PDA

View Full Version : A legitimate question!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Expert Car Care
06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm watching a lot of these instructional detailing videos lately and I notice they NEVER use a power washer.

Always a garden hose with hard water. ... Why?

I have used a powerwasher on hundreds of cars every year for many years and have never, ever caused any damage, blemish, or otherwise negative effect on the paint.

This includes higher end cars like Porsche, vette and Aston.

So, why do they never use a pressure washer when cleaning and rinsing a car? Are they afraid of hurting the paint?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/smilies/Detailer.gif

ScottB
06-29-2010, 04:32 PM
I think "pressure" has alot to do with it.

Shane731
06-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Don't need one, so I don't use one. I see no reason to spend half an hour putting a pressure washer together when I can use a hose to accomplish what I need to get done - initial rinse on the paint, tires, and wheel wells; fill the buckets; rinse off soap/degreaser; rinse the wash mitt out. What's the big deal? :dunno: Damaging the paint is not a concern, it's just that digging out the pressure washer and putting it all together is not at all worth the hassle for me.

Dubbin1
06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
I just don't see a need for one even on the most soil covered 4x4.

A4 1.8tqm
06-29-2010, 05:27 PM
I love using a PW, for pre-rinse, wheel wells and foam canon. It's also great for pollen/dust buildup in the little crevices (if you have that problem). Just get quick connects... setting up a PW consists of quick connect the hose and plug in the power cord.

I think whether or not it is completely necessary is beside the point, I mean, how many things do us Autogeeks do that is over the top anyway? :D

AeroCleanse
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Probably the same reason you don't see them do rinse-less washes, most people don't do it that way.

LuxuryMobile
06-29-2010, 06:16 PM
IMO...

it may have to do with the fact that AutoGeek makes money when these videos convince the average Joe that he can get great results by using the simple steps displayed in the videos.
Most weekend warriors dont bother with a pressure washer. If a pressure was being used in the video, it may intimidate the viewer of the video, and turn them away from products being used...
Idk, just a thought.

RTexasF
06-29-2010, 07:47 PM
You'll have to pry my pressure washer away from my cold dead fingers. I won't be without it.

loudog2
06-29-2010, 07:51 PM
I use mine every time after polishing. I want to make sure all the dust and polish residue is out of all cracks. Cuts down on claying time too.

Wendell Jarvis
06-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Don't need one, so I don't use one. I see no reason to spend half an hour putting a pressure washer together when I can use a hose to accomplish what I need to get done - initial rinse on the paint, tires, and wheel wells; fill the buckets; rinse off soap/degreaser; rinse the wash mitt out. What's the big deal? :dunno: Damaging the paint is not a concern, it's just that digging out the pressure washer and putting it all together is not at all worth the hassle for me.

:iagree:

Dubbin1
06-29-2010, 09:02 PM
setting up a PW consists of quick connect the hose and plug in the power cord.

The only cord on mine is the one I pull to start it :)

Flash Gordon
06-29-2010, 09:39 PM
I can always spot an rookie when I see a foam gun

Maldini
06-29-2010, 09:41 PM
I am simply a weekend enthusiast, and I couldn't do without my pressure washer. I live in a newer part of the city where homes are still being built and needless to say that when it rains, things get pretty muddy. I get as much off the paint as possible before I touch it with anything else.

If I am washing a dusty car, or one with some water spots after a rain shower, the garden hose is plenty.

Expert Car Care
06-29-2010, 10:11 PM
I can always spot an rookie when I see a foam gun

Using foam gun = Inexperienced?

maximus20895
06-29-2010, 10:17 PM
I use mine every time after polishing. I want to make sure all the dust and polish residue is out of all cracks. Cuts down on claying time too.

Does the pressure washer remove dried up polish/compounds in the cracks?