PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss 921 (QD) -- Quick Review

ScottB
11-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Jason sent me a bottle of this to try out knowing that I had just Duraglossed the SRX last weekend. (Used 111) What was immediately undenyable was that this is a form of Aquawax by Duragloss. It has the same smell, texture, and leaves the same gloss trail. What I actually liked more about 921 versus Aquawax is that it doesnt streak on glass in sun. I also liked that I did not have to go back a rebuff any areas where it was used to thick. All around, I find it to be the better Duragloss Qd'er and suppose it is watered down to work more as a qd'er versus spraywax.

Noticable slickness and gloss are apparent, with less streaking and easy to use. Means I got another new favorite, but really need some more 425 to run them past my former favorite.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1921_72500443

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-fast-clean-shine-detail-spray.html

justin_murphy
11-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I to noticed that it had the same smell a AW. I used it to remove Meg's #26 on an Xterra yesterday. It was a very nice QD. I can't wait to try it out for cleaning capabilities.

ScottB
11-11-2006, 10:33 AM
I didnt notice any appreciable cleaning ability. My guess 2 parts Aquawax, to 1 part water, to .2 parts Duragloss soap. Thus a qd'er versus spraywax. But since Aquawax works best with water activation (at least in my use -- spray on damp but washed car) it really is not all that different.

ashsarna
11-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Same here, it is very easy to use and doesnt streak. The reason I dont use it as much is I think it doesnt have strong cleaning abitities for a QD. Prefer something that does both, like Chemical Guys or PB SnW. I use spray sealants, AW, after washes so a qd is only required for me between washes for the light cleaning.

joe.p
11-11-2006, 11:05 AM
I used it yesterday after coating my wheel X2 with AW a couple weeks ago ..this was the first time i have been able to use warm water and a mild cleaner to clean up..i wish i would have taken a few quick pics..I would say the AW offer some good protection from break dust build up and clean up was a breeze.FC&S is to be used like S&W and according to AL53 has a bit more cleaning ability..

other products i've used.
KAIO
KSG
PBs Pro Polish
Pbs wheel wax

AW was the only product that seem to last..i washed yesterday the last wash was when i posted my pics for my winter prep..btw,i had some work done on the car and i requested twice that they not wash the car..well they did what ever soap was used strip my sealant and marred the sh*t out of my paint..

Al-53
11-11-2006, 12:49 PM
FC&S does have a solvent in it..a quick evaporative type cleaner.. reason for no strreaking...and surfactants to trap dirt and dust...it is not a heavy type cleaner...but more for light dust...fingerprints..birdbombs ...it is not a waterless wash type product...

there is a difference between 951 and 921....AW has no cleaners and not a QD ..it is a spray sealant..921 is a QD as it has cleaners as most QD's have...alcohol or butly-ether is used in Most QD's..

the protection in FC&S is not as strong as straight AW...

here is a post from DC by some who shows his vette and asked the chemist a question

I called Duragloss about Mixing FC&S and AW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I go to the shows I need to clean my car and make it shine in a short time period. I have 105 on the car and I have been mixing the FC&S with AW.
I have a bottle with a graduated scale on the side and I mix one third AW and two thirds FC&S. This is enough fast clean and shine to clean the car and the AW steps up the shine. I called Duragloss today and talked to BILL I wanted to know what I should do if I get enough AW on that it Begin's to mute the color. He said that if that happens just use straight FC&S a few times and it will level out the AW. He said that they had never thought of that before but he thought that it was a good idea.. Bill is a chemist and he told me the two are compatible. He said just don't mix 951 with 601 the bottle may blow up.
Anyone who is using DG products if you want to give your car a quick detail and really ramp up the shine give it a try.

AL

Surfer
11-11-2006, 12:50 PM
DG 921 is pretty good, I like it as well. I had some little flower things that fell on my truck from a tree (or somewere lol) and from the rain, it left these blotched color spots around the truck. I tried it against Quickshine and the older WG QD'er, WG didn't do anything (does it have cleaning abilities?), but Quickshine and DG 921 both cleaned up the spots easily and appear to have similar gloss.

I've just used AW, the wash, and Fast Clean and Shine, love the DG line so far. Might buy their sealant to try after seeing Killr's and other's pics of using it.

Al-53
11-11-2006, 01:17 PM
If you go with the sealant..I would recomend the 105 ...it does have a mild cleaner..but so mild it will hurt a previous layer of 105..it is made to clean off any fallout and dead wax or sealant to ensure a clean surface....DG said them selves said that 105 is the best they have and is layerable and the cleaner is not strong enough to hurt a coat of 105.....and 2-3 coats for best look and duarability...

AL

ScottB
11-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I still would argue that Aquawax is no real spray sealant, why ?? Because its durability is limited to a single wash even with their soap. The gloss and slickness are gone immediately. Not so with common spray sealants like DP, UPP, and Wolfgang, but very similar to Z8.

I really find both products to be qd'er+ type products. With no streaking, I gotta give 921 the nod.

joe.p
11-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I still would beleive that Aquawax is no real spray sealant, why ??
I really find both products to be qd'er+ type products. With no streaking, I gotta give 921 the nod.
Scott if you state an opinion you may be labled as a tough guy ..i changed your word from (argue) to beleive :p