard to pronounce chemicals, which are acids. I just stay with DP. Strong, economical, safe.